Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:46   #1291
BHPian

Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ajay,

All the KSEB Biscayne came as part of the Idukki Hydroelectric Power Project - which was Canadian funded - and hence the RHD Biscayne which were made in Canada.

We know of at least 2 still in TVM don't we ? Is your pictured one from Kowdiar area ?

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
You are absolutely correct about the Canadian orgins of RHD Chevys of that era. RHD impalas were also present here. My great uncle an expert in these old cars says that Biscayne was just a stripped down Impala and since most people who bought these cars could afford an Impala it was immensely popular than the Biscayne.
These cars were almost the same and from that photo alone it's very hard to distinguish them, even for him. We guessed it was an impala based on the greater numbers in which it was imported.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 19:00   #1292
Distinguished - BHPian

courtesy: LIFE

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-trivandrum-kerala-state1.jpg

Chief Minister's residence (Cliff House ?)
travancore is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 12:02   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
courtesy: LIFE

Attachment 1428460

Chief Minister's residence (Cliff House ?)
Of course being the CM's official car, it definitely looks like taken in the portico of Cliff house .Is it a Plymouth or a Desoto?
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 17:39   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Of course being the CM's official car, it definitely looks like taken in the portico of Cliff house .Is it a Plymouth or a Desoto?
Clearly a Dodge Kingsway, 1956/57
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 18:20   #1295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Clearly a Dodge Kingsway, 1956/57
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-trivandrum-secretariat-pontiac-kerala-state22.jpg

Why were these "Commie" government Ministers driving around in Dodges and Pontiacs......when an appropriate Hindusthan or even "Volga" would suffice ?

Last edited by travancore : 18th October 2015 at 18:22.
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 18:39   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1428742

Why were these "Commie" government Ministers driving around in Dodges and Pontiacs......when an appropriate Hindusthan or even "Volga" would suffice ?
First of all these cars were alloted by the officials from the concerned department and hence probably they were not much concerned about the marques.
Also I doubt Volga cars were available in INDIA then.These cars were assembled in India so they must not have had any objection to their usage perse.
On another note it would be better to avoid terms like ""Commie'' which may hurt the sentiments of leftist supporters
Old 18th October 2015, 18:57   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
First of all these cars were alloted by the officials from the concerned department and hence probably they were not much concerned about the marques.
Also I doubt Volga cars were available in INDIA then.These cars were assembled in India so they must not have had any objection to their usage perse.
On another note it would be better to avoid terms like ""Commie'' which may hurt the sentiments of leftist supporters
Ajay,

I think Travancore's post was made in a lighter vein keeping in mind india's lean towards Russia post independence

Nothing more should be read into it, he certainly did not mean to offend.
Bulldogji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 18:57   #1298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with your comments.......which is precisely why both those words are in "double quotes". No offense taken, Ajay.

As an aside, my father was Director of Tourism - the department responsible for both ministerial cars (and houses) - at least until the 1990's. Earlier, he was Administrator at the Kerala House, New Delhi. So I have seen very closely the Impalas, Malibus, Mercedes, Toyotas etc that came in succession! Kerala House even had an Austin Cambridge / Morris Oxford in the mid 60's.

Just saw Bulldogji's post - it captures the spirit very well!

Last edited by travancore : 18th October 2015 at 19:08.
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 19:43   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with your comments.......which is precisely why both those words are in "double quotes". No offense taken, Ajay.

As an aside, my father was Director of Tourism - the department responsible for both ministerial cars (and houses) - at least until the 1990's. Earlier, he was Administrator at the Kerala House, New Delhi. So I have seen very closely the Impalas, Malibus, Mercedes, Toyotas etc that came in succession! Kerala House even had an Austin Cambridge / Morris Oxford in the mid 60's.

Just saw Bulldogji's post - it captures the spirit very well!
The Tourism Directorate still is responsible for the allotment and maintenance of these state cars. You forgot to mention one marque DATSUN.it was used in the early seventies by a minister whose son(also a politician) used to nostalgically mention about it.Kerala house also had a Ford whose picture has come in this thread.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 13:42   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You forgot to mention one marque DATSUN.it was used in the early seventies by a minister whose son(also a politician) used to nostalgically mention about it.
The light blue Datsun which was the official car of Late Mr. Moh'd Koya, whilst he was a Minister in the Kerala Assembly.

It used to come to Model School Trivandrum every day to drop his son to school, who is now a Minister himself in the current Kerala Government.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 16:27   #1301
BHPian

Wow, this is a lovely thread and most of you know the history of cars during the yester years.

There used to be quite a lot of W123's and a pristine LHD black Mercedes 280SE at TVM. Where are those ? I am trying to trace and not able to find any. All of them sold/scrapped ? I pray that at least one of them still maintained in mint condition.. most of the merc's had numbers like 555, 1234, 8888, in the series KER, KEV, KCT, KBR, KBT, KEK,

In addition, i also read and heard a lot of stories about the financier mentioned in the link http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/c.../1/337114.html

Supposed to have financed many movies during the 80's. He had an enviable collection of cars. Supposedly during a movie shoot one of his merc was damaged by an elephant and he promptly replaced it with another ! What eventually happened to those cars ?

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 19th October 2015 at 16:31. Reason: avoiding duplicate post
sunishsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 17:55   #1302
BHPian

I remember an episode of Fast track in manorama channel(not 100% sure which show it was) ,which showed the garage of
Mr Vellapalli Nateshan, he had dozens of old mercedes cars. He never sells a car he has bought simply puts it in his ever growing garage once that car has to be replaced. I think he owns one of the largest car collections in kerala.

Last edited by Captain Haddock : 19th October 2015 at 17:58. Reason: addition of detail
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 19:08   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Wow, this is a lovely thread and most of you know the history of cars during the yester years.

There used to be quite a lot of W123's and a pristine LHD black Mercedes 280SE at TVM. Where are those ? I am trying to trace and not able to find any. All of them sold/scrapped ? I pray that at least one of them still maintained in mint condition.. most of the merc's had numbers like 555, 1234, 8888, in the series KER, KEV, KCT, KBR, KBT, KEK,

In addition, i also read and heard a lot of stories about the financier mentioned in the link http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/c.../1/337114.html

Supposed to have financed many movies during the 80's. He had an enviable collection of cars. Supposedly during a movie shoot one of his merc was damaged by an elephant and he promptly replaced it with another ! What eventually happened to those cars ?
Many of the KBT,KEV,KET mercedes cars have not been scrapped and are still there.
The financiers TOYOTA COROLLA is still lying in a workshop in trivandrum
Dont know about his mercedes cars.
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 17:34   #1304
BHPian

Got this picture of a Meredez benz Bus of some educational institute in Kerala, from the net. IIRC there were buses running a school vans in rural Tamilnadu Especially Thanjavur
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-bus.jpg  

sankar009 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 19:23   #1305
BHPian

I was fortunate to go to school in those models of buses, I think the registration was KLT5311 and another KLT but not sure of the number. Eventually the buses were sold to a driving school at Parottukonam (i think so). One of the buses were short body with door in the middle, another long bodied with door at the rear. Even St. Thomas school had one of those buses till the early 90's but not sure what happened to that. I really wanted to buy that short bodied bus

The short bodied bus was a sprinter, looks its the original merc, was silent as well. I used to love travel on this bus. Was comfortable ride too. It was more reliable than than the long bodied one which was more noisy, had regular brake failures. Looks it was the Tata with the similar looking front. We loved those breakdown's because that was the time when Varma travels "Video coach" would come as replacement Ah I am nostalgic
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks