Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2008, 10:10   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Has it been confirmed? Have not heard a word about it. Is it a VCCCI rally?
Like I said, Ill put up details once it is official, so far its just hearsay.

In September, Pune celebrates Pune Festival as part of the Ganesh Chathurthi. A rally is held every year by the MASA team at the Meridian, (non-competitive though). Just a drive through town. The turnout gets better and better every year, with all the big collectors in Pune attending. The pictures of the green 170V roadster on this thread are from one of those events.
Old 28th August 2008, 13:06   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Another lovely 170V gone into the ground. A Pune car originally. Courtesy Harit

Quote:
Attached please find pics of a Pune 170V. This car was very original, all hubcaps and the front crankhole cover were on. He even had the front side window wind deflectors. This was a one owner car, belonged to the father of my neighbour. Once in a while she was brought to Mumbai for service/repair and this was done to some extent at United Motors as my neighbour was a senior Tata employee. The owner aged, could not drive and so we pushed our neighbour to let us bring the car to Mumbai to use. BIG Mistake!!!
The first pic is of the car in the garage in Pune, then outside the garage in Pune, then we drove down to Mumbai and halted at Lonavalla where the bonnet is open. This was in 1978/79. Only the brakes gave some problems.
We got some work done and handed over to my neighbour. His son and friend damaged one rear mudguard, otherwise she carried on well. Then the car disappeared. I kept asking him where the car was, he kept telling me that it is being looked after by an ex-colleague as he had retired in the meanwhile. The restoration was complete, only seatwork was left. One fine day my friend who is also in one of the pictures saw a similar Merc in a bylane in Thane, neglected, on the road near a workshop. That time Thane was far away, I went at the next opportunity to check out. What I saw was this, disgusting. See, still headlights were there. The road was dug up for laying some pipes, the mud partially buried the car. I asked the mechanic what was going on, he told me to ask the person who gave it to him. I had lost contact with the neighbour as he had shifted back to Pune, having retired. Then I came to know that the car was to be scrapped as it was on the roadside and no one responsible came forward. I franctically called my neighbour, he told me to contact his ex colleague, he pleaded helpnessness, then I called them back, but no conclusion. Finally I gave up. Shortly thereafter I heard that a Merc 170V differencial had come to chor bazar. I also heard that someone may have taken over the car, but no concrete news. Sad end for a wonderful car which I have had the opportunity to drive a number of times.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-01a.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-02a.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-03a.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-04a.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-05a.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-06a.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-07a.jpg  

Old 29th August 2008, 13:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Whats happening on the 7th Karl. I haven't got any intimation too but ill find out and let you know.
Im game for the 7th (although im traveling till the 5th) I think food at Dorabjee's is far far superior to George's but yes the Caramel custard is great, second only to Britannia's at Mumbai.

Im there on the 7th if theres a rally bro. Great if you can come. It will be a pleasure to meet up with you and the Pune gang.
I really hope, the rally in Pune on the 7th is on; have really worked up the desire to land up.

Not a patch, either of them, on the caramel custard that my wife conjures up. Hey, it's not easy getting let off for a days trip to Poona just to watch another infernal car rally.

And taking the debate between George and Dorabjee to another street, how about biryani at the Blue Nile?
Old 30th August 2008, 00:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

here are some more pictures i found

the 280s in the background is our factory Mercedes bus, 1930's k type and a very rare 1960's convertible( dont know the exact model) Karl/ Gogi bhai do fill me in. thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-scan0022.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-scan0017.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-scan0016.jpg  

Old 30th August 2008, 10:15   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
the 280s in the background is our factory Mercedes bus, 1930's k type and a very rare 1960's convertible( dont know the exact model) Karl/ Gogi bhai do fill me in. thank you
The 280s now is part of a Pune collection, sharing space with many Mercs.

I doubt the white car is a K type - it looks too small, plus no pipes coming out.

I doubt the convertible is genuine, it looks suspect to me. Gogiji, what say?

And here is Vijay Mallya's smashing 220SE. A similar car is being restored in Pune as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc01.jpg  

Old 30th August 2008, 10:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The 280s now is part of a Pune collection, sharing space with many Mercs.

I doubt the white car is a K type - it looks too small, plus no pipes coming out.

I doubt the convertible is genuine, it looks suspect to me. Gogiji, what say?

And here is Vijay Mallya's smashing 220SE. A similar car is being restored in Pune as well.
Yes Karl i know the 280s is part of a pune collection

that is a Mercedes K 1930 and is part of a collection.

the convertible is genuine and was forwarded to us by a prominent person. we saw the car and the reason we did not pick it up was we could not reach to common ground regarding the price. the picture is an old one i am guessing 10yrs or so. the car is long sold.
Old 30th August 2008, 22:38   #37
BHPian

Pictures of the car when my dad was restoring his Minerva. I believe the car is fully restored and for sale now ? Do not have much data of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-mer600.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-m600.jpg  

Old 31st August 2008, 00:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Karl i know the 280s is part of a pune collection

that is a Mercedes K 1930 and is part of a collection.

the convertible is genuine and was forwarded to us by a prominent person. we saw the car and the reason we did not pick it up was we could not reach to common ground regarding the price. the picture is an old one i am guessing 10yrs or so. the car is long sold.
Speedy are you sure it looks like a 200 to me that has been chopped top, all the convertibles were 6 cylinder cars with vertical headlights, it could have been done outside the country, BTW some broker told me about this car a month ago apparently for sale in bombay..He said that it was a chop top but chopped in the UK or something!
Old 31st August 2008, 00:21   #39

I just noticed the Cranking handle and the Snake Horn on the White car. Superb!!
Old 31st August 2008, 02:17   #40

my car!!

i always wanted to put up the pics of my mercedes w115. perfect thread!!
guys do tell me how you like it?
and theres still work to be done on this car. but couldnt really get it done. help would really be appreciated. thank you.cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-10052007001.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-10052007003.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-10052007004.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-10052007005.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-10052007006.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-10052007.jpg  

yashrajgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2008, 02:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thats a sad ending to a wonderful car Harit.

Speedy I would have to agree with Karl on the non originality of the W110. The convertible is a chop job. A W110 chassis never came in a coupe version, leave alone a convertible. The convertibles only came in a W111/112 chassis and with six cyl engines which W110s never had. W110s came only with a four cyl engine. If i can see right, there is no well where the convertible top would go in. Lot of extras are noticed in the form non original fog lamps, the parking lights and their positioning, showing that the owner cared two hoots for originality.

Coming to the white "K", the "K" stands for Kompressor or Supercharger and one cant see the pipes here.
This looks more like a 1930-35 Mercedes-Benz Mannheim 370.
The Boa horn never came in a Merc if im not mistaken.
Can see a green 116 parked next to it.

The Green W108 belonged to Nitin Dossa and was a 280S (or was it a 250?)

Last edited by V-16 : 31st August 2008 at 02:54. Reason: add
Old 31st August 2008, 11:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Pictures of the car when my dad was restoring his Minerva. I believe the car is fully restored and for sale now ? Do not have much data of the car.
Do find out details dominator. i am definately interested in the car. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Speedy are you sure it looks like a 200 to me that has been chopped top, all the convertibles were 6 cylinder cars with vertical headlights, it could have been done outside the country, BTW some broker told me about this car a month ago apparently for sale in bombay..He said that it was a chop top but chopped in the UK or something!
Quote:
Thats a sad ending to a wonderful car Harit.

Speedy I would have to agree with Karl on the non originality of the W110. The convertible is a chop job. A W110 chassis never came in a coupe version, leave alone a convertible. The convertibles only came in a W111/112 chassis and with six cyl engines which W110s never had. W110s came only with a four cyl engine. If i can see right, there is no well where the convertible top would go in. Lot of extras are noticed in the form non original fog lamps, the parking lights and their positioning, showing that the owner cared two hoots for originality.

Coming to the white "K", the "K" stands for Kompressor or Supercharger and one cant see the pipes here.
This looks more like a 1930-35 Mercedes-Benz Mannheim 370.
The Boa horn never came in a Merc if im not mistaken.
Can see a green 116 parked next to it.

The Green W108 belonged to Nitin Dossa and was a 280S (or was it a 250?)
i was sent the Picture of the convertible by Mr Dossa himself. when we went to see the car in Ahemdabad we could not find any details of it not being original. we were told it needed original head lights and other cosmetical things. the second owner had the non original fog lights cut into the body and had done other things due to non availability of cosmetical parts. the convertible top Gogi bhai is there. if you look closely at the rear seat there is a line differentiateing the seat and the top. both are red so it would be difficult to see. the owner did not care much for the car at all. i could be wrong here but at that time i did not doubt Mr dossa and now i dont doubt the experts on the forum. it was a fine job done though if done.

the mercedes K is from a collection in Delhi, Hyderabad or Indore i dont remember which now (pictures were miss matched). Kasli had seen it and has Written 1930 K behind the pictures. the boa horn is not original with the car it was just fitted as an extra one was there and i guess the owner liked it.

the 280s was Nitin Dossa's car. the picture was taken when it was with us for work.

Last edited by speedy : 31st August 2008 at 11:27.
Old 31st August 2008, 11:14   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the mercedes K is from a collection in Delhi, Hyderabad or Indore i dont remember which now (pictures were miss matched). Kasli had seen it and has Written 1930 K behind the pictures. the boa horn is not original with the car it was just fitted as an extra one was there and i guess the owner liked it.
Again, that is definitely not a K. The absence of supercharger pipes is a dead giveaway, besides which the car looks too small. The car is pictured at Lala Ramchander Nath's place, Delhi.
Old 31st August 2008, 11:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Do find out details dominator. i am definately interested in the car. thank you.

Speedy, I am sure you all know who the owner is ? He is based in Delhi,previously owned the Minerva and the pictures were taken in 1995 by me,when the car was still parked at his house,waiting restoration. I understand,now the car is fully restored and for sale in Delhi.Shouldn't be too difficult for you to get the details.

Last edited by aah78 : 31st August 2008 at 20:42. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 31st August 2008, 12:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Speedy, I am sure you all know who the owner is ? He is based in Delhi,previously owned the Minerva and the pictures were taken in 1995 by me,when the car was still parked at his house,waiting restoration. I understand,now the car is fully restored and for sale in Delhi.Shouldn't be too difficult for you to get the details.
i thought as much it is the same car and had written the picture looks to be in Delhi, but i edited it.
you are talking of R.M. car. i know of it, its been for sale for ages. the car was restored almost 8yrs ago. the car has been for sale from then. the price quoted for it is also wonderfull. my other friend had almost bought it but there were some differences, so the car was returned. the Minerva is sold to my friend and is undergoing restoration again, its been a year now.

we have a thread for this 680k
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...ged-delhi.html

Last edited by aah78 : 31st August 2008 at 20:43. Reason: Quote fixed.

Most Viewed