Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2012, 06:27   #691
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
The Palace also had a two tone Mk I / II Ambassador and a Vanguard I used to see all the time - in addition to the cream Mercedes which was the official "Temple Car"
Here is one more for Ram to comment on. This car seems to have a "KLT" registration,so possibly an "update" to a Mark III ? The older headlamp trim seems to have been retained.

My memory says the two tone Palace Ambassador was a Mk I/II.

courtesy: vkphotography.net

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-travancore-ambassador.jpg
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 13:03   #692
Senior - BHPian

The BSA Rocket Gold star , Snap taken in 1960. also check out the landy in background.
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-bsa-rocket-gold-star.jpg  

foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 14:12   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
The BSA Rocket Gold star , Snap taken in 1960. also check out the landy in background.
Lovely picture - better suited to the nostalgic thread in the future.

It doesn't appear to be a Gold Star, more likely to be a standard BB31 or BB33.
Old 25th October 2012, 16:00   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Lovely picture - better suited to the nostalgic thread in the future.

It doesn't appear to be a Gold Star, more likely to be a standard BB31 or BB33.
There is a sweet story behind this snap.

Few days back one of friend tagged a collash of his grand fathers bike's snap with his grannies sitting on it and he sitting on his bike in a similar manner with his wifey.That snap i have posted earlier in this thread, few days back.

After some days I noted the registration number in his sanp and some thing nodded in my mind. i have seen the same registration number some where ?

At last I was able to recollect the same number on the same bike near to my home in Trivandrum. As a result of that I was able to show him the current snap of his grand father's bike.

Even though the bike have changed much over the time , the bike is still intact and running condition.

My buddy was really amazed and he plans to buy that bike from the current owner who is a restorer, as the current owner is planning to sell it off.

After a very long break The BSA is gonna join its pedigree.

So happy to help my friend and i belive that it only happened because of my urge for rusting things.

This particular snap was send to me by the Old owners grand son !

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 25th October 2012 at 16:01. Reason: appending
foby.sebastian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 09:24   #695
Senior - BHPian

Check out an other running condition Oldie who carries the number 1
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-11.jpg  

Old 26th October 2012, 10:06   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check out an other running condition Oldie who carries the number 1
Are these genuine Registration number plates or the one like the ''KLV-1""?
by the way you have not mentioned where you saw the saw called palace Oldsmobile??
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 11:57   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Are these genuine Registration number plates or the one like the ''KLV-1""?
by the way you have not mentioned where you saw the saw called palace Oldsmobile??
The olds mobile snap was sent to be by my friend, as he said its some where in Trivandrum.

The other is Genuine
Old 27th October 2012, 14:33   #698
BHPian

Quote:
lets drool the KLV-1 Oldsmobile the palace car !
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This Olds is a 1962 model, and the grill seems to have been customised. This is what it should have looked like, a similar car balow, slightly different though.
I think the grille on the KLV-1 Olds is original enough. It's just the headlight bezel that I have my doubts about. Also the windscreen - looks like a later graft. The red '62 posted in the reference pic is clearly a different body style than the green KLV-1, which sports the later generation's style.

Now, this part I'm not very sure of, but the red one is probably a 88 or a 85, if I remember right - smaller than the larger 98 that KLV-1 should be, which also clearly reflects the shape that yank family boats were evolving into, towards the mid 60s. Or maybe both are either 88s or 98s, but different generations. Not sure!
Old 30th October 2012, 21:19   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lets drool the KLV-1 Oldsmobile the palace car !
Foby,

I don't know about the car but the number is definitely a spoof.

I don't know if you are aware - All the "State Cars" (the cars used by the Ministers of Kerala) are originally registered in the name of Director of Transport Department of Kerala (I am sure that this was the practice until 1992, but not sure what the practice is now). Yhey were all housed in the garages of the Goverment Guset House, Thycaud - The old Residency (official residence of the British Resudent of Travancore, opposite Government Model High School Trivandrum (where yours truly studied from 1964 to 1974) and always used to hang around the Garages at what ever "free periods" were available

Accordingly I know that the KLV - 1 was the car that was bought for Sri E M Shankaran Namboodiripad ( Com. EMS) when he became the Chief Minister of Kerala in 1967. The Car ran with the board of State Car 01. It was a Black Amby MK II. It was latter running in Trivandrum with KLV 1 plate as the official car of the Director of Transport Department.

In kerala to the best of my knowledge the transfer of number has not beem implemented and hence, the number has to be a spoof as rightly pointed out by Ajay as well.

The emblem as well is wrong as it does not have the swords as shown in the emblem in the car and the counch is totally different as well. The correct one is as follows

The Cars normally had only the Counch

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-travancore-royal-ca.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-travancore-royal.jpg  

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 30th October 2012 at 21:28.
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 07:01   #700
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ram
Here is a picture taken from Post # 499 showing the Palace Plymouth, where the couch design clearly validates what Ram has posted above

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-20120317-16.43.05.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 10:51   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is one more for Ram to comment on. This car seems to have a "KLT" registration,so possibly an "update" to a Mark III ? The older headlamp trim seems to have been retained.

My memory says the two tone Palace Ambassador was a Mk I/II.

courtesy: vkphotography.net

Attachment 1004988
Prem,

Sorry for the delayed response, as I was doing duty in the India Formula 1 GP in Delhi

The Red and cream two tone car in the Palace was indeed a MK II of 1965/66 model. This was one of the two original Factory paint MK II s in Trivandrum. The other one being a Blue (stripe) and Cream one.

The 2nd one is still with the Original owner family and still in MK II trim when I saw it last but with a Amby front glass fitted as the rear windows as well.

Both had numbers starting with KLT 7xxx. The Red and Cream then went to the jewellers Krishnan Nair & Sons and then to one of my uncles.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 31st October 2012 at 10:54.
Old 31st October 2012, 16:42   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Foby,

I don't know about the car but the number is definitely a spoof.

I don't know if you are aware - All the "State Cars" (the cars used by the Ministers of Kerala) are originally registered in the name of Director of Transport Department of Kerala (I am sure that this was the practice until 1992, but not sure what the practice is now). Yhey were all housed in the garages of the Goverment Guset House, Thycaud - The old Residency (official residence of the British Resudent of Travancore, opposite Government Model High School Trivandrum (where yours truly studied from 1964 to 1974) and always used to hang around the Garages at what ever "free periods" were available

Accordingly I know that the KLV - 1 was the car that was bought for Sri E M Shankaran Namboodiripad ( Com. EMS) when he became the Chief Minister of Kerala in 1967. The Car ran with the board of State Car 01. It was a Black Amby MK II. It was latter running in Trivandrum with KLV 1 plate as the official car of the Director of Transport Department.

In kerala to the best of my knowledge the transfer of number has not beem implemented and hence, the number has to be a spoof as rightly pointed out by Ajay as well.

The emblem as well is wrong as it does not have the swords as shown in the emblem in the car and the counch is totally different as well. The correct one is as follows

Ram
What you have said is correct except for a small error.It should be Director of Tourism Department and not Transport, as there is no such Directorate in Kerala(only Commissionerate) .The residency building also belongs to the Tourism department.To the best of my info the practice still continues.
Incidentally Comrade EMS's personal car was also an ambassador MK3 with number KRV-5 and this car is still in existence
Old 31st October 2012, 21:37   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What you have said is correct except for a small error.It should be Director of Tourism Department and not Transport, as there is no such Directorate in Kerala(only Commissionerate) .The residency building also belongs to the Tourism department.To the best of my info the practice still continues.
Incidentally Comrade EMS's personal car was also an ambassador MK3 with number KRV-5 and this car is still in existence
I did not want to correct what Ram had said!

My Dad was the Director of Tourism.....a treat for us as kids was to go to the "Garage" (they called it Gaaaarage) and see all the newly arrived cars as they came in from the STC. He would never give us a ride (against official policy, he always said). We could sit in them all we wanted.

I remember the Chevy Malibu Wagon, the Mercs, the Toyotas, the list just goes on and on.

Last edited by travancore : 31st October 2012 at 21:40.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 11:57   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I did not want to correct what Ram had said!

My Dad was the Director of Tourism.....a treat for us as kids was to go to the "Garage" (they called it Gaaaarage) and see all the newly arrived cars as they came in from the STC. He would never give us a ride (against official policy, he always said). We could sit in them all we wanted.

I remember the Chevy Malibu Wagon, the Mercs, the Toyotas, the list just goes on and on.
My Bad !!!

Of course !! Thampi Uncle. Did you know that he was my defacto guide for my Masters (Sociology) Dissertation on "Impact of Tourism in Kovalam"

Thanks for the corrections.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:49   #705
Senior - BHPian

The rolling Buick. Few snaps of interior and the Engine bay
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-buick-1.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-buick-2.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-buick-3.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-buick-4.jpg