Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 13:17   #991
BHPian

Re: Fiat 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Another classic imported fiat originally from South Kerala,

Quite inventive by Fiat! The tail lamps look very similar (if not identical) to the ones on similar era smaller engined Fiats in India but just placed horizontally! And the style of the slightly sideways angled fins sort of reminds me of the Chevy Impala's with the cats eye lenses and fantastic fins.
Old 30th August 2013, 14:07   #992
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Quite inventive by Fiat! The tail lamps look very similar (if not identical) to the ones on similar era smaller engined Fiats in India but just placed horizontally! And the style of the slightly sideways angled fins sort of reminds me of the Chevy Impala's with the cats eye lenses and fantastic fins.
The tail lights are normally rectangular. The owner was ingenious in using Fial parts although not the right ones!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 02:09   #993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was this car in Trivandrum (Sasthamangalam) in the early to mid-Seventies ? Probably white then.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 10:08   #994
BHPian

Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Vincent View Post
Interior restoration of 1981 Model Mercedes 300D, the work is still in progress, find below the pictures for completed repairs on the driver seat which was in a much worse condition than other seats
Looks brilliant! Could you share the cost of restoring those seats? Do they repair/restore the leather with it still affixed to the seat or do they take it off the cushion?

That W123 300D seems to be undergoing a complete restoration and that paint job looks fresh. But I have to ask, what is that eye-sore of a spoiler (name seems apt here) is doing on such a lovely machine?

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st August 2013 at 10:16. Reason: Closing quote tag appropriately.
Old 31st August 2013, 14:05   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Was this car in Trivandrum (Sasthamangalam) in the early to mid-Seventies ? Probably white then.
no,this is a kla car imported from italy by one person in Mavelikar in the sixties itself.There were 2-3 white fiat124 cars in trivandrum
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 14:30   #996
Senior - BHPian

These are not the actual lights of the model and are some local Fiat lights contraption as the old ones might have been broken, stolen or banged the car etc

They were more rectangle . And if the car survives good for it !

Cheers

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-fiat1500c04.jpg  

kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 17:07   #997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
These are not the actual lights of the model and are some local Fiat lights contraption as the old ones might have been broken, stolen or banged the car etc

They were more rectangle . And if the car survives good for it !

Cheers
Found another picture of Fiat 1500 which seems to be a closer match, especially the bodylines in area around the reverse lamp. These might be the original tail lamps.

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-fiat_wallpapers_141.jpg
source: http://wakpaper.com/id171717/fiat-15...768-pixel.html

Last edited by zenren : 31st August 2013 at 17:10.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 19:02   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Found another picture of Fiat 1500 which seems to be a closer match, especially the bodylines in area around the reverse lamp. These might be the original tail lamps.

Attachment 1132177
source: http://wakpaper.com/id171717/fiat-15...768-pixel.html
yes,this is most likely the correct tail lamps
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:12   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no,this is a kla car imported from italy by one person in Mavelikar in the sixties itself.There were 2-3 white fiat124 cars in trivandrum
I remember seeing a Fiat with this kind of back and with out tail lights/ monograms at Sakthan vegetable market.

The front resembelled the padmini and registration was very old. i will post it here if I see it again.
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:34   #1000
Senior - BHPian

http://video.webindia123.com/wheelsa...ochi/vauxhall/

Just found this on the internet.
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:19   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ajay, wasn't this car with a then famous Doctor, who used to live in Vanchiyoor (near the LP School) in the late 1960s and early 1970s ? It had a KLV registration if I recall. The same doctor also had Merc - a pontoon model - registration # KLV 2345 (to the best of my memory).

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:22   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ajay, wasn't this car with a then famous Doctor, who used to live in Vanchiyoor (near the LP School) in the late 1960s and early 1970s ? It had a KLV registration if I recall. The same doctor also had Merc - a pontoon model - registration # KLV 2345 (to the best of my memory).

Ram
Ram,you are correct regarding the fiat124.You are driving me into those nostalgic times .
The doctor with intials P.G. did have this red italian fiat(then commonly called) and it had a 2 puppy dolls on the parcel shelf above the rear seat.It used to be serviced by a Mechanic called Vishnu who then ran a workshop on the parallel road (Uppalam road) just opposite where PRS court apartments stand. As a child, I used to go to this mechanics workshop(staying next door then) and have had the good fortune to play around inside this car as well as his other imported cars which was a blue Datsun.I remember the mechanic mention about the same doctors benz,but till date was not aware of it being a ponton.
as per MVD records it is indeed a 1957 petrol Benz and it is KLV-2345 .Do you remember what colour it was then?
This mechanic was active till about 2-3 years ago and I always thought about asking him about these old cars but restrained from doing so because he was famous for his bad temper.
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:49   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ram,you are correct regarding the fiat124.You are driving me into those nostalgic times .
The doctor with intials P.G. did have this red italian fiat(then commonly called) and it had a 2 puppy dolls on the parcel shelf above the rear seat.It used to be serviced by a Mechanic called Vishnu who then ran a workshop on the parallel road (Uppalam road) just opposite where PRS court apartments stand.

Spot on Ajay

As a child, I used to go to this mechanics workshop(staying next door then) and have had the good fortune to play around inside this car as well as his other imported cars which was a blue Datsun.

The Blue Datsun was used by the doctor for a shortwhile, but did not belong to him. It was the car of his one of his close friends who had his base in Nagercoil

as per MVD records it is indeed a 1957 petrol Benz and it is KLV-2345 .Do you remember what colour it was then?

It was maroonish red - almost same colour as the Italian Fiat in the picture you had posted - with a Ivory Colour steering wheel

This mechanic was active till about 2-3 years ago and I always thought about asking him about these old cars but restrained from doing so because he was famous for his bad temper.

Didn't Vishnu shift his workshop to somewhere near West Fort area - road from West Fort and going to Palkulangara - I met him about 4 years ago and I am told that his son or nephew is now running the show. His bad temper - was reserved for those who wasted his time, whithout really understanding the real problem with thier cars (I don't mean you) and some of the morons who were his assistants.
There is a bit of a story behind the number - KLV 2345.

Until Doctor got his Benz, the only other "phoren" car in the Doctors' family or extended family was a 1949 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe with number KLT 1234. So the Doctor when he got his Benz - he wanted a smilar sequential number (in a good hearted rivalry with his uncle I suppose).

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:29   #1004
BHPian

Does anybody from tvm remember a plymouth which used to be there near pattom, it used to be a runner till some 2003/04. Exact location - a big white house which is demolished now, opp kpsc/kendriya vidyalaya. That place had an exide battery shop also untill the place was demolished.
Anybody know what happened to that car. It was a fintailed one.
Old 11th September 2013, 13:10   #1005
R.G
BHPian

Saw a KLQ registered deep maroon Austin Cambridge in Trivandrum . It was parked near an auto electrical mechanic shop.

I am not sure if this car is already discussed here. I will try to get a snap if anyone is interested
R.G is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed