Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2010, 23:56   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko View Post
Saw a W203 C-Class in Jor Bagh Delhi bearing "RNB 1"...is this Ranthambore by any chance?
RN* is an 80s Rajasthan Regn.
Old 26th July 2010, 23:18   #347
BHPian

Gents,
Been away Granny & Grandad visiting in London for two weeks with our 3 year old so just catching up on email today.

I am working on the assumption that JAM is pre 1939 and that KHV and SSV are post 1939. Is that what the collected wisdom also thinks? Why would Kutch and Saurashtra use V as their only (as far as I know) serial letters. I think both were princely states at the time but V for.......? There are no other SSx or KHx series from anywhere as far as I know.
Cheers
Cedric
Old 28th July 2010, 11:19   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
I am working on the assumption that JAM is pre 1939 and that KHV and SSV are post 1939. Is that what the collected wisdom also thinks? Why would Kutch and Saurashtra use V as their only (as far as I know) serial letters. I think both were princely states at the time but V for.......? There are no other SSx or KHx series from anywhere as far as I know. Cheers Cedric
Hi hope you are enjoying the grandchildren.
I have gone a bit deeper, KHV & SSV are pre 1940 registrations. KHV was KH for Kutch, and V for vehicle. These were used by the state. Around 1940 when the new system came in, they introduced the red KUTCH plates.
Karl had come up that in SSV, SS must be for Saurashtra State, and probably again V is for vehicle.
JAM is peculiar, because that was Nawanagar, I would like to see more cars with the JAM series. Anyway, all this went out in 1940 with the new act, and the cars got BYA, BYC etc.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 28th July 2010 at 11:20.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:26   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi hope you are enjoying the grandchildren.
I have gone a bit deeper, KHV & SSV are pre 1940 registrations. KHV was KH for Kutch, and V for vehicle. These were used by the state. Around 1940 when the new system came in, they introduced the red KUTCH plates.
I remember many years back in a garage restoring some classics, there was a big bunch of number plates hanging from the cieling, probably of cars being worked on/worked on earlier. One of them was a red plate, with large riveted letters in gold reading 'KUTCH 20'. I assume it was a royal car. On the reverse was the later number it recieved, which I dont remember.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:13   #350
BHPian

Harit,
It was us who were taking our 3 year old to visit her grandparents so it was damn hard work for us but she enjoyed it enormously as did the Grannies and Grandads. I will be glad to go back to work this weekend for a rest :-)

The info on KHV and SSV does make sense as they are so unlike the rest of the 1939 and later series. I always worried about them.

Karlos,
And why didn't you acquire some of those most excellent plates from your visits back then! :-)
They would be worth quite a lot nowadays on Ebay!
Hindsight is a wonderful thing however.

Gentlemen,
The attached is a photo belonging to the big German plate maker (they have a plate museum in Germany) Utsch. They claim it is an Andhra Pradesh number that they collected in 1973. If so it should read ADG 4383. I guess they are right when they say they got it in India in 1973 but they have been known to get one or two older plates wrong before. It is mc size from the original photo I received.
Just a curiosity for you all.

I tried searching through some of my earlier posts but I couldn't find photos of the 6 or so Royal household plates that are in collections around the world. If I havn't posted them, let me know and I will.
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-ind-1947-adg-4383-andhra-pradeshjlmu-so-claimed.jpg  

Last edited by sabinesnubbing : 29th July 2010 at 15:18. Reason: forgot something
Old 30th July 2010, 11:26   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit,
It was us who were taking our 3 year old to visit her grandparents so it was damn hard work for us but she enjoyed it enormously as did the Grannies and Grandads. I will be glad to go back to work this weekend for a rest :-)
Gentlemen,
The attached is a photo belonging to the big German plate maker (they have a plate museum in Germany) Utsch. They claim it is an Andhra Pradesh number that they collected in 1973. If so it should read ADG 4383. I guess they are right when they say they got it in India in 1973 but they have been known to get one or two older plates wrong before. It is mc size from the original photo I received.
Just a curiosity for you all. Cheers Cedric
Oops, I did not read properly "our" 3 year old.
This plate may have been a sample made and kept by the licence plate shop. They often used the actual characters but mounted them on a plate randomly so as not to put up anyone authentic registration number. That would possibly explain why the characters are jumbled.

Cheers harit
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:13   #352
Senior - BHPian

Attached is an old picture of a Ford Model A with registration number PC 465 DJ. Does anyone have any idea where this belongs to?
There is something written on the lower side of the number plate, unfortunately not legible. The big round 'thing' seems to be a horn.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-op-scene-9-.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2010, 19:23   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a 1940 Chevrolet with such a registration number viz. K 6045.Sardar Vallabhai Patel is seen stepping out of the car.The car also has a placard "Congress Car' that is placed on the front grille.
Early registration numbers in India-14.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd September 2010 at 19:25.
Old 4th September 2010, 11:06   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This is a 1940 Chevrolet with such a registration number viz. K 6045.Sardar Vallabhai Patel is seen stepping out of the car.The car also has a placard "Congress Car' that is placed on the front grille.
"K" series was the last series in Bombay State before the new vehicle act came into being in 1939 and all cars were compulsorily re-registered in 1940. My 1939 Buick has its original registration book, it shows that it had a "K" number before.

Cheers harit
Old 4th September 2010, 11:36   #355
BHPian

Harit,
Lovely old photos - your collection is coming along nicely :-)
I can't say exactly what PC456DJ is but I have the attached photo borrowed from the Images of Empire website. I have no idea what it is also except that one of the members here (Karl?) suggested it could be (Indian) Paramilitary Corps - Dinjan.
I have Googled previously for the IPC but didn't find anything useful regarding plates or places.
The IOE picture has the title 'Dr. Tweedie, Assam, 1935'

So, can anyone enlighten us further about this?
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-ind-1902-dj-81pc-unknownioe.jpg  

Last edited by sabinesnubbing : 4th September 2010 at 11:48. Reason: Problems uploading photo
Old 4th September 2010, 11:48   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea what it is also except that one of the members here (Karl?) suggested it could be (Indian) Paramilitary Corps - Dinjan.
I have Googled previously for the IPC but didn't find anything useful regarding plates or places.
Cedric
Thank you for remembering Cedric. It was actually I who had taken a guess, a year back on this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1458680
Old 19th September 2010, 22:22   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
1935 Cadillac.. I hope the Metro Motors tag is not removed .. keeping the dealers tag which is also an original accessory..Lovely car and enjoy the lovely snaps
MPR 484 should be an early 1960's Raipur (M.P.) registration.The car would have had a different original number.
Old 20th September 2010, 17:44   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MPR 484 should be an early 1960's Raipur (M.P.) registration.The car would have had a different original number.
Anjan,

Just asking, are you sure the MPR registration was for Raipur, my car was registered in Durg and bear the no MPR. Or is it at that time there was only one RTO for both of the cities. My car MPR 4142 is of 1959.
Old 20th September 2010, 22:01   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Anjan,

Just asking, are you sure the MPR registration was for Raipur, my car was registered in Durg and bear the no MPR. Or is it at that time there was only one RTO for both of the cities. My car MPR 4142 is of 1959.

Quote:

Sir, since the car is 1935 model and the registration series it has got on itself is from the late 1950's and early 1960's.

Going back in History ,Central Province & Berar ( Province of British India.). The province comprised British conquests from the Mughals and Marathas in central India, and covered much of present-day Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra states. Its capital was Nagpur.The Marathi-speaking Berar region of the Hydrabad Princely State was annexed to the Central Provinces in 1903 for administration and later to form the new Central Provinces and Berar in 1936.

Name:  britind.gif
Views: 25503
Size:  101.6 KB

After Indian Independence in 1947, a number of princely states were merged into the Central Provinces and Berar, which, when the Constitution Of India went into effect in 1950, became the new Indian state of Madhya Pradesh.

Name:  indreorg.gif
Views: 16380
Size:  27.2 KB

Now looking at the history we can say that since this car is a 1935 car, it beared someother registration on it before the current one. So the registration process must have started with the same year or a couple of years later. Due this process all vehicles had to re-register and get the new MP Series. Now i am not very sure of how this process was done but it is normally done on first come first serve basis. So you might find for Example (MPR 3314 on a fiat and MPR 3313 on a Chevrolet). Here is also a pic of a 1933 Chevrolet which has a similar registration.

Early registration numbers in India-img_6323.jpg

Mr. Jatti - could you please try and get the date of registration of this caddy or a copy of the RC if Mr.Titus is ok with it.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 20th September 2010 at 22:08.
Old 21st September 2010, 23:58   #360
Senior - BHPian

The puzzle of registrations in India has been difficult, we are able to gather information only piece meal. The established fact is that British India had re-registration in 1940, probably after the vehivles act of 1939. Madras and Bombay had new registrations issued.
Other states would have followed after they were organised under the union of India. Fact is that there is no original registration valid anywhere in India, though some cars sport the Madras registration plate. Everything was re-registered. Only question is when. MP series would have been started after the formation of Madhya Pradesh in 1950. I believe that MP did not have too many cars and so a registration series lasted very long. Maybe some owners of MP? registered cars can let us know when their cars was first registered.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed