Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2008, 13:34   #1
BHPian

The Himalaya Trial 2008 - A Classic Rally from Holland to Bhutan!

Was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of an amazing cross country rally recently: The Himalaya Trial 2008. This was a classic car rally consisting of cars manufactured before 1973.

The rally started from Valkenburg in Holland..all the way to Thimpu in Bhutan and then finally to Kolkata!! The event is still running and is currently in Bhutan.

Thought I'd share some pictures with you all of these amazing beauties competing on some of the roughest roads, half-across the globe.. hope you enjoy them !

The Route, pasted on a Merc Official Van running along with the event

All the places along the route that the Trial will be crossing, pasted on the door of a Mercedes 300 SE

Two feline Jag beauties together (XK 150)..what a mouthwatering sight...

Two more sisters in red... the Volvo 123 GT works team twins..fresh after a shower

An Austin A110 Westminster

A Jaguar MK II..in lovely green and white

Now that's called a hood ornament...!

The Mercedes 280 SL shining after a wash

A Peugeot 404

A Citroen DS, driven by Petra Hatenboer

The Volvo PV 544 S, breathing a sigh of relief..after attempting the Wildflower Hall hill climb!

The cynosure of all eyes.. a 1937 BMW 328 Roadster. As beautiful as one ever made

A Porsche 911 S

The Ford Mustang.. in fetching orange!

Now for the oldest and most fascinating car in the event.. A 1928 Bentley Speed Six driven by Angel Kersten

What was under the hood was even more fascinating..

Closer look at the steering and all it's controls

A beauty past compare

And the car currently leading the event, a Citroen DS 21 driven by Jaap van dem Broek

Been there...done that!

Note from Team-BHP Support : Great pics, but please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th November 2008 at 01:13. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 22nd November 2008, 13:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

According to the map 7-8th November were rest day for them. Did you take these pictures that time?
Old 22nd November 2008, 15:32   #3
BHPian

Yes Rudra, the had a rest day at Wildflower Hall, an Oberoi Resort in Shimla. These pictures were taken then.

In fact, we also organized a small hill-climb for the cars up the private drive of the resort on the 7th, was super fun!
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:37   #4
BHPian

Really good pictures and some very good cars. It is really commedable that they have driven all the way from Holland and going upto Bhutan. Most of our Classic Rallies are mostly within India and that too short distances. We need to get inspired by these guys and organize longer and better rallies. Any idea who has organized this rally and are there any Indian Motoring Agency or Club involved in this rally ?

S.B.Jatti.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:39   #5

OHH!!! NO WONDER!!! I thought some cross country event was on!!

See these Pictures. Shot between Chandigarh and Delhi.

Attached Images
Old 25th November 2008, 00:06   #6
BHPian

@ S.B. Jatti, the rally was organised by Classic Events, a Dutch company that regularly organises such events, once a year in Holland and once every alternate year internationally. Northern Motorsport in Delhi was providing support to the event for the first half of it's run in India.

@ Cyrus43.. hehe, now that's a coincidence...you captured the Merc 280 SL mate, amazing that a Bombay Boy caught this on the Chandi-Delhi road
Old 25th November 2008, 11:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous cars and a great event. I was informed of this but the guy who told me got most of the information wrong. I wonder when will we learn and have events like this. The closest we were going to get was The Great Indo Pak Rally. This also never happened but all the backend work was done for it. My brother and two friends even went for the route survey.
Old 25th November 2008, 16:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Abhishek (speedy) - please get one event organised in India only - Mumbai - Chennai - Nagpur - Kolkata - Simla - Delhi - Rajasthan - Mumbai. Go on good roads, no sense in breaking the cars. I will be the first one to take part in my 67 Fiat which is becoming new (see the MRF6466 restoration thread).

By the way - I AM SERIOUS!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th November 2008, 22:51   #9
Team-BHP Support

Manoj Biswas,

Super pictures!! Its always great to see unusual cars in unusual surroundings. I bet these guys have some great pics, especially that Bentley Speed Six really being driven!

Where are all the people in the pictures? DID YOU POINT THEM TOWARDS TEAM-BHP ?

cya
R
Old 26th November 2008, 00:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Manoj Biswas, great pictures. you have made me hungry for more.
btw, the westminister, the Peugeot 404 & the mustang are super-awesome.
Old 26th November 2008, 03:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Fabulous cars and a great event. I was informed of this but the guy who told me got most of the information wrong. I wonder when will we learn and have events like this. The closest we were going to get was The Great Indo Pak Rally. This also never happened but all the backend work was done for it. My brother and two friends even went for the route survey.
wasn't there one that went from India to Burma on road. Not vintages though
Old 26th November 2008, 11:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

we will not see this car's in mumbai?
Old 26th November 2008, 12:15   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

nope...they entered from Amritsar and went into Nepal and thence to Bhutan. Exit from Kolkata. Manoj was the lukiest as they stayed at beautiful property at Wild Flower Hall for two days. And he is there 24x7 (speaking figuratively)

Last edited by sudev : 26th November 2008 at 12:16.
Old 26th November 2008, 13:17   #14
BHPian

This is a priceless collection, and very fortunate to see them in actual action, not like a demo car.
Old 29th November 2008, 15:48   #15
BHPian

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Exit from Kolkata. Manoj was the lukiest as they stayed at beautiful property at Wild Flower Hall for two days. And he is there 24x7 (speaking figuratively)
LOL Sudev . You hit the bulls-eye! Am actually here 24x7, literally!

But at least one saving grace for every hotelier like me is that the gates of Hell will remain forever closed for us, as we have already been there!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks