Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 22:57   #1591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
I think this one may just be a better deal ;-)

http://newdelhi.olx.in/benz-car-at-c...-iid-561574027
Bowman, I don't know who you are, and/or what is your level of knowledge is, but if (IF) this ad is genuine, then its a steal even if (IF) it were to be dieselized. I see a side strip missing, no problem. I don't know if you have realized that this is a W108, not a W 115. 250 or 280, S or SE. I can see a rush for this car already.
Why don't I rush too? I have enough examples of this model already

Cheers harit
Old 31st January 2014, 11:20   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Bowman, I don't know who you are, and/or what is your level of knowledge is, but if (IF) this ad is genuine, then its a steal even if (IF) it were to be dieselized. I see a side strip missing, no problem. I don't know if you have realized that this is a W108, not a W 115. 250 or 280, S or SE. I can see a rush for this car already.

Cheers harit
Had rushed to call the number listed a few months ago when the ad was put up. The guy on the other end says that he has put up no such ad and that he believes it's a prank being played on him
Old 31st January 2014, 11:29   #1593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think this one may just be a better deal ;-)

http://newdelhi.olx.in/benz-car-at-c...-iid-561574027
Quote:
Bowman, I don't know who you are, and/or what is your level of knowledge is, but if (IF) this ad is genuine, then its a steal even if (IF) it were to be dieselized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivraj88 View Post
Had rushed to call the number listed a few months ago when the ad was put up. The guy on the other end says that he has put up no such ad and that he believes it's a prank being played on him
This car was for sale in Ahmednagar quite some time back. It was indeed dieselised, but nice otherwise. No idea what became of it, but even at that time the price wasn't too exhorbitant - I think 2.5 or thereabout.
Old 31st January 2014, 12:58   #1594
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
That Sir I would like to humbly point out is none of your concern. This is an add posted by someone in public domain and I have posted it here because that is what this thread is all about...

And BTW here's a W115 for sale in Jaipur. I'm not sure the upholstery is original despite what the buyer affirms in the add. Perhaps repainted as well. There seems to be slight bulging in the sheet metal behind front left wheel arch?

http://jaipur.olx.in/1969-mercedes-w...-iid-595464341

Last edited by BowMan : 31st January 2014 at 13:00.
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 15:55   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That Sir I would like to humbly point out is none of your concern. .....And BTW here's a W115 for sale in Jaipur. I'm not sure the upholstery is original despite what the buyer affirms in the add. Perhaps repainted as well. There seems to be slight bulging in the sheet metal behind front left wheel arch?

http://jaipur.olx.in/1969-mercedes-w...-iid-595464341
You are right, I did not mean to be overbearing, but when I saw a W108 I felt that is one to go for without waiting and wanted to push you in that direction. No insuniation whatsoever was meant.
About this W115, the side trim is wrong, in 1969 these weheels were not fitted, and the upholstry as you saw is redone. The grill is missing strips.
And the wheel arch covers the lower side strip, so something is definitely going on there. Do you intend to buy a Merc? I would look for a Fintail.

Cheers harit
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:28   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
You are right, I did not mean to be overbearing, but when I saw a W108 I felt that is one to go for without waiting and wanted to push you in that direction. No insuniation whatsoever was meant.
About this W115, the side trim is wrong, in 1969 these weheels were not fitted, and the upholstry as you saw is redone. The grill is missing strips.
And the wheel arch covers the lower side strip, so something is definitely going on there. Do you intend to buy a Merc? I would look for a Fintail.

Cheers harit
Cheers Harit! None given so none taken...

Found this interesting w126 350 SDL on sale in Pune. Now with my limited knowledge a very low number of 350 SDLs were made only for US and Canada market so this should be a LHD? Also the OM 603 engine does not have a very good reputation when it comes to reliability...

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w126.jpg
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w1261.jpg
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-w1262.jpg

http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...z-sdl-D334725/
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:51   #1597
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Cheers Harit! None given so none taken...

Found this interesting w126 350 SDL on sale in Pune. Now with my limited knowledge a very low number of 350 SDLs were made only for US and Canada market so this should be a LHD? Also the OM 603 engine does not have a very good reputation when it comes to reliability...

Attachment 1200916
Attachment 1200917
Attachment 1200918

http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...z-sdl-D334725/
All 300 SDL's were left hand drive. There was never a 350 SDL if I recollect. This must be something locally dieselised. judging by the non US spec bumpers etc. THis is quite possible
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:11   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
All 300 SDL's were left hand drive. There was never a 350 SDL if I recollect. This must be something locally dieselised. judging by the non US spec bumpers etc. THis is quite possible
You are correct,the W126 300 SDL was powered with a turbocharged OM617 engine and available only in the USA ,and not sold anywhere else.
I don't know where they got the boot badges from,perhaps they made by a skilled hand?
It looks like it was originally a 500SEL with that gearshift (sport mode and low gear positions) .
The OM 617 is one of mercedes great engines and there is a company in the USA which makes an adaptor Kit to install them into toyota hiluxs and forerunner 4x4's because they offer a lot more power and better reliability at low cost.
The idea of the turbocharged W126 was to offer a car with low fuel consumption (compared with other cars sold by Mercedes) and this Lowered their overall projected fuel consumption across the range of cars being sold . And this in turn enabled Mercedes to sell cars in the US market and escape punitive import charges.
Mercedes never dreamed that the cars would be so popular in that market and it was probably a mistake to never offer them in other markets.
Star man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:14   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Well there sure were 350 SDLs and the wikipedia page lists production figures as 2,925 total from 1990 to 1991?

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-350.jpg
(Pic sourced from internet)
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:25   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Well there sure were 350 SDLs and the wikipedia page lists production figures as 2,925 total from 1990 to 1991?
That's right but in the scheme of things,they were such a low volume seller they are all but forgotten. While the OM 603 in other versions, W124 for example ,is a great engine their installation in the W126 was a troubled one . The same engine was also made under licence by Ssang Yong . The quality of these can only be described as "ordinary" with problems of the Mercedes version amplified .
Old 9th February 2014, 05:40   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Ahmedabad 220D 1967 fintail !
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-mb67.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 9th February 2014 at 05:42.
Old 9th February 2014, 12:50   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
Ahmedabad 220D 1967 fintail !
To say the car is awful is actually an understatement. Premier lights and what not. Seems to be owned by some Politico.

I doubt if this has the original OM621 in there.

More pics needed.

No Cheers.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 17:03   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
You are correct,the W126 300 SDL was powered with a turbocharged OM617 engine and available only in the USA ,and not sold anywhere else.
Mercedes never dreamed that the cars would be so popular in that market and it was probably a mistake to never offer them in other markets.
I remember reading somewhere years ago that the reason the turbo diesels were not offered anywhere else was due to the fact that the steering box of the right hand drive vehicles interfered with the turbo in some manner and that due to this, the right hand drive converts were usually troublesome in some manner.
I wonder if anyone else could confirm this.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 02:25   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I remember reading somewhere years ago that the reason the turbo diesels were not offered anywhere else was due to the fact that the steering box of the right hand drive vehicles interfered with the turbo in some manner and that due to this, the right hand drive converts were usually troublesome in some manner.
I wonder if anyone else could confirm this.
This has been proved to be incorrect here. A lot of fellow Mercedes enthusiasts in Australia have been buying the turbo engines from the USA and bolting them straight into W123's . The block is a different part,being slightly longer and with piston cooling jets cast into the housing.
I have a turbo charged 300D which is fitted with a Swedish STT set up. This was designed for Left hand drive applications but fits OK in my RHD car.
Old 10th February 2014, 22:37   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
This has been proved to be incorrect here. A lot of fellow Mercedes enthusiasts in Australia have been buying the turbo engines from the USA and bolting them straight into W123's . The block is a different part,being slightly longer and with piston cooling jets cast into the housing.
I have a turbo charged 300D which is fitted with a Swedish STT set up. This was designed for Left hand drive applications but fits OK in my RHD car.
Great. That's good to know. It only makes the decision to not sell the TD versions all over the world more puzzling now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks