Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2013, 17:50   #961
Senior - BHPian

Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

yesterday at a used car dealer in Muvattupuzha, I saw a blue and white car. dealer claimed it is Buick 8(similar to this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1702103671.jpg). claims ex-owner is dewan of Travancore(IIRC). forgot the registration number but it is a KRE registration.

Last edited by deepclutch : 23rd June 2013 at 17:55.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 18:52   #962
Senior - BHPian

Saw a KLO registered 1963 Beetle in an eighties movie on television
can see the same at the last 3 minutes of this video

there is also another 2 door LHD coupe in this movie which can also be seen frequently in this video,number is not shown. dont know which marque it is.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:32   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Saw a KLO registered 1963 Beetle in an eighties movie on television.......
there is also another 2 door LHD coupe in this movie which can also be seen frequently in this video,number is not shown. dont know which marque it is.
In the beginning, a light blue Standard Vanguard (fastback) is seen passing by. The coupe you saw is a red Chevy Corsair, a rear engined car made famous by Ralph Nader. Similar car has been demolished in Pune recently along with that Ford Corsair.
I had to see abit of that movie, almost learnt Tamil. Anyway, my wife could have translated this for me.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 2nd August 2013 at 22:34.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 17:24   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
In the beginning, a light blue Standard Vanguard (fastback) is seen passing by. The coupe you saw is a red Chevy Corsair, a rear engined car made famous by Ralph Nader. Similar car has been demolished in Pune recently along with that Ford Corsair.
I had to see abit of that movie, almost learnt Tamil. Anyway, my wife could have translated this for me.

Cheers harit
Never thought it was Chevrolet !!it is really strange that you learnt Tamil seeing a Malayalam movie
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 20:47   #965
Senior - BHPian

Here is a video of the British wannabe sportscar which has been a part of many malayalam movies in the Eighties.

Car originally belonged to the Maharajah of Bidar
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 22:21   #966
Senior - BHPian

AJAY there was a made in india red sports 2 door car used in a movie shoot I saw in 1984 in Ooty . If I recall it had pop up headlights and a T type bar size between a Honda beat and a MR2. I think it was owned by someone in south india film industry, well executed and drool worthy. I feel confident you will know about this car, it probably showed up in a film
canonball is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 06:03   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

A Travancore Studebaker at the Trivandrum Tennis Club.

Picture is also posted on the Maharajas thread.

picture courtesy of TTC

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-travancore-studebaker-ttc.jpg
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 10:38   #968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
AJAY there was a made in india red sports 2 door car used in a movie shoot I saw in 1984 in Ooty . If I recall it had pop up headlights and a T type bar size between a Honda beat and a MR2. I think it was owned by someone in south india film industry, well executed and drool worthy. I feel confident you will know about this car, it probably showed up in a film
I am sorry that I dont remember having seen such a car in malayalam movies.But the red car in the video posted is an MGB with Registration number KLU-112,first owned in Kerala by the son of a former CM
Old 4th August 2013, 10:46   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry that I dont remember having seen such a car in malayalam movies.But the red car in the video posted is an MGB with Registration number KLU-112,first owned in Kerala by the son of a former CM
Maybe it was Tamil or telegu
Old 4th August 2013, 11:14   #970
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here is a video of the British wannabe sportscar which has been a part of many malayalam movies in the Eighties.
http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=8GgG1yJVEKw
Car originally belonged to the Maharajah of Bidar
It was owned by a distant relative of mine in Quilon. I believe the engine was changed for something else, this was in the mid 1980's
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 12:49   #971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It was owned by a distant relative of mine in Quilon. I believe the engine was changed for something else, this was in the mid 1980's
Ajay I think its the car Ajmat in mentioning. I am aware of a Roadster from the Ex CM's (R.S) family being bought by a cashew export group (who possibly are the people Ajmat is referring to) and they, if I am not mistaken, at one point dabbled with film production as well - recall in mid 70s and early 80s the Quilon based producers/production banners were very active in Malayalam Film industry and hence, the car's appearance in the movie.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 4th August 2013, 12:50   #972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Small correction, not an MBG but an MGA.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 14:40   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ajay I think its the car Ajmat in mentioning. I am aware of a Roadster from the Ex CM's (R.S) family being bought by a cashew export group (who possibly are the people Ajmat is referring to) and they, if I am not mistaken, at one point dabbled with film production as well - recall in mid 70s and early 80s the Quilon based producers/production banners were very active in Malayalam Film industry and hence, the car's appearance in the movie.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Ram,
It may be true that it was later in the hands of the cashew group involved in film production,but the car was owned by Advocate Hamza from Cochin when it appeared in the movie (TRISHNA) whose clip I have posted.The car was taken by truck from Cochin to Ooty shooting location.actually the original ragtop of the car is still there with a guy in Alwaye and heard that he is demanding a high price for it
Old 6th August 2013, 15:32   #974
Senior - BHPian

Here is another american pillarless classic which has featured in many malayalam movies in its golden era the eighties
Old 7th August 2013, 16:01   #975
Senior - BHPian

Triumph stag in kerala , hope that this won't leave kerala as the Mustang left !

Source :- https://www.facebook.com/groups/231997426944458/
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-stag.jpg  

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 7th August 2013 at 16:02. Reason: added the source
foby.sebastian is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed