Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 12:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
No offence speedy but why would people like them help at all with this? Since they normally are the ones who'd have a major hand in this job of bringing in these cars to convert into taxis!
Stanher it is the taxi owner who has a hand in this sort of activity. the driver is not the owner of the car, he just drives for someone. the Union keeps a record of the cars, and i presume also if the body is changed has to be notified to them. this car has a carrier so i presume it would have to be notified.
i have had some good experiences with the union when my phone was left off and someone i knew left a bag with money in the taxi. these things were stored and returned when we went there after giving our identification.
i also just remembered dont these cars have to go for roadworthy tests if they are older then a certain year. if so then the RTO should also be informed.
Old 29th August 2008, 12:27   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, it hurts to see a car of such emotional value stolen! Will definitely keep an eye out, Karl.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2008, 13:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this Karl. Will surely keep a look out for this in Pune.
Old 29th August 2008, 13:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This is unbelievable!! A 37 years old car stolen! Is there suddenly a big demand for old cars like these?
Stealing old cars fetches good scrap money. Sometimes usable parts too are sold, like regular-size tyres that are sometimes to be found quite new in these cars as they are not driven much after the last adrenaline squeeze leading to a mini repair. The police doesn't bother much with these stray cases since often-times the owners also don't bother much; often in fact there's a collective sigh of relief instead! So, the thieves get away quite easily. Now, with growing reattachment to these vehicles, the goons have cooled off a bit - old car thefts were quite rampant till two-three years ago and mostly went unreported. Vandalism of shiny/metal parts continues to be a risk especially those living in condos with open parking - fear of someone breaking glasses is another - I'm always on tenterhooks, myself.

Classics and vintages are also known to have been stolen by, or at the behest of, a coveter/rogue collector, either for the whole automobile or for parts.

Given the condition of this car of course, I'm sure a stink will be raised. I hope, when they get her back, Subhash/Karl, it will be with little damage to her well-preserved condition.

Last edited by Prabal : 29th August 2008 at 13:20.
Old 29th August 2008, 13:21   #20
BHPian

Will keep an eye out. Will ask others to do the same. Hope it's recovered soon.
Old 29th August 2008, 13:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

i dont feel anyone would turn such an old vehicle into a TAXI i am dead sure this wont land up in Mumbai so soon.

Since its been stolen from Pune, i am sure it would be somewhere found in the city's outskirts or remote places near PUne itself.

There are loads and loads of such Fiat's available in Mumbai which are in line for scrapping.

My take on this is that the vehicle would be near Pune itself.

Agreed its a classic now for the Fiat Fans (including me) but for Folks at chor bazar or CST road, its nothing different than a late model Fiat. i assume. though they make make some good money out of probably 2-3 parts and thats about it.

I hope u find your ride back soon.

I had a similar experience when my 3 month old 1991 Primer 137D was stolen.. but unfortunately i never got it back.

HOpe this doesnt happen to you.
Old 29th August 2008, 13:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

i hope you get back the car in shape.
if possible keep an eye on old fiat lovers - from outside the FCCCI group. no hard feelings. :(

if you have source in some media - publish the pics and details if possible.
Old 29th August 2008, 14:23   #23
BHPian

Sorry Karl to hear this, hope you find her ASAP with the help of fellow TBHPians
Old 29th August 2008, 14:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Karl i am keeping my eyes open in Mumbai,will try to help you in the best way i can hope you get the ride back soon.
Old 29th August 2008, 14:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Would it help to just go around the city to some paint shops to see if this car has come in for a paint job? There are scores of paintshops in pune and most on main roads in localities. I know that its wishful thinking but just a thought. If the car was stolen by an oppurtunist thief who just took off cause keys were hanging, he would get if off his hands soon. Taxi theory makes sense but wonder if it really can be traced if its gone that way.
Old 29th August 2008, 15:31   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
There is tremendous demand for good condition cars to be converted to run as taxis in Bombay on the old regn itself. Its cheaper than overhauling one of those.
That seems to be the most probable scenario. The end use will lead to the culprit. I doubt anyone would have stolen it for its heritage value. Its value as a taxi seems to be the most likely cause for theft. Obviously there's a nexus of workshops helping out the taxi operators. Scour all the workshops in and around Pune. They can't hide a car!

Freshly painted taxi bodies should be targeted. Also have the cops check out all taxis going back into Bombay in the coming days

Last edited by DKG : 29th August 2008 at 15:33.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

I hope you guys have lodged a police complaint. Otherwise if the thieves commit a crime with this car you will be liable for it. I am sure you will get the car back soon. It is very rare for a car to vanish just like that - lock, stock and barrel.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:03   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Karl, I don't know if this helps but there is an 1100D from the 60's for sale in Pune. I have forwarded an email with contact details to you.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:46   #29
BHPian

Sorry to hear that, Karl. I have heard about Mr. Karmarkar through some of the family friends, and am sure he must have felt really sad after this.

Will surely be on a lookout for her.
Old 29th August 2008, 18:11   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Karl, I don't know if this helps but there is an 1100D from the 60's for sale in Pune. I have forwarded an email with contact details to you.
Thanks, I just called him, the car was sold yesterday itself. Genuine person, not a suspect.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks