Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2012, 10:16   #1336
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
She is an ex-president of India car, if i am not mistaken. truly a lovely and rare car. What an opportunity to see her moving so regally on the streets of Mumbai.
I doubt the MDA registered car of the Jasdanwalla collection was a Presidential automibile. From what I heard she came from South, and possibly did have some diplomatic connection, but I am not clear what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
incorrect boot lock(probably premier)

but overall a nice car. Which year is the number?
The boot lock is definitely not Premier, looks German or English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The Dubai car is also said to be having presidential connections and so is the one we are discussing now ....n How many 300's were in the services of the POI.

With regards to the 600's you mentioned two so is the car Bulldogji is refering to one of these or is it another one ?
Very simple - one 300 was Presidential, currently in Dubai. I think there is another Rashtrapati Bhavan 300 at the Bhogilal display, though an older car.

The MDA 300 we see here is diplomatic, but not Presidential A somewhat similar car is in a Delhi collection, ex Sikkim. We saw it at the last Cartier.

The 600 spotted by Bulldogji is probably ex Iran Embassy.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 21:35   #1337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I doubt the MDA registered car of the Jasdanwalla collection was a Presidential automibile. From what I heard she came from South, and possibly did have some diplomatic connection, but I am not clear what.
I thought I have seen a picture on TBHP of a large Mercedes with an Embassy / High Commission of Malaysia plate - is that the same MDA Car ? Will have to dig out the picture and post
Old 16th June 2012, 10:53   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
I thought I have seen a picture on TBHP of a large Mercedes with an Embassy / High Commission of Malaysia plate - is that the same MDA Car ? Will have to dig out the picture and post
The present owner I think has some diplomatic role, hence the plates. Here she is in Pune, 2008.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc01.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc02.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 11:31   #1339
BHPian

Another very handsome mercedes was with the Modi family. In 1954, Sir Homi Modi of TELCO went to Germany to have talks with Mercedes to make passenger cars in india. He was recieved at the airport by officials of M Benz in a 300. That car was shipped to India and subsequent talks having failed, was used by Homi till he retired from TELCO. TELCO gifted the car to him and when he became the governor of UP the car was used by him there. Then he came to Bombay and gave the car to his son Kali, who was instrumental in bringing Diners Club to us. Kali in turn gave the car to his son Jimmy. Thereafter started the decline of a lovely car. She remained un loved for years. Then sent to Bangalore for a resto which was shoddy to say the least. Back in bombay she was offered in exchange for a contessa, but no one managed to clinch the deal. Many years thereafter she surfaced at a prominent garage on pedder road.Does anyone know the current whereabouts of this fine and historically interesting car?
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 11:57   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji
Another very handsome mercedes was with the Modi family. In 1954, Sir Homi Modi of TELCO went to Germany to have talks with Mercedes to make passenger cars in india. He was recieved at the airport by officials of M Benz in a 300. That car was shipped to India and subsequent talks having failed, was used by Homi till he retired from TELCO. TELCO gifted the car to him and when he became the governor of UP the car was used by him there. Then he came to Bombay and gave the car to his son Kali, who was instrumental in bringing Diners Club to us. Kali in turn gave the car to his son Jimmy. Thereafter started the decline of a lovely car. She remained un loved for years. Then sent to Bangalore for a resto which was shoddy to say the least. Back in bombay she was offered in exchange for a contessa, but no one managed to clinch the deal. Many years thereafter she surfaced at a prominent garage on pedder road.Does anyone know the current whereabouts of this fine and historically interesting car?
Being restored and looking wonderful . She should be out soon

Cheers
Old 17th June 2012, 15:33   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Saw this beauty being driven quite spiritedly - in the Mumbai rush hour near the JJ flyover, a couple of days back. Was left staring and drooling as she passed me !!
The 300 Adenauer 'MDA 3884' was owned by Mr.Karumuttu T. Kannan who has textile mills & a engineering college in Madurai. It then went briefly to the most successful Fiat racer of the 70s & 80s Mr.D. Vidyaprakash, industrialist from Coimbatore. Have requested Vidy for a photograph of the car when he owned it, will upload soon as I have it.
rdcm1985 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 17:32   #1342
BHPian

Karl Bhai

Thanks for sharing the picture of this very rare, tasty & immaculate Merc.

Amazing.

Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 17:52   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The present owner I think has some diplomatic role, hence the plates. Here she is in Pune, 2008.

Attachment 941999

Attachment 942000
So Karl ..there are two 300's in Mumba / Pune area, among others, both with MDA plates or are the pics you posted of the same car i.e the Jasdanwalla car
Old 18th June 2012, 18:23   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif

So Karl ..there are two 300's in Mumba / Pune area, among others, both with MDA plates or are the pics you posted of the same car i.e the Jasdanwalla car
Same car see the midtown motors sticker on the rear glass. Midtown motors is owned by mr jasdanwala. There are other 300's in Mumbai also owned by dubhash, Bhogilal, etc I have seen many unknown ones in Maharashtra.

Last edited by the mole : 18th June 2012 at 18:24.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:56   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
The W189 is indeed fuel injected. The pump was giving problems, hope they have managed to sort it out.They also have a lovely 190sl, air conditioned and in fairly regular use.Does anyone have any idea of a huge 600 lying in a south bombay workshop since the last couple of years? Deep blue in colour with an MH12 registration? Beautiful beast in dire straits. Hope she gets restored/rescused soon.
this is the ex shah of iran 1970 swb 600 (lhd), which came here for his visit and was left for the iranian ambassadors use, then after the revolution it wasnt used any more and remained standing in a shed behind the Iranian embassy on barakhamba road. in 1994 the embassy built an extension and there was no room to park this car, it remained on the road outside the embassy for some days and then went to stc for auction, the car needed a lot of work even then, the suspension and other hydraulics wernt working even then, and there were problems with injection pump. but the car was driven to the stc under its own power. i know because i was in the passenger seat on the way to stc... it had done only about 25 odd thousand miles if i remember right. i bid for it but lost out by 3000 rupees!
awini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 14:06   #1346

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I am not clear about the side of the steering wheel. Straight from the factory, OK. Then to USA, also OK. But RHD? Looking at the blanked no plate, I think the car is RHD. Highly unusual if the car came into India via USA. Apro President of the Fiat section owned a Fiat 1100 brought in by a Naval Person which he brought in from USA, it was LHD.
Some mystery here.

Cheers harit
Yes Sir, this car was imported to the US from Stuttgart as a custom RHD order in June 1967, from where it was brought to India in 1969. All original documents (including invoice) exist. Been maintained with lots of TLC since.
Just can't wait to see it back on the road.
Ravipoll is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 18:19   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Do you have any idea if it si fuel injected ?
The 300d Adenauer's were fuel injected as standard. Remember that the engine of the mighty 300SL was taken from the 300 saloons that was introduced before the SL. While the SL benefited from fuel injection, the regal 300, 300b & 300c had to do with carbs (triple Solex's I think).

In the the final avatar of the 300 Adenauer, the model "d" as is being discussed, finally got something in return from the SL-fuel injection!

I like to look at it as something between two persons. The elder (sedan) gave the best it had to offer to younger blood (SL) and in its autumn days the elder was well looked after by the younger

Regards
mbz180

Last edited by mbz180 : 2nd July 2012 at 18:21.
Old 9th July 2012, 17:31   #1348
Distinguished - BHPian

While browsing through this month's issue of 'motown INDIA', came across an article by Tutu Dhawan on the restoration of a particular 300 he just completed, looking smart.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-300.jpg
Old 15th July 2012, 00:38   #1349
BHPian

Hi,
I'm an Old Cottonian, class of 76', used to stand speechless and ogle this car on Brigades'.Is this is the same car driven by a gentleman wearing a suit in the local style, very often parked outside Blu Nile (opp.Koshy's) on Brigades' usually on saturdays.Was told that this car belonged to someone in Shanthi Nagar,off Double Road.I'm sure its the same car, one of the best fintails I've seen and I know...the best Mercs ever made.
One of the best has been found, there's one more..a similiar 110/200, maroon colour, Chikmanglur regn. am told the owner took delivery of the car from the factory, toured Europe and drove it overland to India, in far more peacful times.Also seen on Brigades' in the late 70's-early 80's.I hope that it still survives.
Cheers,
SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Talk about FRESH FROM THE OVEN car

This 1967 200 Fintail belongs to a T-BHP members Dad, Straight out of the Stuttgart Factory-Germany, Run in the US most of the time.

One owner,
Factory Paint,
56,000 miles,
Unused for the last 15 -16 years,
Has the company tags on all the parts INTACT,
Needs a new front windshield

I was given a chance to take a look at this car and what a visual treat it was

More pics once its running on the road.
Old 21st July 2012, 18:47   #1350
Distinguished - BHPian

Pebble Beach 2012

Courtesy: Home | Daimler

"Cars of the Maharajas’, meanwhile, looks back upon a grand era of Indian automotive heritage. As its contribution to this feature, Mercedes-Benz Classic is bringing a SS-Type to Pebble Beach. This supercharged grand tourer – a paragon of luxury and lavish detail.– was built in 1930 for the Maharaja of Kashmir.

In the first third of the 20th century, the Maharaja was one a number of Indian motor car enthusiasts who bought themselves the finest and most expensive cars of their time – often having them specially built with exquisitely designed bodies. The Maharaja would no doubt be in his element at the 2012 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance with its illustrious field of luxury classic cars."

Assume, it is this car. Have seen info that the first owner was Kashmir, as well as Khaipur.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-khairpur-mercedes-ss-1932-top-up-large.jpg
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed