Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2009, 22:48   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Hi Syed, Those are some really nice fotots you have there. Thanks for sharing them with us. Is it possible to get some more photos of the V8 Ford, including some of the interiors.

Thanks.
Yeah sure.Will get the pics soon and thanks Samir..
syedhafeez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2009, 03:29   #47
Senior - BHPian

So the cars were shifted there...they used to be in bombay and they have quite a few more ..
Old 11th March 2009, 18:59   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope this is a right thread to post this...

Here's a lovely, mint '52 Cadillac Fleetwood V8 (LHD) I was shown by fellow tbhpian stampro, at the local TVS dealership in Madurai, TN, when I'd visited last week. This car originally belonged to the company founder TV Sunderam Iyengar's family (I was told that it was used mainly by his son as TVS had passed away in 1955 itself) and I guess, was eventually donated to their Madurai dealership where it is put up on display.

A vintage collection-img_2528.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2530.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2535.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2523.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2524.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2525.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2537.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2526.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2527.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2531.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2520.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2536.jpg

A vintage collection-img_2522.jpg

I was told that the engine is still started periodically and the car still is mechanically fit, although it is not driven out anywhere, and remains standing at this spot always.
The regn. no. is a Madras one. But what amused me is that the plates have been re-painted according to the present law! I wonder why, considering that it is not driven out at all!

Also the rims appear to be hand-painted.

Note the twin exhaust pipes within the rear bumpers!

It would be interesting if anyone who knows the original history of this car could shed more light- the fact that it was imported could mean that either it was originally brought down by a foreigner/American and then sold on, or was imported personally by the TVS family.

There are a few more classics owned by the TVS group, present at another establishment of theirs in Madurai, mostly vintage Austins and a Fiat Topolino, but not permitted to take photos of those.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2009, 12:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Here's a lovely, mint '52 Cadillac Fleetwood V8 (LHD) I was shown by fellow tbhpian stampro, at the local TVS dealership in Madurai, TN, when I'd visited last week. This car originally belonged to the company founder TV Sunderam Iyengar's family (I was told that it was used mainly by his son as TVS had passed away in 1955 itself) and I guess, was eventually donated to their Madurai dealership where it is put up on display.
This Caddy is lying there since long, I saw in 1988. I used to visit madurai regularly at that time as my in-laws lived there.
I was told that TVS were dealers/subdealers for Caddy but they sold only few cars. This car is now almost permanently in this showroom.
I also had a chance to see their workshop, it was amazingly huge. Apart from the small cars mentioned, at that time they also had a Packard, it was probably a Clipper of 1949 or so.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:17   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This Caddy is lying there since long, I saw in 1988. I used to visit madurai regularly at that time as my in-laws lived there.
I was told that TVS were dealers/subdealers for Caddy but they sold only few cars. This car is now almost permanently in this showroom.
I also had a chance to see their workshop, it was amazingly huge. Apart from the small cars mentioned, at that time they also had a Packard, it was probably a Clipper of 1949 or so.
That's interesting info., Harit. I didn't know they sold Caddys as well. IMHO this car would've got far more fame had it remained in Madras even now though; considering that Madurai, as I was told, has not been known to conduct any vintage rallies etc so far.
Yes, there also is a workshop apart from transport services at their other facility. The packard was not there, when I'd been there. Also most of the small cars present there are of Madras regn., as is this Caddy.
Old 12th March 2009, 17:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Here's a lovely, mint '52 Cadillac Fleetwood V8 (LHD) at the local TVS dealership in Madurai, TN

Attachment 110526
HydroMatic Drive Transmission?

Hydro Electric Power Windows?

More news on this anybody?
Old 12th March 2009, 18:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hydramatic was an early GM automatic transmission.

How Hydro Electric Power Windows is something I never hear of.
Old 12th March 2009, 18:25   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hydramatic was an early GM automatic transmission.

How Hydro Electric Power Windows is something I never hear of.
Neither have I, but surely you have heard/know about the Hydraulic power windows; the mother of which was on the Mercedes 600 whose hydraulic power system worked every special loading - windows, seats, doors, partitions, bootlid and possibly the steering as well. Made some obscene amount of pressure, around 2175 PSI!!
Old 12th March 2009, 21:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Hydro Electric Power Windows?

More news on this anybody?
There was no such thing as a hydro Electric power window system but i think, i know what you mean Stampro.

It all started with the Vaccum assist power lifts for convertible tops in luxury cars.

What you are referring to is the full Hydrolectric package/system (name given to the package) which was offered as a package and included power assist windows, front seats and convertible top in Cadillac in the late 40's.

On the sedan they were a paid option in some Caddys and other GM cars and standard in a few top of the line models.

Last edited by V-16 : 12th March 2009 at 21:01.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
There was no such thing as a hydro Electric power window system but i think, i know what you mean Stampro.

What you are referring to is the full Hydrolectric package/system (name given to the package) which was offered as a package and included power assist windows, front seats and convertible top in Cadillac in the late 40's.

It has power windows switches on all four doors but it does not seem to be a package.No convertible top.

The switches could be electrically operating a hydraulic mechanism to move the window glass pane up and down.

And I thought a power window was a recent invention.
Old 1st June 2009, 00:09   #56
BHPian

Quote:
It has power windows switches on all four doors but it does not seem to be a package.No convertible top.

The switches could be electrically operating a hydraulic mechanism to move the window glass pane up and down.

Cadillac did have power steering and power windows. There was also a pillarless model and the rear glass used to tilt at an angle and go down. A 1956 model is at the museum in Dharmastala in Karnataka. McDowells also had one. Mohaan
Old 1st June 2009, 12:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Stampro my 52 caddilac has power windows, power seat and power top. My uncles 56 caddilac has the addition of power steering as well. They were options for the cars at that time, more like a power assist package .
Old 1st June 2009, 15:48   #58
BHPian

The 1947 Lincoln Continental Convertible had a power top and power windows ( electrical) as standard equipment.
Old 1st June 2009, 22:07   #59
BHPian

Beauty on wheels

Hey guys,

I too love cars and have my own automobile setup but,I don't know much about vintage cars and their history. My hobby is to rescue snakes and leave them in the wild.Recently when I had gone to rescue a snake I found these beauties parked in the basement. There are a lot more vehicles parked in the backyard. when I asked people as to who own's these, I got to know of a guy who stays in the same building who restores these beauties. I am posting a few pictures. can you guys enlighten me as to which vehicles are these and which era they belong to ??
Attached Thumbnails
A vintage collection-27022009124.jpg  

A vintage collection-27022009125.jpg  

A vintage collection-27022009126.jpg  

A vintage collection-27022009130.jpg  

A vintage collection-27022009132.jpg  

A vintage collection-27022009133.jpg  

A vintage collection-27022009135.jpg  

A vintage collection-27022009136.jpg  

A vintage collection-27022009137.jpg  

hvishwanathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:40   #60