Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2007, 17:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a Willy's to me RohitD. The anti roll bars are not original. Nor is the turn signal lever. Is it the pic angle or do I see the four wheel drive gear levers missing. Maybe its got a diesel engine swap like so many WWII jeeps we see today
Nice pics tough. Lookin for one for myself too.
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:52   #47
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohitD View Post
Parked my car and found this old millitary kind of jeep parked in the next parking lot...

Is this a willys jeep ?
Yes RohitD, It is a Willys MB Jeep.

The steering wheel was a painted steel wheel with three spokes and no horn button. The Jeep in your pic has that wheel.

The original MB had bolted two piece wheels. A soldier wishing to change an inner tube, would empty the tire of all air and unbolt the two pieces of the wheel then the tire and tube would pop out. HMMWV wheels are still made that way! You don't have to mess with unwieldy tire irons when you don't have a tire bead machine.

And even though it was a tiny 80" wheelbase vehicle it had full floating hubs front and rear.

Old 22nd July 2007, 21:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

This willys jeep must look fantastic without this stupid rollcage.
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:06   #49
Ram
Senior - BHPian

The Willys MB had a two-pane windshield made of steel tubing and steel plate and had a rifle bracket inside on the windshield.

Also the interior had two-independent seats made of steel tubing with olive-drab/khaki canvas covers. The headlamps were not mounted on the grille but on separate hinged brackets. These hinged brackets had a wing-nut that could be undone to swing the headlamp inwards to illuminate the engine while working on it in the dark.

Old 22nd July 2007, 23:25   #50
BHPian

awesome thread...very nice read...
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:43   #51
Ram
Senior - BHPian

The Willys MB always had the fuel filler cap under the driver's seat.
Some reconnaisance Jeeps had an extra long range tank which was visible under the tub. (unfortunately exposed to sniper fire)

The left side of the body tub had sculpted indents to accomodate a shovel(spade) and a woodman's axe. These were secured with steel , and canvas straps with buckles.

Differing from the Mahindra-Willys CJ-3B and Classic, the Willys MB's flatfender and step were independent of each other.

Here is an original pic for comparison.

Unlike a Mahindra CJ's fixed fabric top, the Willys MB's canvas top could be folded down and put up again without removing the fabric from the steel-tube bows. The pic above shows the bows folded sans canvas top.

Ram
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
The Willys MB always had the fuel filler cap under the driver's seat.
Some reconnaisance Jeeps had an extra long range tank which was visible under the tub. (unfortunately exposed to sniper fire)

The left side of the body tub had sculpted indents to accomodate a shovel(spade) and a woodman's axe. These were secured with steel , and canvas straps with buckles.

Differing from the Mahindra-Willys CJ-3B and Classic, the Willys MB's flatfender and step were independent of each other.

Here is an original pic for comparison.

Unlike a Mahindra CJ's fixed fabric top, the Willys MB's canvas top could be folded down and put up again without removing the fabric from the steel-tube bows. The pic above shows the bows folded sans canvas top.

Ram
The Civilian JEEPs had two types of Canvas tops both were easily removable.
1) The Top Bow or Bow Top which consisted of 2 inverted U-channels held by 3 rods (CJ2A/CJ3A/CJ3B). Takes about 15Mins to assemble and re-assemble

2) The scissor top which consisted of 2 inverted U-Channels pivoting on each other and held by an additional 6 rods.
WillysMB/M38/M606/M38A1 and there international cousins.
Takes 10 mins or less to diss-assemble or reassemble.

The MAHINDRA MILITARY CJ3Bs post 1974? had "Scissors Top" which could be folded up and down again.
(Check my garage for pics)

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:29   #53
Team-BHP Support

I once drove a willy from bangalore to hyderabad.
The jeep was a '47 with a peugot (D) engine fitted in '74.

Two of us, left b'lore at 3 PM, stuck in nasty traffic, hit highway at about 6pm.

bad brakes, no suspension, no wiper, a strip of metal as the rearview, leak in the tank meant it could hold no more than 200 bucks worth of fuel at a time.
It started raining at Gooty.
Soaked wet, drove to a bunk, rain stops, remove T Shirt, wring it and put back on.
Sleep on a table at Reliance A1 at about 11 pm, no plans on spending money or looking for a hotel to stay.

anyone planning on buying a Willy remember, it does not get more difficult than this.
But I remember the drive as being more fun than any I have had in any car.
Kept singing, and laughing the whole way.
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:19   #54
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The Civilian JEEPs had two types of Canvas tops both were easily removable.
1) The Top Bow or Bow Top which consisted of 2 inverted U-channels held by 3 rods (CJ2A/CJ3A/CJ3B). Takes about 15Mins to assemble and re-assemble

2) The scissor top which consisted of 2 inverted U-Channels pivoting on each other and held by an additional 6 rods.
WillysMB/M38/M606/M38A1 and there international cousins.
Takes 10 mins or less to diss-assemble or reassemble.

The MAHINDRA MILITARY CJ3Bs post 1974? had "Scissors Top" which could be folded up and down again.
Local cobblers and tailors to reproduction companies like Bestop, Kayline and Beachwood Canvas USA, have made a lot of alternative soft tops (using vinyl, faux-leather, nylon and even waterproof canvas) around the world from France to the USA, to Australia to old Bhopal for as long as there have been Jeeps. May I submit that those don't qualify here.

The Willys MB manual does not mention "scissor-top" anywhere.
The Mahindra supplied Willys CJ-2A and CJ-3A on which I learned to drive, did not have the Willys MB type folding top. And it had rollable canvas doors with yellowed-with-age polyethylene window.

The Willys CJ-3B had 13 connecting parts for the soft top. And that is not what I'm talking about either.

We're talking about the two-bow hinged soft tops that are original (as in historical museum worthy material) for the WW-II Willys MB, which never had any kind of tailgate!

The issue is not about how much time it takes to assemble and disassemble but the fact that these tops could be folded down and carried, by design, on the Jeep without reduction in space for people, luggage and arms.

Isn't Military and CJ3B a paradox? CJ means Civilian Jeep not Military Jeep.
All US military Jeeps have M-numbers. The earliest HMMWV is M-998
And the DJ Jeeps (Dispatcher Jeeps) were all sans four-wheel drive transfer case.

And AFAIK, the bows were never U-channels, meaning open construction. They were always seamless U-tubes.

Ram
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

I have mentioned that the CJ2A/CJ3A/earlyCJ3B came with what is known as the Top Bow or Bow-Top.

If you have seen "REAL CJ2A & CJ3A" you would have noticed the bracket over the rear left wheel to carry the Top-Bows folded down,i.e without taking any space.

Since your are not part of the Indian JEEP fraternity, It was wrong on my part to expect you to understand "ScissorTop"

The issue is that M & M made "the two-bow hinged soft tops" for their military JEEPs post 1974?

WRT U-Channels please read "seamless U-Tubes"

The American Military CJ3Bs were designated M606.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2007, 03:43   #56
BHPian

hi

Here are two JEEPs belonging to my friends, which are slowly brought back to originality.

JEEP 1

JEEP 2

The second jeep now has the original wheels & rubber.

Note Owners have no issue with No.Plates being shown.
Old 25th July 2007, 10:01   #57
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post

JEEP 1

Shreeram, the two rifle brackets mounted vertically outside the vehicle and prominently painted red, are so uncool. Doesn't it scream, "show off"!
And the home made frame with wire mesh hides the Willys MB's most distinctive 9-slot grille.

The original Willys MB / Ford never had a rollbar. Rollbars should be made of at least 3 inch tube (76mm) diameter steel or GI pipe and buttressed by a 3-inch diameter steel or GI diagonal tube link to offer real rollover safety.

Last edited by Ram : 25th July 2007 at 10:04.
Old 27th July 2007, 14:50   #58
BHPian

Thanks

@ RAM

Thanks for your input. These photos are old & depict what they were when my friends bought these jeeps.

The Jeeps have been changed over time till now slowly, for example the original rims & tyres for Jeep 2. Will soon post latest pics of these jeeps.

Thanks A Lot. Will ask Jeep 1 owner to remove those extra gun mounts
& try to convince him to give one of them to Jeep 2 owner as he has none.
Old 30th July 2007, 09:29   #59
Team-BHP Support

Here's one roaming around in Pune, it's a Ford (I know). It has a small plate which says, Willy's in USA

P.S. the owner has no issues with display of number plates.
Old 30th July 2007, 09:37   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pics moral. Did you snap the Plymouth Savoy parked next to it? Ideal Rust in Pieces material!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks