Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2007, 23:42   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
i wish i could travel back in time here,
new mb/gpw's ready to be driven into the war..

does ne one hav ne idea which make or model are the trucks shown in the left side of the picture. they are almost extinct now here in mumbai iarea..
Old 2nd October 2007, 08:07   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
does ne one hav ne idea which make or model are the trucks shown in the left side of the picture. they are almost extinct now here in mumbai iarea..
Thats a Chevy truck...Ram can give you a very detailed reply, and he made a lovely sketch as well.
Old 2nd October 2007, 09:24   #138
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Karl.

Inasmuchas the 250 kg 4x4 reconnaisance truck was made by Bantam, Ford and Willys to supplement USA's WW2 effort -- what is familiar as old hat to us as the Jeep...
this hardy 4x4 lorry was also made by Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge.

Chevrolet called it the C-8. It is also known as the Canadian Military Pattern (CMP). These vehicles were designed and built in Canada in World War II. At first they were built for the Canadian Army, but soon found deployment in all Allied armies.

The 1942-1945 model had the famous reverse slope windshield, doors hinged at front and headlights buried inside the cowl.

1944-45 models even had a round roof 'hatch' made of canvas for an observer to stand up and get a bird's-eye view. @fx45's pic has such a 3 tonner.

Oh, they came in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton with a 101-inch wheelbase; And 1.5 ton and 3 ton variations with a 134-inch wheelbase. There was even a 158-inch long wheel base model.

All kinds of engines came in them, but the 40 mm anti-aircraft gun towing truck in @fx45's pic was a 3-ton 134-inch wheel base model with a lazy very very long life 3.9 litre Ford V8 that developed just 95 bhp @ 3600 rpm.

Early Chevrolets had instrument "clusters" like our Fiat Millecento. Later models had separate round instruments.

It had an accelerator pedal between the clutch and brake pedals.

Though it's a public holiday, it's a working day for me, so I'll answer this better in the night.
Ciao till then...

Ram
Old 11th October 2007, 21:17   #139
BHPian

hi ram,
great info on the chevy cmp..
were the c-15 same as the c-8 with different
payload capacities??

Old 12th October 2007, 08:59   #140
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Yes @gotzuk, the C-15 and the C-8 had different payload capacities.
The C-15 was 15 cwt (680.4 kg) and the C-8 was 8 cwt (363 kg).

There were many many different kinds of models in the Canadian Military Pattern (CMP) truck -- two-wheel-drive, four-wheel-drive, double rear axle, and six-wheel-drive.
It was made by GM Canada, Ford Canada, and also assembled from CKD in the UK, in Egypt, in India and down under in Australia and New Zealand.

The commonwealth countries back then still used the British measurement system.
so

The best place to see CMPs in good condition, still in use is in Scandinavia -- in Norway.
They were a common sight in Bombay of my childhood (1960s).
When I lived in Everett, Washington, near my house there was a CMP being used as a snowplow. I've also seen a CMP in upstate New York, in Saugerties being used as a tow truck. And guess what? Both were right-hand-drive !

I believe you can still run across, retired Indian army armored CMPs.

In the 1975 movie, "Pratiggya",
in the song, "mai.n jaT, yamlaa paglaa diiwaanaa (मैं जट, यमला पगला दीवाना)" picturized on Dharmendra, you can see a Ford CMP in the background in rural Punjab. Sorry for the poor image quality.

Ram
Old 12th October 2007, 11:24   #141
BHPian

ram,
so i thought.. thanks..
here's another period pic of the CMP trucks
with our beloved G503 jeep..
note the height of the air snorkel on the jeep..
Old 12th October 2007, 17:24   #142
Ram
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep also appears to be wearing 7.00x16 tires rather than the usual 6:00x16.
Would you share the source of this picture?
Which WW2 theatre is it?
Ram
Old 12th October 2007, 22:54   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
The Jeep also appears to be wearing 7.00x16 tires rather than the usual 6:00x16.
Would you share the source of this picture?
Which WW2 theatre is it?
Ram
ram, this pic was found while surfing the net a long time back..
so im not sure about the time frame/theatre/source for this pic.. however the absence
of invasion stars and the US army markings on either the jeep and the trucks could mean that this photograph could have been taken in canada
and the jeep might be a canadian contract jeep, provided under the
lend lease policy..
the deep water fording kit on the jeep is not the correct one issued by willys overland and looks like a field mod.. so my guess is that the
bigger tyre conversion is also a field mod.. unless it is the "cross country
kit" conversion which would definitely date it after march'45..
too many variables, i guess, to properly date and locate it..
Old 13th October 2007, 02:06   #144
Senior - BHPian

its ... 4 sale !!! kindly let me know ...
Old 13th October 2007, 04:17   #145
Senior - BHPian

this is a very very interesting thread i am not sure why not any one from punjab has posted any pics here but i will try and post some pics from punjab. they are mostly mahindras but converted into lowbonnet jeeps thats what they call them there.

pics will be in next week MONDAY
Old 14th October 2007, 01:06   #146
Senior - BHPian

guys i found this picture on the net.
it is from a rally in india.

Old 14th October 2007, 10:21   #147
BHPian

Hi guys i have been very hesitant to talk about my Mahindra Legend, i hear a lot of folks bashing it up in the other threads. It is not as bad as people make it sound.It rides well and handles well and has a presence.Incidentally i was the first owner of this brand new jeep in Bangalore(Aug 2006). I guess there are 2-3 more owners in Bangalore. I just mustered enough courage to share the pictures with all of you.
Picasa Web Albums - Naren - Mahindra Legend
cheers
Old 14th October 2007, 12:30   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren4140 View Post
Hi guys i have been very hesitant to talk about my Mahindra Legend, i hear a lot of folks bashing it up in the other threads. It is not as bad as people make it sound.It rides well and handles well and has a presence.Incidentally i was the first owner of this brand new jeep in Bangalore(Aug 2006). I guess there are 2-3 more owners in Bangalore. I just mustered enough courage to share the pictures with all of you.
Picasa Web Albums - Naren - Mahindra Legend
cheers

C'mon naren! we here at t-bhp m love all things automotive! There's no need to feel hesitant to talk about your ride! Actually you should be proud to be one of the select few who own this limited edition vehicle! Looks great to me! remember-Your ride, your pride!!
Old 14th October 2007, 13:16   #149
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren4140 View Post
It rides well and handles well and has a presence.
Nice pictures Naren4140.

While restoring an old vintage 1939-1945 WW2 Jeep is commendable, the fact remains it is still a very old vehicle.

And a modern fuel-injected galvanized-steel-body Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a 4-litre 180 bhp 6-cylinder engine, offroad alloys, ABS, Mercedes 6-speed gearbox is another thing. The coil sprung ride beats that of the leaf sprung WW2 Jeep. Look at the offroad wheel travel.

What is hard to digest is for a company to make and sell a brand new Jeep with a dated second-world-war design, leaf springs on all four wheels, no free-wheeling front axle and archaic non-common-rail diesel engine.
Old 14th October 2007, 13:32   #150
Senior - BHPian

hey great car naren. i see you have been hideing it behind the beetle. there is no need to be hesitant my friend. your car is your pride like jayd said. the car with the stripes makes you want to look at it. the meters look like they are auto gauge meters. hope i got the name right (same company that makes rpm meters).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks