Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 21:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

A Vintage lover's take on Retro Cars.

This seems to be the decade of retro cars. The movement started with the Beetle and PT Cruiser and has taken off from there. It seems logical that a vintage car lover should naturally gravitate towards these vehicles as they try to capture the spirit and the design language from a bygone era.

Cars that come into mind are New Beetle, PT Cruiser, Chevy HHR, Mustang, Challenger, Fiat 500, Mini, Camaro. Note the 500 is and the Beetle might be sold in India.

Seems to be a uniquely American thing for the time being with most of the interest and sales happening in the states except for the 500 and Mini. These cars are so well loved that the Beetle and the PT continue to sell beyond their typical 4-year life cycle.

What is your take on this new niche segment as a vintage lover?

Chevy HHR
Attached Thumbnails
A Vintage lover's take on Retro Cars.-hhr2.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 6th December 2008 at 02:16.
Old 5th December 2008, 22:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

you forgot the first entrant into the niche, the zen classic!

it didnt do well. I think these cars might suffer the same fate. Personally I love good looking retro cars ( PT cruiser is not a good looker in my book)
Old 5th December 2008, 23:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The only retro car I'm keen to (at the most for now) have a dekho at is the new VW microbus, based on the early splitscreen ones.
Old 6th December 2008, 00:08   #4

what about the Fiat 500?? I luuuuvvv the 500!! Also, the one car that i think should be brought back is the Ferrari Daytona!!
Old 6th December 2008, 00:47   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to mention that the affordable vintage car was replaced by the un-affordable retro car. Example - Fiat 500, VW Beetle, Mini etc etc.
Old 6th December 2008, 18:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Not to mention that the affordable vintage car was replaced by the un-affordable retro car. Example - Fiat 500, VW Beetle, Mini etc etc.
Spot on, v12!

Although these retro cars look like their ancestors, none of them have the soul of the original. Their original versions were people's cars offering practicality and mass mobility whereas newer ones are more or less rich boy's toys more than anything else.

One of the only true-blue retro cars in today's world are the Mahindra Jeeps and the Ambys :P
Old 9th December 2008, 09:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
One of the only true-blue retro cars in today's world are the Mahindra Jeeps and the Ambys :P
fully with you for ambys.
Old 10th December 2008, 00:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

I love retro cars for the simple reason that they keep the spirit of the original alive, while providing modern comforts like driveability. My favourite is of course the Fiat 500.
And I'm waiting for the day when Fiat will launch the retro Millecento !!
Old 10th December 2008, 03:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Guys! What's up? only 7 replies so far? Should have started in the main section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
you forgot the first entrant into the niche, the zen classic!

it didnt do well. I think these cars might suffer the same fate. Personally I love good looking retro cars ( PT cruiser is not a good looker in my book)
Yes, the Zen Classic was a disaster. It was a half baked effort, not even a retro car if you ask me...you could say it was a retro body kit on a regular car. These kits are popular in Japan but to bring it here was a huge judgement error by Maruti.
There are other good kts by Mitsuoka....will post later. I liked the Type1 PT.....they butchered the type2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The only retro car I'm keen to (at the most for now) have a dekho at is the new VW microbus
It did the auto show circuit for many years and finally disappered. I think the program is cancelled now. Would have been good to see that on the roads but it would'nt be a rear engine and it would'nt be a split screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
V12, the Mini is the only one that is outrageoursly priced. The others are not so bad. Keep in mind it is appealing to a different audience this time around. Back then it was bare bones transportation but now the same people are much older and well settled in life buying it for nostalgia sake and demand a few basic luxuries. I think the Fiat 500 is right on target. The Beetle was designed for US tastes and therefore has been a royal flop in Europe where people find it too big. But then again the 500 is waay too small to work in the US. Both Beetle and PT are selling really strong in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
One of the only true-blue retro cars in today's world are the Mahindra Jeeps and the Ambys
I'm not sure we can categorise the Amby, Mahindra as retro. These are old cars that are trying to be new and modern. The Avigo is a disaster if you ask me. Neither here nor there. Bolero is another disaster. Their customers are not buying them because they are retro.

Classic...well yes but not the new one that replaced it.
The Bullet is a rare exception but that's a topic for another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
And I'm waiting for the day when Fiat will launch the retro Millecento
+1. That would rock. But if they build it on a FWD platform they cannot maintain the same proportions as the original.

Last edited by Mpower : 10th December 2008 at 03:45.
Old 14th December 2008, 21:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Figaro..one of the very first modern day retros. Came out in '89 and instantly became a superhit before the bubble burst in Japan.
Attached Thumbnails
A Vintage lover's take on Retro Cars.-nissan_figaro_front.jpg  

Old 14th December 2008, 22:54   #11
BANNED

Retro--These cars belong neither in classic's or latest. For me these cars are no good. Let old classics and vintages remain as it is.

Its better our car manufacturer's improve the designs on present day cars, than spoiling them in the name of retro. Fiat-500 for the matter, is never near to its old sibling. Nor the new Beetle can ever give out its Classic Beetles charm.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mpower, I love the looks of the figaro. Lovely wheels !! Just couldn't remember the name.. age I guess. I guess I'm a bit retro myself .
Old 16th December 2008, 12:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nissan Figaro..one of the very first modern day retros. Came out in '89 and instantly became a superhit before the bubble burst in Japan.
Ahh... never new the origin of it. Have seen one of these doing daily run while going to office in UK for almost 3 years. I believe it still is in daily use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks