Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 12:46   #106
BHPian

Hi, must say that's an amazing collection of mind boggling beauties.Thanks for the pics.
Old 25th July 2009, 17:01   #107
Senior - BHPian

Thank you everyone was great knowing about these cars.I believe next year this is scheduled to be in delhi is that true ?
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:50   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Maharani Gayatri Devi's beautiful Bentley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
There's a lovely tale of romance associated with this car. When Maharani Gayatri Devi and her husband Sawai Man Singh were holidaying in Europe, once on an outing a sports car flashed past to which the Maharani exclaimed "What was that!!"

Apparently the next morning the doorbell rang, and the Maharani opened the door to be greeted by Jaguar officials who were there to deliver this stunning brand new XK 120 to the lady. It was a gift from her doting husband. She still retains it!

Imagine, one of the world's most beautiful women driving one of the world's most glamourous sports cars! It doesn't get better.
We recently lost one of the most glamourous ambassadors of Indian royalty, legends of her grace and elegance are timeless. Her taste was no doubt reflected in the cars in the Jaipur stable - two of her cars stood out at the Cartier show. I believe she did attend the event though I did not see her.

Her warm demeanour and charismatic persona will be sorely missed.

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-rajmata.jpg

Maharani Gayatri Devi, Rajmata of Jaipur.
23 May 1919 - 29 July 2009
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:30   #109
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed sad news. She was the Indian answer to Jacky Onasis. Her husband was an equally interesting personality.
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:34   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The newspaper report mentioned she was an avid collector and I did see some pictures of her cars at the concourse event, Do you have a list of her entire collection?
Old 4th August 2009, 10:42   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
The newspaper report mentioned she was an avid collector and I did see some pictures of her cars at the concourse event, Do you have a list of her entire collection?
Her bright blue Bentley and 'old English white' XK120 were present at Cartier, I'm not aware of what other cars are currently with the family.

In Barwani's book I remember there is a super photo of the Rajmata in her younger days standing next to a F&F bodied Delahaye, probably the Jodhpur car, holding a tennis racket.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:51   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
This is indeed sad news. She was the Indian answer to Jacky Onasis. Her husband was an equally interesting personality.
Wasif, I know you meant it well, but to compare Maharani Gayatri Devi with Jackie Onasis is not suitable in my opinion. Jackie O may have been known by more people in the world (even aliens first land in the US after all!) but Maharani Gayatri Devi was, and always will be for me, of a much higher ground. Sorry again Wasif, for this post. I'm not castigating you, it's just that we have had a very close association with the Cooch Behar Royal family for centuries (although the Maharani's mother was from the Gaekwad family of Baroda) and know that they stood for much more than the grace, good looks and glamour that is generally (and sometimes all that is) associated with her and her parents.
Old 5th August 2009, 13:04   #113
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
the Maharani's mother was from the Gaekwad family of Baroda
With the dynamic genes of Maharani Chimnabai in her blood Maharani Gayatri Devi in her own right did a lot to promote the welfare of the girl child and was much loved by people in Rajasthan.

She was obviously quite fond of cars too. I recall an old Raja mentioning to me that she was quite a sight in Ooty during the racing season driving a convertible Packard coupe.

I think with her passing a most significant representation of that ertswhile princely era fades into history.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:33   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

I came across these two pictures on the VCCCI website, probably taken at a dinner during the event. It shows a pedal car bearing GONDAL 6 registration.

India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-cartier01.jpg
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-cartier02.jpg
Old 7th September 2009, 15:46   #115
BHPian

Amazing pics specially the Red Merc

Thanks
Old 13th February 2010, 02:08   #116
Senior - BHPian

Any idea when the next event is supposed to be and when is it scheduled?
Old 15th February 2010, 01:39   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Any idea when the next event is supposed to be and when is it scheduled?
I understand that the dates and venue for the next Cartier event are yet to be finalized. As soon as I get any confirmed information, I shall share the same.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:33   #118
Senior - BHPian

Recently came across a teaser write-up on the 2008 Cartier event in a coffee table like publication of the Times Of India called time'n style, Nov-Dec 2008. This is a pre-event article, now trying to see if I can get the article if any on the event.
The last picture cut was the Merc 300 sedan of Kota, but the article is complete.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-magazine-12.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 27th March 2010 at 13:35.
Old 28th March 2010, 01:19   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
We recently lost one of the most glamourous ambassadors of Indian royalty, legends of her grace and elegance are timeless. Her taste was no doubt reflected in the cars in the Jaipur stable - two of her cars stood out at the Cartier show. I believe she did attend the event though I did not see her.

Her warm demeanour and charismatic persona will be sorely missed.

Attachment 169263

I had the good fortune of meeting Her Highness on several ocassions, and while going through some photographs I found this photograph taken at one of the Vintage & Classic Car Rallies, which I had attended at Jaipur.
Attached Thumbnails
India’s First International Concours D’Elegance - Pictures & Report-gayatri-devi.jpg  

Old 19th July 2010, 16:16   #120
BHPian

I heard un confirmed reports that the cartier 2011 show is in delhi in feb and is co sponsored by HMCI.Any info ? And who is selecting cars? HMCI ?IN fairness invitees should be informed well in advance like NOW to enable cars to be well prepared to do us proud a second time round.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks