Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2015, 11:02   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Not India, or early......but interesting
Pondicherry had a similar single digit registration number "P" earlier.
There was a Vedette in Trivandrum in the early 70s, which was subsequently re-registered as KLV.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 19:15   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Pondicherry had a similar single digit registration number "P" earlier.
There was a Vedette in Trivandrum in the early 70s, which was subsequently re-registered as KLV.
Vedette or was it a Velocette?
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 19:18   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Vedette or was it a Velocette?
As far as my memory goes, it is a Vedette; a blue and white one.
Old 7th February 2015, 15:12   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

In this great image of the Ford truck used at Gandhiji's funeral we can make the registration out to be UPC 432 and then maybe a small T? Has this style been seen before?

Early registration numbers in India-2276.jpg

I believe the truck survives and is on display at one of the Institutions, recent pictures were shared earlier.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 15:34   #830
BHPian

Karl,

Maybe the T stands for transport vehicle?
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 21:12   #831
BHPian

Saw this really old Royal Enfield with ABU Regn. gathering dust. Would love any info on the bike or ABU series. Thanks.

Early registration numbers in India-wp_20150207_19_51_16_pro.jpg
Senna4Ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 22:08   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
Saw this really old Royal Enfield with ABU Regn. gathering dust. Would love any info on the bike or ABU series. Thanks.
ABU should be an AP series- most possibly Hyderabad. The 'Seventies/'Eighties- possibly.
FINTAIL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 00:33   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
In this great image of the Ford truck used at Gandhiji's funeral we can make the registration out to be UPC 432 and then maybe a small T? Has this style been seen before?
Karl,
First time I have seen that. It is the 1939 series from somewhere in United Provinces but I have no idea which letter was for which office.
Good photo!
Cheers
Cedric
Old 15th February 2015, 17:40   #834
BHPian

Spotted this bus on road just yesterday during my short visit to Lucknow. Possibly being used as a service vehicle with UPSRTC. It was impossible to identify any make but most probably Tata. Learnt form previous posts that it is a Lucknow registration but any ideas on timeline?

Another thing I must mention is the appreciable number of old vehicles (with 3 alphabet registration) in Lucknow. Is it because that maybe two alphabet (UP) regn. was implemented later compared to other states or just economics..?

USX 6664
Early registration numbers in India-wp_20150214_15_26_46_pro.jpg
Old 15th February 2015, 18:57   #835
BHPian

A very nice thread. My dad had a LML Vespa - Karnataka registered and it's number plate began with "CAO" ('C'-state code, 'AO'-specific RTO), he bought the vehicle in the 80s.
Old 15th February 2015, 19:48   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ABU is Hyderabad, circa early 1980s. So that's when the bike may date to, unless twas an older model re-registered. Where have you found this bike btw?
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 20:07   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
USX 6664
Hi. The UP_ and the US_ series went on concurrently in the United Provinces (aka Uttar Pradesh!) in some areas. UPX was Faizabad, and umm....perhaps yes- USX would would've been Lucknow commercial- running parallel to USJ.

USJ 7447 is a '47 Buick- I've had the pleasure to be in:

Early registration numbers in India-buick__super_8__1949__30.6_hp__8_cyl__kolkata_20130113_3047.jpg

Assuming that USJ and USX ran concurrently, and the UP_ series followed that, in Lucknow at least, then- USX would date to sometime in the late 'Fifties.

It has been generally observed- That even though the UP_ and the US_ series ran concurrently in some places, in many other places, US_ series ran upto the mid- Sixties, and then that was followed by UP_.

In any case, this lasted upto 1973, from when the UT_ series started in Uttar Pradesh.

Conclusion: Well- For starters, the vehicle in the pic isn't a bus. It is a truck chassis- where strangely, the body length is lesser than the chassis- look at the chassis protrusion after the body.

The 'Niji -- Yaan Free Seva' inscription on the truck means- umm...'Yaan' means a vehicle, and 'Niji' means 'Personal' or 'sensitive'- IIRC. The body has been built in a rather superior manner, compared to what is normally seen on trucks. I think- perhaps it is used to carry goods of a sensitive nature? HEMRL (High Energy Material Research Lab) Trucks in Pune have somewhat similar bodies on their trucks.

Or perhaps- It is a training vehicle or some service vehicle with UPSRTC. I think it is a training/assisting service vehicle with some organization- Note that the original chassis is longer than the container. The container/body- has been salvaged from some other vehicle.

But- Why have they kept it for so long? Either it is specialized to perform to a specific requirement, or simply because of nostalgia? I wonder.

The time frame: Late 'Fifties, to the mid 'Sixties.

As regards to the thing you mention- More number of older registered vehicles on the road- I'm afraid, it means economics only.

Lucknowi people can clarify further if need be- Quoting samsag12 so as to obtain his response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
lucknow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevan007 View Post
A very nice thread. My dad had a LML Vespa - Karnataka registered and it's number plate began with "CAO" ('C'-state code, 'AO'-specific RTO), he bought the vehicle in the 80s.
My Aunt's Kinetic, was CAO 3758. Or something similar.

CAO would've been Bangalore East- More specifically Indiranagar, I guess.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 15th February 2015 at 20:09.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 20:31   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
ABU is Hyderabad, circa early 1980s. So that's when the bike may date to, unless twas an older model re-registered. Where have you found this bike btw?
Its an Enfield 200, so re-registration is not likely. Its in Gurgaon and has been left to rust (not disposed though). See my post at. Thanks for the input.
Old 15th February 2015, 21:23   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Hi. The UP_ and the US_ series went on concurrently in the United Provinces (aka Uttar Pradesh!) in some areas. UPX was Faizabad, and umm....perhaps yes- USX would would've been Lucknow commercial- running parallel to USJ.

Assuming that USJ and USX ran concurrently, and the UP_ series followed that, in Lucknow at least, then- USX would date to sometime in the late 'Fifties.

In any case, this lasted upto 1973, from when the UT_ series started in Uttar Pradesh.

Conclusion: Well- For starters, the vehicle in the pic isn't a bus. It is a truck chassis- where strangely, the body length is lesser than the chassis- look at the chassis protrusion after the body.

The 'Niji -- Yaan Free Seva' inscription on the truck means- umm...'Yaan' means a vehicle, and 'Niji' means 'Personal' or 'sensitive'- IIRC.

Or perhaps- It is a training vehicle or some service vehicle with UPSRTC.
Totally missed the idea of it being originally a truck. Given the age, the transformation and the fact it is with the government, highly doubtful that a single original part remains except the chassis. My bet would be on this truck being a training vehicle for UPSRTC drivers.

'Niji Yaan' translates to 'Personal Vehicle' (not sensitive). It makes sense as this vehicle is not into public service. Also, the condition of the truck does not really say sensitive goods.

The 'truck' has managed to survive for a long time. Primary reason for that, as you said, must be economics.
Old 15th February 2015, 22:13   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

My Aunt's Kinetic, was CAO 3758. Or something similar.

CAO would've been Bangalore East- More specifically Indiranagar, I guess.
Wow didn't know 'AO' belonged to Indiranagar RTO. Thanks for letting me know. My Dad's LML Vespa, was CAO 4475.

Most Viewed