Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2009, 14:34   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of early 'X' registerations are clearly visible in this video, dated 1932.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1479287-post761.html

Early registration numbers in India-3.jpg
Early registration numbers in India-5.jpg
Old 12th September 2009, 15:21   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
We had an '61 Amby with WBE plates. We still have a '59 also with WBE plates! And to add to the confusion, our '72 Beetle has WMB registration, but we imported her (and thereby registered here) in 1979, by when the WME/WMF series was probably already in commission!!

To move to Punjab now, my father bought a Fiat 1100D in 1971 from Prince Automobiles, Jalandhar, (after a 5 or 6 year wait, post booking - but that's another story). This was the closest Fiat dealership from Pathankot where father was posted, and we drove back there afterwards. I don't remember exactly, but I think the car was registered in Pathankot itself. The number was PNP 3446. Could the last 'P' therefore have been for Pathankot (sorry for unpegging you, Patiala!)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Karl,
I think more information than I can supply has been posted by Prabal although I can date some WBJ to 1967 also. However I want to throw a spanner in the works and suggest that originally in 1947 the third letter indicated a place. I have a feeling that at some time later this may have changed as the 60s vehicles seem to be more according to date rather than place. If you look at my WB photos I particularly mean WBY 9 as looking like it is indeed a 1947 number but many of the lower letters are 60s.
I think they may have fiddled with the system at some point!
Cheers
Cedric

Well there were many cars you might find with the same reg number but of different periods.for example -My grandfather had bought a 1956 studebaker commander from msomeone in bihar and then got it transfered to calcutta where this car got the number WBB 5909 and at that time the running series was WBE which we might see common to many studebakers from calcutta.If we compare the 1934 rear engined merc that was done by us has the number WBB 6262 so if it was running in proper series as it happens today then the studey's number is not possible.I have another example my 1930 mercedes benz has the reg number WBA 5724 and the mercedes 180 A under restoration by us has the registration number WBA 8385 so that doesn't make sense.

The thing which had happend was when cars were scrapped you had to surrender the papers to the motor vehicles and then these numbers were again given to cars later on so we might find many cars of the same,earlier or later period with the same reg series.That doesn't mean that they were of the same period.This thing of giving old numbers to other newer cars has been stopped to avoid confussion.Hope this info helped.
Old 17th September 2009, 23:16   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well there were many cars you might find with the same reg number but of different periods.for example -My grandfather had bought a 1956 studebaker commander from msomeone in bihar and then got it transfered to calcutta where this car got the number WBB 5909 and at that time the running series was WBE which we might see common to many studebakers from calcutta.If we compare the 1934 rear engined merc that was done by us has the number WBB 6262 so if it was running in proper series as it happens today then the studey's number is not possible.I have another example my 1930 mercedes benz has the reg number WBA 5724 and the mercedes 180 A under restoration by us has the registration number WBA 8385 so that doesn't make sense.

The thing which had happend was when cars were scrapped you had to surrender the papers to the motor vehicles and then these numbers were again given to cars later on so we might find many cars of the same,earlier or later period with the same reg series.That doesn't mean that they were of the same period.This thing of giving old numbers to other newer cars has been stopped to avoid confussion.Hope this info helped.
I do not think that vehicle registration numbers were ever reassigned. Nowhere in India has such an event come to light. However, never say ever unless you see the same number on 2 different cars.
Bengal first had only numbers, upto 5 digits. Then somewhere they changed to BLB etc. sequence, see the Auburn and other cars. By sheer co-incidence Mumbai also has BLB series. This was duplication of the series, not reassignment of numbers. After the Bengal BLB etc series, they were re-registered WBA etc. So today, a car with uptodate papers in Bengal will have a WBA etc registration. When re-registering, all vintages pre BLB series were assigned new numbers. At the same time new cars were also registered. If you can look into an original WBA book of a vintage car, the old number will be mentioned within. But only in an original book, not duplicate.

Have a look in some book and let us have some feedback.

Cheers harit
Old 21st September 2009, 15:18   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I do not think that vehicle registration numbers were ever reassigned. Nowhere in India has such an event come to light. However, never say ever unless you see the same number on 2 different cars.
Bengal first had only numbers, upto 5 digits. Then somewhere they changed to BLB etc. sequence, see the Auburn and other cars. By sheer co-incidence Mumbai also has BLB series. This was duplication of the series, not reassignment of numbers. After the Bengal BLB etc series, they were re-registered WBA etc. So today, a car with uptodate papers in Bengal will have a WBA etc registration. When re-registering, all vintages pre BLB series were assigned new numbers. At the same time new cars were also registered. If you can look into an original WBA book of a vintage car, the old number will be mentioned within. But only in an original book, not duplicate.

Have a look in some book and let us have some feedback.

Cheers harit

Harit ,

The aurbun is a 20's car and my merc is a early 30's car so it should also
haven the same series.My merc has had this original number form day one so i think we need to clarify on that.The re-assigning of numbers did happen in Benagal that is how earlier and later cars had the same series of number.I have checked and clarified with my father regarding this thing and he confirmed the same.
Old 21st September 2009, 17:10   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Harit ,

The aurbun is a 20's car and my merc is a early 30's car so it should also
haven the same series.My merc has had this original number form day one so i think we need to clarify on that.The re-assigning of numbers did happen in Benagal that is how earlier and later cars had the same series of number.I have checked and clarified with my father regarding this thing and he confirmed the same.
I really doubt your Merc would have had a WBA number from day one. There was no WB at the time, right? As discussed extensively through this thread...

Can you post a scan of the RC book stating the date of first registration?
Old 21st September 2009, 19:38   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I really doubt your Merc would have had a WBA number from day one. There was no WB at the time, right? As discussed extensively through this thread...

Can you post a scan of the RC book stating the date of first registration?

Well it is so that my merc had it from day 1.My car was imported sometime in the late 30's.Well i'm sorry i cannot post a pic of the cars RC Book i can check and let you know.
Old 21st September 2009, 19:59   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said, BL_ series (including BLB) was originally issued in Bengal (from what I have come to recently understand by looking at various old pics - no confirmation). After the borders were redrawn and West bengal came into existence, the regns changed. For example, BLA 7266 became WBA 7266, BLB 5773 became WBB 5773. Bombay also issued BL_ series in the 80s, but that was well after the Bengal registrations were cancelled, so there would be no overlap. It is the only such case I have noticed.
Karl i found this on the pre 1965 rally thread where you had posted this.

Well i would like to point out a few things.If you are saying that BLB 5773 became a WBB 5773 then the aurbun is a 1926 car which has a BLB 1818 reg number where as my mercedes is a 1930 which has the reg WBA 5724 which you say would have had a BL series reg which would have been BLA 5724 but then is the aurbun is a 1926 and the merc is a 1930 then dosent this also contradict what harit said a few posts back about re-assignment of the same number?

West bengal motorvehicles used to re issue old numbers of the cars which the papers were surrendered to them and not randomly.Those cars whivch were written off you were ment to go to the motor vehicles and surrender the BLue book (also known as RC book) their.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:48   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Karl i found this on the pre 1965 rally thread where you had posted this.

Well i would like to point out a few things.If you are saying that BLB 5773 became a WBB 5773 then the aurbun is a 1926 car which has a BLB 1818 reg number where as my mercedes is a 1930 which has the reg WBA 5724 which you say would have had a BL series reg which would have been BLA 5724 but then is the aurbun is a 1926 and the merc is a 1930 then dosent this also contradict what harit said a few posts back about re-assignment of the same number?

West bengal motorvehicles used to re issue old numbers of the cars which the papers were surrendered to them and not randomly.Those cars whivch were written off you were ment to go to the motor vehicles and surrender the BLue book (also known as RC book) their.
Hi Indrojit,

Bengal is a bit far away and it is not easy to check from here. Can some members from Bengal do a bit of research? All you have to look into some original WBA registration books. Normally the old number should be mentioned inside.
What is certain about Bengal registrations is the following:
All Bengal cars had a registration number of digits only, upto 5 digits, no alphabet was used. There are enough pictures of such cars available on this forum, including a Voisin. I have several pictures of cars with this type of registration, one is a SS 90. So it is safe to say that this type of registration exiasted at least upto 1935.

All cars were re-registered to the new series BLB etc. During re-registartion it was not possible to maintain the same sequence. As cars were re-registered, they got their numbers assigned. So many cars may not have gone in for re-registration, having been scrapped, sold away from Bengal, just plain negligence etc. Perhaps the owner of a 1930 Mercedes went first, got his car re-registered, and the owner of a 1926 Auburn went later because he was on holiday in Darjeeling or so. Suddenly you find that a later car of 1930 has an earlier registration number than a 1926 Auburn.

After the partition, all cars were re-registered to WBA etc. series, again the order of the model years could have varied. Bengal cars were re-registered twice, enough to mix-up the sequencial order of registration numbers with the year of manufacture of the car.

But it could also be that the 1926 Auburn came into Bengal much later as a second hand car. In that case naturally the registration can be later than that of a 1930 Mercedes. Btw, is the registration BLB of the Auburn valid? I doubt.

What is not 100% sure is if old registration numbers were ever reassigned. There is no evidence of this ever having been done by any authority in India, why should Bengal be an excepton.

See, there are enough logical explanations for the 1926 Auburn to have a later sequence registration than the 1930 Mercedes, mainly due to the re-registration process. There is no contradiction.

Cheers harit
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:39   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Indrojit,

Bengal is a bit far away and it is not easy to check from here. Can some members from Bengal do a bit of research? All you have to look into some original WBA registration books. Normally the old number should be mentioned inside.
What is certain about Bengal registrations is the following:
All Bengal cars had a registration number of digits only, upto 5 digits, no alphabet was used. There are enough pictures of such cars available on this forum, including a Voisin. I have several pictures of cars with this type of registration, one is a SS 90. So it is safe to say that this type of registration exiasted at least upto 1935.

All cars were re-registered to the new series BLB etc. During re-registartion it was not possible to maintain the same sequence. As cars were re-registered, they got their numbers assigned. So many cars may not have gone in for re-registration, having been scrapped, sold away from Bengal, just plain negligence etc. Perhaps the owner of a 1930 Mercedes went first, got his car re-registered, and the owner of a 1926 Auburn went later because he was on holiday in Darjeeling or so. Suddenly you find that a later car of 1930 has an earlier registration number than a 1926 Auburn.
Well then we should not say then all the cars having the series BLB became WBB.AS mentioned in a few posts back that the BL series was replaced by the WB series so then there is a possiblity that new numbers in the last four places were given insted of the same numbers.So we need to clear that fact out

Quote:
After the partition, all cars were re-registered to WBA etc. series, again the order of the model years could have varied. Bengal cars were re-registered twice, enough to mix-up the sequencial order of registration numbers with the year of manufacture of the car.

But it could also be that the 1926 Auburn came into Bengal much later as a second hand car. In that case naturally the registration can be later than that of a 1930 Mercedes. Btw, is the registration BLB of the Auburn valid? I doubt.

What is not 100% sure is if old registration numbers were ever reassigned. There is no evidence of this ever having been done by any authority in India, why should Bengal be an excepton.

See, there are enough logical explanations for the 1926 Auburn to have a later sequence registration than the 1930 Mercedes, mainly due to the re-registration process. There is no contradiction.

Cheers harit
See the thing is you say that this transformation happend after independence that is post 1947.Now all the cars had to be transfered.Now see one thing.and 1956 mercedes couldn't have been registered in 1947 could it?I agree that in older cars there is a possibilty that it was transfered earlier or later but what about the cars which were manufactured later.A 1946-1947 MG got the WBB series and a 1956 merc got a WBA series isn't that contradicting the fact you gave about re -assigning of numbers?Since bengal had partition there could be a reason of re-assigning.

See the BL series cars which came away with west bengal got the WB series and the cars which went away with bangladesh got a new series their as well so the cars which went away with bangladesh with the BL series their numbers were re-assigned to transfered cars and other cars which were manufactured later.

Now how do we know which cars came with West Bengal and which went away with Bangladesh?Possibility is the government of west bengal could have issued a notice and asked all to come by a dead line to get the transfer procedure done.So the cars with BL series got WB (eg- BLA 1234 got WBA 1234) and suppose there was a gap so later they gave those numbers to the newer manufactured or transfered cars.

Suppose a car has been scrapped to the scrap market and then the papers by rule of the motor vehicles west bengal have to be given back to them or else they would come under the category of defaulters.Now the blue books were taken back and the numbers were again given to transfered cars or newer cars.The reason why they must have done so is simple to keep a easy record on taxes.Years after years the same guys are not working in the same place so these changes were brought to simplify their work.So mayb after that they might have changed their policy like the other states of not re-assigning the same numbers.

Hope i could present the senario clearly.

Regards
Old 26th September 2009, 13:06   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well then we should not say then all the cars having the series BLB became WBB.AS mentioned in a few posts back that the BL series was replaced by the WB series so then there is a possiblity that new numbers in the last four places were given insted of the same numbers.So we need to clear that fact out

See the thing is you say that this transformation happend after independence that is post 1947.Now all the cars had to be transfered.Now see one thing.and 1956 mercedes couldn't have been registered in 1947 could it?I agree that in older cars there is a possibilty that it was transfered earlier or later but what about the cars which were manufactured later.A 1946-1947 MG got the WBB series and a 1956 merc got a WBA series isn't that contradicting the fact you gave about re -assigning of numbers?Since bengal had partition there could be a reason of re-assigning.

See the BL series cars which came away with west bengal got the WB series and the cars which went away with bangladesh got a new series their as well so the cars which went away with bangladesh with the BL series their numbers were re-assigned to transfered cars and other cars which were manufactured later.

Now how do we know which cars came with West Bengal and which went away with Bangladesh?Possibility is the government of west bengal could have issued a notice and asked all to come by a dead line to get the transfer procedure done.So the cars with BL series got WB (eg- BLA 1234 got WBA 1234) and suppose there was a gap so later they gave those numbers to the newer manufactured or transfered cars.

Suppose a car has been scrapped to the scrap market and then the papers by rule of the motor vehicles west bengal have to be given back to them or else they would come under the category of defaulters.Now the blue books were taken back and the numbers were again given to transfered cars or newer cars.The reason why they must have done so is simple to keep a easy record on taxes.Years after years the same guys are not working in the same place so these changes were brought to simplify their work.So mayb after that they might have changed their policy like the other states of not re-assigning the same numbers.

Hope i could present the scenario clearly.

Regards
Dear Indrojit,

Thanks for your scenario post. But what we are more interested to read on this forum is facts, opinions but scenarios created with imagination do not really contribute.
I did what you could also have done, ask somebody. I called up an old friend in Calcutta. He explained that the original registration system of 5 numbers was issued by the authority ehich was administering Calcitta and surrounding areas. It was not for the entire Bengal. And it was not a transport authority as we have today. He himself has a car which has this 5 digit number. Unfortunately the previous owner did not re-register and when he tried to get a registration the records were eaten by 'book worms'(termites).

These cars were all re-registered to the BL series, now applicable for all Bengal and different series were issued by different offices. So BLA may have been issued in Calcutta, BLB may have been issued in Dhaka. So BLA and BLB could have been running simultaneously. Like here in Bombay Presidency BYA was running in Ahmedabad and BYJ was in Pune simultaneously.

Again when BL series were converted to WBA, WBB etc, these series were again issued by different RTO offices all over the state. This re-registration was done sometime in 1948. Now WBA was a series which was used in a particular RTO only and they will have registered cars upto the number 9999. Now till when this series ran has to be found out. As it is Bengal records are in a mess. I tried to get a duplicate book for a Study, could not get because no records are available. But you will see that the major Bengal vintage cars have a WBA number. You talk of a WBA registered Ponton Merc, please check the date of registration in the book.

It is mandatory in almost all RTO's in India that when a registration is cancelled, you have to surrender the blue book. And then they give an acknowledgement. One exception was UP, they cut the lower part of the book and returned it to you. It then became invalid. But even in Calcutta, these books were never re-issued. Please show once case where this was done. The gentleman I contacted was positive about this.

Cheers harit
Old 26th September 2009, 14:34   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Indrojit,

Thanks for your scenario post. But what we are more interested to read on this forum is facts, opinions but scenarios created with imagination do not really contribute.
Dear harit

That was a way of ening the whole thing.

Quote:

I did what you could also have done, ask somebody. I called up an old friend in Calcutta. He explained that the original registration system of 5 numbers was issued by the authority ehich was administering Calcitta and surrounding areas. It was not for the entire Bengal. And it was not a transport authority as we have today. He himself has a car which has this 5 digit number. Unfortunately the previous owner did not re-register and when he tried to get a registration the records were eaten by 'book worms'(termites).

These cars were all re-registered to the BL series, now applicable for all Bengal and different series were issued by different offices. So BLA may have been issued in Calcutta, BLB may have been issued in Dhaka. So BLA and BLB could have been running simultaneously. Like here in Bombay Presidency BYA was running in Ahmedabad and BYJ was in Pune simultaneously.

Again when BL series were converted to WBA, WBB etc, these series were again issued by different RTO offices all over the state. This re-registration was done sometime in 1948. Now WBA was a series which was used in a particular RTO only and they will have registered cars upto the number 9999. Now till when this series ran has to be found out. As it is Bengal records are in a mess. I tried to get a duplicate book for a Study, could not get because no records are available. But you will see that the major Bengal vintage cars have a WBA number. You talk of a WBA registered Ponton Merc, please check the date of registration in the book.

It is mandatory in almost all RTO's in India that when a registration is cancelled, you have to surrender the blue book. And then they give an acknowledgement. One exception was UP, they cut the lower part of the book and returned it to you. It then became invalid. But even in Calcutta, these books were never re-issued. Please show once case where this was done. The gentleman I contacted was positive about this.

Cheers harit

That is exactly what i ment.There were series alloted to cars from dhaka as well so when partition took plpace where we are saying all BLB series are becomeing WBB we should also remeber the fact that there were BLA series cars which went away with bangladesh.So they got a new reg series their nad the BLB (dhaka according to what you said) got WBB so what about the gaps ?Isn't that good enough proof to say that the gap numbers were given to other cars?

The fact which i am repeating again and agian that if numbers were not re-assigned to other cars how is it possible for a 56-57 ponton to get a WBA series which you onlyt siad were given in 1948?That is a contradiction in its self.

There is no proof to say they were not re-assigned but on the other hand we have much later cars with older series isn't that a good enough proof in its own way?
Old 26th September 2009, 15:18   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear harit

That was a way of ening the whole thing.

That is exactly what i ment.There were series alloted to cars from dhaka as well so when partition took plpace where we are saying all BLB series are becomeing WBB we should also remeber the fact that there were BLA series cars which went away with bangladesh.So they got a new reg series their nad the BLB (dhaka according to what you said) got WBB so what about the gaps ?Isn't that good enough proof to say that the gap numbers were given to other cars?

The fact which i am repeating again and agian that if numbers were not re-assigned to other cars how is it possible for a 56-57 ponton to get a WBA series which you onlyt siad were given in 1948?That is a contradiction in its self.

There is no proof to say they were not re-assigned but on the other hand we have much later cars with older series isn't that a good enough proof in its own way?
Hi Indrojit,

Do you mean to say that all WBA numbers were allotted in 1948? A series did not go for a year, it went on till it reached 9999, whenever that was. So if WBA was started in 1948 or so, it need not have ended in 1948.
Did you examine the blue book of this 1956 -57 Ponton? Please have a look at the book, and then let us know the date of registration. Even better will be if you check that the engine and chassis numbers match with the car and book. You may be surprised with what you will find.

May I request you to read my posts again? Nowwhere did I say BLB definitely went to Dhaka, I gave an example. I did not say that WBB went to Dhaka, just WBB was another series, MAYBE even in another RTO.

After re-reading my posts, you will see that I did not say BLA became WBA with same numbers, that is probably not what happened. That was Karl.

Another possibility is that first all old cars were re-registered and then WBA was suspended, to be resumed later when no more applications came for old cars. In that case the later manufactured cars would have serial numbers nearer to 9999. Many know that WBA 1, 7. 9 etc are all vintage cars. Still to satisfy myself, I asked another person also, he also does not remember numbers being realloted. Why do you not ask people? You are from there, you have more contacts than me.

Another request, can you please read your post before finally uploading? I have not understood the first sentence, if you meant ending it is still not clear. And what are gap numbers?

If you can reply with some real info after doing some real research, it will be helpful for us to answer the questions. But if you rattle of whatever you think without any backup and so many spelling mistakes, then I will let it rest. But I am still talking to people to get some more info.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 26th September 2009 at 15:23.
Old 26th September 2009, 15:39   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Indrojit,

Do you mean to say that all WBA numbers were allotted in 1948? A series did not go for a year, it went on till it reached 9999, whenever that was. So if WBA was started in 1948 or so, it need not have ended in 1948.
Did you examine the blue book of this 1956 -57 Ponton? Please have a look at the book, and then let us know the date of registration. Even better will be if you check that the engine and chassis numbers match with the car and book. You may be surprised with what you will find.

May I request you to read my posts again? Nowwhere did I say BLB definitely went to Dhaka, I gave an example. I did not say that WBB went to Dhaka, just WBB was another series, MAYBE even in another RTO.

After re-reading my posts, you will see that I did not say BLA became WBA with same numbers, that is probably not what happened. That was Karl.

Another possibility is that first all old cars were re-registered and then WBA was suspended, to be resumed later when no more applications came for old cars. In that case the later manufactured cars would have serial numbers nearer to 9999. Many know that WBA 1, 7. 9 etc are all vintage cars. Still to satisfy myself, I asked another person also, he also does not remember numbers being realloted. Why do you not ask people? You are from there, you have more contacts than me.

Another request, can you please read your post before finally uploading? I have not understood the first sentence, if you meant ending it is still not clear. And what are gap numbers?

If you can reply with some real info after doing some real research, it will be helpful for us to answer the questions. But if you rattle of whatever you think without any backup and so many spelling mistakes, then I will let it rest. But I am still talking to people to get some more info.

Cheers harit

Harit,

I never said that you said that BLA bacame WBA i said as mentioned in earlier posts.Inever took anbodys name.You said BLB was dhaka and BLA was something close to calcutta you never mentioned it was an example anywhere.When someone gives a example he/she says it is any example.How can you for sure say that two or more series were running parallel?I ahve asked people and i am going according to what i have researched upon.I will do the research of the ponton and will let you know the results.

By gap numbers i mean For example- BLA 1233 went with bagladeshand BLA 1234 and BLA 1232 stayed with india so the BLA 1233 bacame a gap in the series during re-registration process.Similarly BLB 1324 came away with india BLB 1323 went with Bangladesh and BLB 1322 came with india ,so , BLB 1323 became gap again.

you know sometimes when you are typing fast you may have some spelling mistakes and typing errors.I didn't get what you ment about having a back up could you please exaplin that a bit more clearly.On what grounds do you say that i rattle off whatever i think?It is upto you if you wish to rest your case or not.I or nobody can connot comment on your decision.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 26th September 2009 at 15:47.
Old 27th September 2009, 13:21   #194
BHPian

Indrojitsircar,
I have been reading the conversaition on WBA numbers and want to add my small piece.
Basically, we are sure that nowhere in pre partition or post partition India were surrendered (cancelled) numbers reissued to other vehicles. This is pretty much true of ALL countries that were part of the British empire and continues to this day in the UK, India and Pakistan.

We are certain that when the 5 digit and B prefix numbers for Bombay Presidency were re-registered in 1939, the suffix letter to the BL and BG series indicated the district (RTO if you like) that it was issued in.

Again when every vehicle then on the roads was re-registered in 1947/48 due to partition, we are certain that (for example) BLA 7266 bacame WBA 7266 and so on for all the other vehicles that were licensed at the time of re-registration.

There were certainly gaps in these numbers as some vehicles were no longer on the roads and so were not re-registered. It appears from photographic evidence that each RTO issued the missing numbers to new vehicles certainly until the mid 50s (or even later) in some RTOs.

So, I think it is true to say that this mid 50s ponton Merc could have had one of these WBA numbers although it was ceratinly never carried by another vehicle previous to that.

As Harit says, none of us knows which RTO any of the BL and WB suffix letters belonged to or exactly when the series stopped - sadly.
Have a check in your original blue book for us and let us know the date of first registration, any changes to registration number and what they are, where registered, etc.

Cheers
Cedric

Last edited by sabinesnubbing : 27th September 2009 at 13:23. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 29th September 2009, 15:02   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit,

I never said that you said that BLA bacame WBA i said as mentioned in earlier posts.Inever took anbodys name.You said BLB was dhaka and BLA was something close to calcutta you never mentioned it was an example anywhere.When someone gives a example he/she says it is any example.How can you for sure say that two or more series were running parallel?I ahve asked people and i am going according to what i have researched upon.I will do the research of the ponton and will let you know the results.

By gap numbers i mean For example- BLA 1233 went with bagladeshand BLA 1234 and BLA 1232 stayed with india so the BLA 1233 bacame a gap in the series during re-registration process.Similarly BLB 1324 came away with india BLB 1323 went with Bangladesh and BLB 1322 came with india ,so , BLB 1323 became gap again.

you know sometimes when you are typing fast you may have some spelling mistakes and typing errors. I didn't get what you ment about having a back up could you please exaplin that a bit more clearly.On what grounds do you say that i rattle off whatever i think?It is upto you if you wish to rest your case or not.I or nobody can connot comment on your decision.
Hi Indrojit,

I did a little bit of research and came up with a surprising fact which may explain all.

I did get a WBA blue book, i.e. Registration Certificate in my hand and have copied 2 pages from it. It seems that we wrongly assumed that the BLA etc series were immediately changed to WBA in 1948, because in this WBA book the change was made in 1957. Probably West Bengal had other issues to deal with first, they had suffered heavily during the partition. This will also explain how it is possible that a late 1950's Merc also has a WBA number. I could never have imagined such a late changeover of numbers, in 1957! And the book clearly states the first date of registration as 9th December 1937. And so perhaps this Ponton Mertc was issued a "gap" number. This gives added impetus that car registration numbers were never reassigned. Unfortunately this is a 'duplicate' book, normally in duplicate books they do not mention the old number.

About one or two series running parallel, we know that different RTO offices issue different series, otherwise it becomes difficult to manage.

You have mentioned that you have done research, if you had you would have come up with something similar to what I have posted above. By back-up I mean the evidence, something like the 2 pages which I have attached.

About rattling off, I suggest you see the two lines which I have put in bold, combine them and you will see what I mean. As you can see, the typing fast and rattling are interconnected.

Hope this would help.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-wba-1.jpg  

Early registration numbers in India-wba-2.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks