Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2008, 13:39   #46
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
It appears to be a dual cowl tourer, the rear doors are much deeper than is usual...
Quote:
#61LG has an interesting body, originally a Cabriolet
Now come one Julian, either you are not telling us the facts about the car or are you saying this is the first time all the experts are seeing a Ghost like this??

To a layman like me with an eye for detail it looks to be an extremely original car and definitely not rebodied in India.

If I got it right its a Barker tourer. Weren't they referred to as barrel sided tourers?

Last edited by DKG : 6th November 2008 at 13:55.
Old 6th November 2008, 15:47   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Now come one Julian, either you are not telling us the facts about the car or are you saying this is the first time all the experts are seeing a Ghost like this??

To a layman like me with an eye for detail it looks to be an extremely original car and definitely not rebodied in India.

If I got it right its a Barker tourer. Weren't they referred to as barrel sided tourers?
#61UG is listed as a Barker Cabriolet, maybe it was rebodied in the UK as many were? maybe the RR record is incorrect? Park Ward might have further information, lets see.
Did you get the chassis number of that Derby Bentley?

Really you and Karl's name should title this thread not mine?

Last edited by Julian UK : 6th November 2008 at 15:52.
Old 6th November 2008, 16:09   #48
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
#61UG is listed as a Barker Cabriolet
Julian the car we are discussing is 61 LG not UG
Old 6th November 2008, 17:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Julian the car we are discussing is 61 LG not UG
Sorry for the typo #61LG is listed as a Barker Cabriolet. I'll ask Park Ward if he has a photo of the car when new.

Last edited by Julian UK : 6th November 2008 at 17:54.
Old 6th November 2008, 20:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

All of us seem to have the pictures from the same angle, (owing to the protective rails around the cars) thats why i tried to get shots from another angle and some oddities.

Copper and Brass in the RR Limousine engine bay. I was there when they started this car. What a silent purr it kicked in with. I tell you it was a pleasure to see her. The absolute gentleman of an owner willingly opened the car for me to see and take pictures at will. A very distinguished person if I might add. Quite apt for this car.

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05832-large.jpg

The Boa Constrictor horn

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05837-large.jpg
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05838-large.jpg

The communication system between the passenger and the driver in the car. I was told that in olden days leather was cheaper than Jacquard cloth, hence the driver's seat was covered in leather and the passenger's in jacquard cloth. Pardon my photo-shopping skills. I obviously have a lot to learn

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05965-medium.jpg
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05964-medium.jpg

Ornamental side panel

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05969-medium.jpg

The coachwork sill plate

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05971-medium.jpg

This exquisite 1954 RR Wraith Limousine.

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05976-medium.jpg
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05977-medium.jpg
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05978-medium.jpg
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05979-medium.jpg

The star "K" brigade along with the 29 Nurberg Limousine

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05928-medium.jpg
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05929-medium.jpg
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05930-medium.jpg
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05931-medium.jpg

The absolutely tasteless but still unique Udaipur Cricket Car built on a 1934 RR 20/25HP

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05763-medium.jpg
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05918-medium.jpg

Jackie's 1937 Jaguar SS 100

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05899-medium.jpg
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05900-medium.jpg

Note its adjustable shocks

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-dsc05901-medium.jpg

More follows.....
Old 6th November 2008, 21:07   #51
BHPian

DKG : One Lucky Guy. To be photographed with Nick Mason ... A dream come true for you ?
Old 6th November 2008, 21:41   #52
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the typo #61LG is listed as a Barker Cabriolet. I'll ask Park Ward if he has a photo of the car when new.
That would be wonderful. Any info on ownership would also complete the picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
DKG : One Lucky Guy. To be photographed with Nick Mason ... A dream come true for you ?
When you grow up listening to these legendary bands you cannot but appreciate their tremendous art. BTW he also owns a legendary Ferrari 250 GTO
Old 6th November 2008, 22:21   #53
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Julian here's the tale of a similar body which 50 UG received. Perhaps it was in vogue to change bodies to one's liking those days.

1921 ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER GHOST DUAL COWL OPEN TOURER By BARKER

Chassis number 50UG left the Rolls-Royce Works in September 1921 fitted with touring Phaeton coachwork by Hooper. The motor car was displayed at the India Motor Show that year in Calcutta from where it was purchased directly by H.H.The Maharaja of Charkhari. In 1926 The Maharaja ordered new coachwork to be fitted, namely a polished aluminium Dual Cowl Open Tourer body by Barker & Co. which it retains to this day.
Old 7th November 2008, 01:51   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Julian here's the tale of a similar body which 50 UG received. Perhaps it was in vogue to change bodies to one's liking those days.

1921 ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER GHOST DUAL COWL OPEN TOURER By BARKER

Chassis number 50UG left the Rolls-Royce Works in September 1921 fitted with touring Phaeton coachwork by Hooper. The motor car was displayed at the India Motor Show that year in Calcutta from where it was purchased directly by H.H.The Maharaja of Charkhari. In 1926 The Maharaja ordered new coachwork to be fitted, namely a polished aluminium Dual Cowl Open Tourer body by Barker & Co. which it retains to this day.
Unfortunately there is no more information available about #61LG nor any photo available.

Here's #50UG
Note the door proportions:

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-50ug-1921-hooper-tourer-charkhari-1.jpg
Photo from team-bhp

Last edited by Julian UK : 7th November 2008 at 01:54.
Old 7th November 2008, 16:05   #55
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no more information available about #61LG nor any photo available.

Here's #50UG
Note the door proportions:
Any records on who the first owner of 61LG was? BTW this car is a three door body unlike 50UG. Given the gears come off the floor it made sense not to have a door on the driver's side. I remember the Hyderabad Daimler you restored also didn't have a door on the driver's side.

I wonder how 50UG got its present body. Would Barker ship the body to a local installer? Or did the cars go back to England for the install?
Old 7th November 2008, 16:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:

It seems the Silver Ghost #61LG probably has a replica body, Park Ward's opinion is:

"The wings look Barker to me, but the body is unusual, as you say, the rear doors are too narrow. There is no o/s front door whereas the car has inside levers and no obstacle to prevent its opening, so I guess it was made like that because it was easier and cheaper. Quite a good job nevertheless, typical barrel-sided tourer like so many British-made replicas."

Still, its a lovely car.

About the Derby Bentley.
#B186 AH engine no.C3BX 1934 the only Mann Egerton DHC built 1st owner Sir Roderick Wigan
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-b186-ah-1934-mann-egerton-dhc-sir-r-wigan-b.jpg

Here's a photo of the car in earlier days from Johnnie Green's book:

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-b186-ah-mann-egerton-dhc.jpg
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2008, 09:11   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone have photos of Imran Khan handing over the prize to Dharmaditya Patnaik for his 20hp hand control Rolls? He is looking to have a copy.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:50   #58
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen for the time being let us agree to disagree on assertions made about 61LG. Once pictures and documentary evidence is posted the matter will be resolved. Until then lets place the discussion on hold. Thanks
Old 9th November 2008, 21:00   #59
DKG
Senior - BHPian

During conversation with a friend who has seen another Delahaye 135 at Pebble Beach he mentioned that the car he saw there had a plate mentioning the Prince of Berar's name. So I guess the Prince's car after all may not be the Jodhpur car, as indicated by the present owner.

Having said that many cars seem to get exotic histories attached to them in the face of inadequate documentation. It still needs to be established which car was originally Azamjah's. I will request the Jodhpur car's owner to share more info on what led him to the conclusion that his car originally came from Hyderabad

Last edited by DKG : 9th November 2008 at 21:07.
Old 10th November 2008, 04:48   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
During conversation with a friend who has seen another Delahaye 135 at Pebble Beach he mentioned that the car he saw there had a plate mentioning the Prince of Berar's name. So I guess the Prince's car after all may not be the Jodhpur car, as indicated by the present owner.

Having said that many cars seem to get exotic histories attached to them in the face of inadequate documentation. It still needs to be established which car was originally Azamjah's. I will request the Jodhpur car's owner to share more info on what led him to the conclusion that his car originally came from Hyderabad
DKG, check the reference to this car being owned by "Morvi" Jah:
1937 Delahaye 135M chassis information

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks