Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2008, 19:28   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
See both the 170v body styles, they are completely different.
Mine is a convertible (dont know the exact name) this is a hardtop.
Mine is petrol this is diesel.
Mine came from a building garage. this one was at Byculla parsi colony and then went to Harit uncle.
When we got the car it was GTN not BMU, the rest you can ask my brother.
Is it possible that two cars (similar models) have the same registration? Anyways, nice restoration of the GTN / BMU Merc. I am confused.
Old 15th September 2008, 20:41   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
My dad's just picked up 2 pontons from bombay. Ones in really good condition but the previous owner but a diesel into it. The other has the original engine but not doing too well on the [FONT='Times New Roman']astehtics. The idea is to make one really good car. Ill check the manufacture years and try and get some photos up soon.[/FONT]
please we wait with bated breath, two pontons from bombay
Old 15th September 2008, 20:47   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
please we wait with bated breath, two pontons from bombay
I am not in town, but i will try and get him to take some photos. Dont expect much - they are both to go thru their restoration process. Karl hasnt seen the cars, but he knows where they are.
Old 15th September 2008, 21:20   #94
BHPian

My apologies they are actually 62 Fintails. Just called up home to try and get some photos and got corrected. Sorry if i got your hopes up.
Old 15th September 2008, 21:58   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My apologies they are actually 62 Fintails. Just called up home to try and get some photos and got corrected. Sorry if i got your hopes up.
ahh not the green one and the blue one is it?
Old 16th September 2008, 03:46   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My apologies they are actually 62 Fintails
Congrats Sameer, on getting two Merc classics. I could not believe it when you said, you had picked up not one but two Pontons.

The Heckflosse is a great car and if restored correctly will drive like a dream and be serve you like a Jeep
Since you specified that they are fintails, I believe this could be one of your cars

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-23072008572.jpg
Old 16th September 2008, 21:38   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Congrats Sameer, on getting two Merc classics. I could not believe it when you said, you had picked up not one but two Pontons.

The Heckflosse is a great car and if restored correctly will drive like a dream and be serve you like a Jeep
Since you specified that they are fintails, I believe this could be one of your cars

Attachment 50278
thats one of them, the other one is blue if i am not mistaken.
Old 15th October 2008, 20:31   #98
Senior - BHPian

While at my research (non car related) I came across this photograph. look behind the obvious 300SL owned by the Gondals, you will find a Ponton 220SE, I have no knowledge of a 220SE having ever existed in India. Gogi, Karl, Harit? do you have any knowledge of the whereabouts of this car, if it still exists today.

Find below a 220SE in profile for your reference. If I am not mistaken BML 7885 is a 57 registration. the car appears to be a cabriolet.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-gondal0001.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-220se.jpg  

Old 15th October 2008, 22:00   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
While at my research (non car related) I came across this photograph. look behind the obvious 300SL owned by the Gondals, you will find a Ponton 220SE, I have no knowledge of a 220SE having ever existed in India. Gogi, Karl, Harit? do you have any knowledge of the whereabouts of this car, if it still exists today.
What a fabulous picture. Check Bombay RTO records, it might be alive. Doesn't the car look very tall to you?
Old 15th October 2008, 22:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
What a fabulous picture. Check Bombay RTO records, it might be alive. Doesn't the car look very tall to you?
While the standard pontons had 13" rims this car may have had 15" rims, they were options for Pontons shipped to developing countries like India and South Africa. But this one is a Left hand drive probably imported with the 300SL from the US.

When you come to Bombay you can join me at the RTO need to find out about the Balilla as well. This record must be somewhere next to my BML8988 file.
Old 16th October 2008, 17:09   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Harit to the rescue!

Quote:
The convertible Ponton must be alive and well, she came to a rally about 12 years ago and looked good. She is owned by a Bawajee! And I am sure never for sale. Amol guessed correctly who could come up with info so fast, only he should reverse the order where old history is concerned. Now I would like to know what is he researching, palm trees? He he.
Seriously, this is a very nice picture, must have been taken in the early 1960's (how clever). Please tell more, Mr. Mole! Just like the ever evasive gullwing, there is supposed to be a second such car in India, Ahmedabad and Amravati have been mentioned, and red colour.
About the registration, the number is the same as in the old pic. Now about the visit to RTO. Today you cannot just walk to RTO and get info. Then the records are missing. I have lots of old pictures of very interesting cars with Bombay registration numbers. But we could not locate the records. Also, there was a fire a couple of years ago. While there may be cars on the road with books upto date, the records are not avalable. So do not bother to go to RTO to find records of old cars. 10 years ago it was possible.
I hope that all BHPian enthusiasts are glad to hear that the convertible Ponton survives.
Harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-dd.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2008, 18:25   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

For added interest, a superb 220S I spotted in Germany outside a VW show.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc01.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc02.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2008, 14:32   #103
Senior - BHPian

Karl, This is what I call Restoration! Only seen in Europe and USA.
Why cant we carry out such finishes? A Ponton cabrio is my dream car. The day Imports are opened for classics/collectors, this is one car I shall Import[and am aware of the going prices there], a 220S Cabrio. The lines looks posture are just too Good.
Is it Vimal Shah by any chance in the BML 7885 snap? I to remember seeing this car about 10 years back in Bombay.

Last edited by scooby05 : 17th October 2008 at 14:35.
Old 17th October 2008, 16:46   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a hardtop in Pakistan, courtesy the Pakistan club website. Any idea on current status of the car?
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc02.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc03.jpg  

Old 17th October 2008, 17:06   #105
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Pictures by Amol and Harit uncle. The cabrio looks stunning. I have to agree with Scooby uncle this would definately come in desire list if the imports of vintage and classic cars do open up. if i remember right the car is in Pune with a Parsee family. I doubt if it would ever come up for sale but am assured it would be taken care off.

@ Scooby uncle. The person does resemble Vimal Uncle but i dont think it would be him. Harit uncle can clarify this as i have not seen Vimal uncles younger pictures.

@ Karl nice find there. The coupe also when restored would turn out to be a stunner. Yes like Karl says someone please let us know the current status of the car.

Last edited by speedy : 17th October 2008 at 17:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks