Team-BHP - Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Vintage Cars & Classics in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/)
-   -   Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/43088-old-bollywood-indian-films-best-archives-old-cars.html)

The viewing of any old film that features cars and many cars, gives us an insight of what any particular old car looked like during its hey days.Take for instance its interiors-the dash and the upholstery can reveal what it was like in an oven fresh condition from the company.
And the exteriors- the paint job (B&W films do not reveal the paint work and colours used other than the colour black or white), the ornamentations and kinds of accessories like the fender top search lights, typical roof racks, sun shades and so on.
My most favourite films Grease, Godfather (original), Saturday Night Fever,Going Steady are some Hollywood movies that show many, many old classic US made cars."The Day of the Jackal" shows French cars and many other European cars. "The Odessa File" shows German and also European cars(then W. Germany)
Among Hindi films we have "Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi"(shows many, many cars and the Mumbai traffic as in 1958-Madhubala's Austin A-40 Somerset is gleaming and the three brothers call their old car a Champion, which is actually a Ford Model A of the late 1920's, also lots of Dodges and Plymouths with the villians),"Sadhu aur Shaitaan"(an old Mercury taxi with Mehmood and again the Mumbai traffic of the late 1960's),"Kashmir Ki Kali"(shows a lovely, cream Studebaker Champion convertible omnipresent with Shammi Kapoor), Teesri Manzil (shows an ice white Ambassador OHV maybe a 1961-62 model) and many many more.
These films and many more such movies are the real archives for our viewing these cars in their hey days. I pause the VCD/DVD for a while whenever a beautiful car is seen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 917901)
Teesri Manzil (shows an ice white Ambassador OHV maybe a 1961-62 model) and many many more.

Do you mean the amby mk1 in which Shammi & Asha Parekh go out (with one of her friends hiding in the boot) and then the famous songs in the flim follow? But I recall that one was a light, parrot green, wasnt it?

Also lets not forget mentioning the heralds- the red & black tatty one (MRY 5808) in Pati patni aur woh, the equally tatty blue one in Golmaal (amol palekar), plus the much better ones, mostly used "topless" in older films...!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanher (Post 917941)
Do you mean the amby mk1 in which Shammi & Asha Parekh go out (with one of her friends hiding in the boot) and then the famous songs in the flim follow? But I recall that one was a light, parrot green, wasnt it?

Also lets not forget mentioning the heralds- the red & black tatty one (MRY 5808) in Pati patni aur woh, the equally tatty blue one in Golmaal (amol palekar), plus the much better ones, mostly used "topless" in older films...!

Thanks for the additions Stanher. Also a white Herald in Jawaani Deewani (Jaya Bhaduri and Randhir Kapoor). The Teesri Manzil Amby which the hero and heroine use was ice white - I have the VCD and will tell about it exactly and maybe post its picture!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 917951)
Thanks for the additions Stanher. Also a white Herald in Jawaani Deewani (Jaya Bhaduri and Randhir Kapoor).

Incidentally if you noticed closely there are actually 2 heralds used in that film- first a '63-64 mk1, then later in the song "Yeh jawani" an older ('61-62) mk1, albeit fitted with the same numberplate (MRY 3?07). The difference between the 2 is most noticeable by the front indicators and the dashboard/instruments. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 917901)
also lots of Dodges and Plymouths with the villians),"Sadhu aur Shaitaan"(an old Mercury taxi with Mehmood and again the Mumbai traffic of the late 1960's

Actually she was a DeSoto.:)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/848971-post2123.html

Cars in films? What about a Bollywood version of this site?

IMCDb.org: Home page

I think Amitabh had some real fab taste in cars; most of his action movies showed him driving up in American muscle cars (Mustang, Camaro etc.) or luxo barges (Caddy's etc.). Best part is, the action scenes had them getting ripped, hard acceleration & power slides included. Or maybe I have noticed his cars since its his old movies that I have watched the most!

Any pictures of the awesome muscle cars that found their way in Bollywood flicks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 918513)
I think Amitabh had some real fab taste in cars; most of his action movies showed him driving up in American muscle cars (Mustang, Camaro etc.) or luxo barges (Caddy's etc.). Best part is, the action scenes had them getting ripped, hard acceleration & power slides included. Or maybe I have noticed his cars since its his old movies that I have watched the most!

Any pictures of the awesome muscle cars that found their way in Bollywood flicks?

You must have obviously seen Kalia, where Amitabh a.k.a Kalia a.k.a Kallu takes Jaffery for the ride of his life, ulitmately trashing the camaro/mustang (I cant recall at the moment) so badly,just the chassis and V 6 engine remain.:)

You will see some superb chase scenes in Don, a 911 Targa in Shaan, an E type (with supercharger pipes!) and an early Alfa in Trishul. And lets not forget all the race scenes with Feroze Khan in Qurbani.

On a similar note, Shammi Kapoor romanced Sharmila with alongwith his cronies on half a dozen Lambrettas in Paris in "An evening in Paris". The sequence was a direct lift from "Come September".

hmmm..
big b always drove great cars
his films like deewar in which he goes and meets shashi kapoor
"the aaj mere paas bangla hai gadi hai scene "
in another scene where he goes to the temple "aaj kush to bahut hoge tum scene" which features a Volkswagen microbus.(if i'm not mistaken !)
another scene in deewar where he walks out of a hotel and a man fires at him remember the red car ? i wonder which one it is.
in deewar again when davar sahab meet him for the first time on the dock and says "gaadi me baitho " which is again one sexy car
another scene in deewar where he flees in a chevy truck after smuggling the gold
again in agneepath where everyone shoots him and he is (probably!) in his black mustang.
in agneepath again when he goes to mauritius and meets danny he is driven in some sexy car .
in K3G we see him getting out of a bentley.in the same movie he gets off a Chopper and says "Cool machine should buy some more of these" (what style man)
Aks features him driving a merc.

and how can we forget the Rampyaari:)
and the car in Satte pe satta

i'll keep on addding (big Amitji Fan lol:)

Oh you bet! "Don" had some awesome cars. In fact, Hindi flicks from the 60's & 70's had far better rides than those of today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 918667)
Oh you bet! "Don" had some awesome cars. In fact, Hindi flicks from the 60's & 70's had far better rides than those of today.

Ill say. Mustangs, Comaros and other barges have been replaced by Cielos, Esteems and more Cielos! I suppose they are the cheapest sedans to blow up.:)

Another movie with great cars was Amar Akbar Anthony. Remember that wicked Chrysler 300 limo?

Some English movies like "The Road to Perdition" have good number of Fords, "The Yellow Rolls Royce" about Rolls car, "Odds & Even" funny Bud & Spencer. Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times" have cars from 30's. Charlie Chaplin's some other short movies also have cars of 20's B/w. Once I have seen in movie like Naya Daur or some other have cars like Hillman in background looks like taxi's in Bombay in 50's. Recent movies like 123 also
have one vintage car, don't know which car it is? looks like Wolsely/Singer.

BTW, Whats the "Kissing" car in Lage raho Munnabhai ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 918678)
Another movie with great cars was Amar Akbar Anthony. Remember that wicked Chrysler 300 limo?

What about those 2 station wagons, a red one driven by Pran in which he is chased by the villain (who's in a white station-wagon)
Are those chevys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadival (Post 918983)
BTW, Whats the "Kissing" car in Lage raho Munnabhai ?

That was a '48/49 Oldsmobile futuramic. Manvendra Singh had a similar car (maybe the same?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosdeville
You will see some superb chase scenes in Don, a 911 Targa in Shaan, an E type (with supercharger pipes!) and an early Alfa in Trishul. And lets not forget all the race scenes with Feroze Khan in Qurbani.

Excellent memories Karlosdeville -The Porsche 911 Targa in Shaan was parked when Shashi Kapoor and Big B were seated by the roadside. A very rare car those days in India. also the opening scene in Shaan shows a maroon coloured Buick Super 8- a convertible perhaps.
In Qurbani Feroz Khan also gets the doors of a brand new cream Merc ripped apart by reversing the car with the doors left open and hitting against the pillars of the buildings parking lot.
Quote:

Originally Posted by stanher
Incidentally if you noticed closely there are actually 2 heralds used in that film- first a '63-64 mk1, then later in the song "Yeh jawani" an older ('61-62) mk1, albeit fitted with the same numberplate (MRY 3?07). The difference between the 2 is most noticeable by the front indicators and the dashboard/instruments.

Stanher very good observation by you. I'll have to see the Heralds. In Bombay to Goa Shatrughan Sinha and the rogues/villians chase the Tata 1210 bus, in which Big B and Aruna Irani are travelling. Initially the rogues move on an Oxford blue Ambassador Mark I, that looks very original. Later on an Oxford blue Mark II Ambassador is shown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jubin
hmmm..
big b always drove great cars
his films like deewar in which he goes and meets shashi kapoor
"the aaj mere paas bangla hai gadi hai scene "

jubin was that a metallic light blue Toyota Corolla from the early 1970's?