Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 23:58   #1381
BHPian

Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Spotted this 115 - 200 diesel at Haji Ali today.

Cheers

Attachment 969846

Attachment 969847
Looks built for the US of A with the extra width of the bumpers and the LHD. Also appears post 1973 due to the ribbed tail lights which came only after 1973. Do correct me if I am wrong.
Old 20th August 2012, 11:02   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Recently a 1958 190 SL Mercedes surfaced near Bangalore, adding to the number of this "beauty" (how I hate our collection cars refereed to like this) in India.
Cheers harit

And from what I hear, for a car sitting on blocks for such a long time, she went for a pretty hefty price! But then a 190SL is a 190SL, more so in India. Wish the new owner the very best for restoring the car to a high standard.

mbz180
Old 21st August 2012, 00:28   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
.....she went for a pretty hefty price! ....
mbz180
I don't think the sale price was hefty, some reacted that it was cheap.
In fact one 190 SL was sold from your area a few years ago, a dismantled and crashed car and that was really not cheap either.
There is no true valuation possible, just that the seller and buyer struck a deal for all of us to analyse for years to come

Hope to see the car active again.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 21st August 2012 at 00:35.
Old 21st August 2012, 13:21   #1384
BHPian

Look what I bumped into - 1989 300SEL

So, the brother in law falls sick on Sunday. Given the dutiful fellow that I am, I rush to the doctors clinic to get his medicines. Now, I know that our doctor is a Mercedes enthusiast. He's had 8 Merc's in the past.

So I walk into his makeshift clinic, which also doubles up as his garage. And there she is. A stunning white coloured LHD 300SEL. Given the time crunch i could not spend more time and inquire much but all I could gather is The doc bought this in 2007 and he repairs her by himself. I didn't have the heart to ask how much he bought it for or anything else.

And sorry, no pictures. The Blackberry I was carrying could do no justice to this beauty.
Old 21st August 2012, 13:28   #1385
BHPian

Re: Look what I bumped into - 1989 300SEL

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st August 2012 at 20:07. Reason: See note in post.
allana13 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:12   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
In fact one 190 SL was sold from your area a few years ago, a dismantled and crashed car and that was really not cheap either.

Cheers harit
The 190SL from my area; would it be the car with the Cooch Behar connection? I knew which building it was kept in in its sorry state but never had the chance to see it. in 2003 when the then owner saw my Ponton at the Statesman Rally he was very excited and told me about this 190SL that he picked up and how he intended to restore it but that never happened.

Prithvi
Old 25th August 2012, 13:07   #1387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
The 190SL from my area; would it be the car with the Cooch Behar connection?...Prithvi
Yes, that car, now in Pune. Can you get some photo from someone?
Here is a famous 190SL as she appeared in a rally in 2000, I am sorting all my stuff and will keep coming across some older papers. Now Bulldogji can educate us whether Pandit ever owned this car, all he has to do is to look in the registration book. I really hope that this was not another story

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc.jpg  

Old 25th August 2012, 14:12   #1388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a famous 190SL as she appeared in a rally in 2000, I am sorting all my stuff and will keep coming across some older papers. Now Bulldogji can educate us whether Pandit ever owned this car, all he has to do is to look in the registration book. I really hope that this was not another story
I believe the car was with his sister/her family. A friend often recounts them visiting his building in the car, the top was apparently brown then. Panditji too would accompany, and apparently his love for children was seen even then, before it became his trademark.
Old 25th August 2012, 18:56   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville

I believe the car was with his sister/her family. A friend often recounts them visiting his building in the car, the top was apparently brown then. Panditji too would accompany, and apparently his love for children was seen even then, before it became his trademark.
Somebody of the family and related to Arun Nehru. The building was called Jupiter opp Meher Apts. incidentally Meher Apts had a Buick 1947 black in colour then disappeared. Now back to the 190 The car was n the basement fr a while and Morris if not mistaken!

Cheers
Old 25th August 2012, 23:12   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I believe the car was with his sister/her family.......
Car was supposed to have been owned by Hathee Singh. Let Bulldogji throw some light on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Somebody of the family and related to Arun Nehru. The building was called Jupiter opp Meher Apts. incidentally Meher Apts had a Buick 1947 black in colour then disappeared. Now back to the 190 The car was n the basement fr a while and Morris if not mistaken! Cheers
As mentioned before, the 190SL was accompanied by an Austin Healey which was also sold and is one of the two seen around.
Meher Apts had a 1938 black Buick Limo, Jupiter had a Ford A and this pre war Morris Minor, both belonging to Bhagvan Divecha, one of the early enthusiasts, both cars were sold.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 00:02   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Hatheesingh family is related to Nehru family as my aunts from that family. A well respected family of Ahemdabad also great cars.

The building cars only the Morris I remember but not the healey and ford.

Last edited by kasli : 26th August 2012 at 00:09.
Old 27th August 2012, 11:23   #1392
BHPian

Harit, to the best of my knowledge, and documents available with me, the 190sl you refer to was never owned by Panditji. Unfortunately I am unaware of all the cars he sat in during his lifetime, but surely there will be austins, rollers, dodges, fiats, ambassadors etc which can also boast that Panditji sat in them? I wonder why more such stories are not floating around. For your information, Mrs Indira gandhi had often been a passenger in an ambassador belonging to someone I know, and on one occassion, I too was in the car with them. But, when that ambassador was sold, the late Prime Minister having sat in the car was never mentioned as a selling or publicity point. Whatever, it makes a good story. In fact, I heard another story regarding Panditji and this car, but will not share it on this forum.

Last edited by Bulldogji : 27th August 2012 at 11:28.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 13:37   #1393
BHPian

Spotted this car a few days back parked outside High Court
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-saeed-sl-300.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-mercedes-benz-1.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-mercedes-benz-2.jpg  

Benson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 14:01   #1394
BHPian

WOW. Nice ride, wrong location
Old 27th August 2012, 14:32   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
WOW. Nice ride, wrong location
Very nice car, it it yours Bulldogji ????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks