Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2013, 13:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes Benz W123

A fact I didnt know and many thanks to Ajmat for clarifying. Had no idea the 'leg brake' was only on the LHD cars. Since my dads was a LHD, we had the afore mentioned system.

Jeroen - Great picture mate! The stuttgart museum is a great place, i reckon you need atleast two days to check out every exhibit. My favourite rooms were the WWII relics which also had a lot of texts on Mercedes involvement in the war. The second best room had to be towards the basement where all the motorsport related exhibits were displayed. Looking at Fangio and Moss's car was the most satisfying thing I have done to date. If you do go in the W123, they are likely to let you drive straight into the museum.

My visit to stuttgart was after a even more satisfying visit to Nordschleife where I went to watch the 2007 German GP at the Nurburgring. At the time, Porsche were about to complete their museum in Stuttgart which was very close to the Mercedes museum. I wonder if that ever got ready.
Old 14th February 2013, 13:30   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
My visit to stuttgart was after a even more satisfying visit to Nordschleife where I went to watch the 2007 German GP at the Nurburgring. .
Ah, the NuernbergRing / Nordschliefe. Now there is another hugely interesting place. For many years the Dutch Alfa Romeo Spider Register used to visit what was known as Classic Grand Prix. Great event. Many of the visitors to this event take their classic cars to this event. So on all the major roads there are litterally hundreds of classic cars making their way to the circuit. There are more classic cars parked outside the circuit then inside.

We used to camp on the campingsite adjacent to the circuit. Usually around 15 - 20 Spiders. Built a campfire, eat Schnitzel, drink German beer and in the morning you would just stroll to the circuit to watch the races, look at the cars on display. The Pits were open to the public as well and you could stroll around these classic cars whilst they were being worked on.

And of course, you could and still can, take your own car for a blast on the the old Nuernberg circuit, Nordschleife.

See: http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/ueberu...dschleife.html

I took my Spider (the red one in the picture) onto the Nordschleife once. Thought it would be fun. In fact I was glad to get out of it again. I would like to consider myself a pretty competent driver and I have driven some rallys and did several enhanced driving courses. But on this drive I must have been the slowest car on the circuit by a very large margin. There were BMW,s Ferrari, GTI's etc etc that were so much faster. And the motor bikes which are really unbelievable. They were overtaking left, right and centre. Essentially, with my little Spider I was just in everybodies way big time.

Once you enter the circuit, you have to do the full loop before you can get off again, all 23 kilometers of it. Not a happy memory, especially as I also had my eldest son onboard, around 12 years old at the time. he thought it was pretty cool having all these cars blasting by.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 12:21   #78
BHPian

A clean one for W123 fans. Have driven it. Superb condition. Details in the ad.

Was just telling @Canonball that for once the pictures don't do justice to the car, instead of the other way around.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../E-Class.html/
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:22   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
A clean one for W123 fans. Have driven it. Superb condition. Details in the ad.

Was just telling @Canonball that for once the pictures don't do justice to the car, instead of the other way around.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../E-Class.html/
Seems like the car is already sold.
Looking at all these threads on W123 are making me fall in love with them.
Feel like buying it. There is on more on TBHP classified.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...enz/W123.html/

The owner is one of our forum member.
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:38   #80
BHPian

If your heart is set on a W123, just go for it. The good ones will disappear soon and the prices will firm up. All the best.
Old 4th April 2013, 15:28   #81
Senior - BHPian

Saw a beautiful dark blue W123 getting out of bangalore city limits last weekend. Was on a drive to chennai when she drove up alongside me in the next toll booth. A big thumbs up to the two big guys in the front seat. Was in immaculate condition.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:43   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Saw a beautiful dark blue W123 getting out of Bangalore city limits last weekend. Was on a drive to Chennai when she drove up alongside me in the next toll booth. A big thumbs up to the two big guys in the front seat. Was in immaculate condition.
Hi Thanks a lot !!!! It was me in the Driver's seat and I did wave back to you.
Truly appreciate your comment.
Its a 1983 W 123 300D
harshad9493 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 11:39   #83
Senior - BHPian

A beautiful ride Harshad. Very nice of you to wave back. I knew I had met a fellow enthusiast. Please do post some pictures.

Is the paintjob an original factory color or have you changed it?
Old 15th April 2013, 13:46   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecar View Post
Seems like the car is already sold.
Looking at all these threads on W123 are making me fall in love with them.
Feel like buying it. There is on more on TBHP classified.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...enz/W123.html/

The owner is one of our forum member.
Yes Musclear...my car found a new home. Best of luck with your hunt...don't hesitate to connect if you need any help or tips...always excited to help fellow enthusiasts and ensure hey avoid getting conned. Believe in good karma as I was protected for the same by dear friends and well wishers so would like to pass it on!!

There are several cars for sale online and offline, they all need work so I would really calculate cost of work and resto to arrive at a purchase price. Some cars look ok from out side but perhaps need mechanical work, so it would help to put in good effort in inspecting the car and understanding what needs to be done as I did. Moral of my story, if you build a good genuine car, spend top dollar on perfecting it, unlike some thuk patti jobs done by some collectors and or folks who want top dollar for their junks, you will not loose your money as I found out when selling my car. Genuinely good cars inside out (read not just seemingly good looking car) fetch the top prices every Tom, dick and Harry quotes his at, the trick is differentiating the want to be's from the real macqouy

Last edited by canonball : 15th April 2013 at 13:47.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:41   #85
BHPian

Quote:
A beautiful ride Harshad. Very nice of you to wave back. I knew I had met a fellow enthusiast. Please do post some pictures.

Is the paint job an original factory color or have you changed it?
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your compliments.
The paint is the original" Labrador Blue" Color Code 312 and it was never repainted.
Only I gave it a another two coats, just to keep it original. The paint is from Dupont.
Thank Yo once again.
Harshad
Old 17th December 2013, 00:54   #86
BHPian

Are the spare parts available for W123 240D? im a total noob trying to buy one.. where to check for spare parts in south india? Im from kerala. is the engine same as the traveller one?
Old 17th December 2013, 21:15   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
Are the spare parts available for W123 240D? im a total noob trying to buy one.. where to check for spare parts in south india? Im from kerala. is the engine same as the traveller one?
Mechanical parts are available for the large part, and so are most decorative/aesthetic ones as well. Most are reasonable, some expensive, and a few not in production anymore. The upside is several parts are still available with breakers in chore bazar etc, but a lot of trial and error is involved.

The traveller engine is NOT the same as commonly perceived, claimed or assumed by 99% of folks who think they are car guys, its just hear say. Fact of the matter is the traveller engine is a commercial application with long stroke for high torque output. The entire top end is completely different in terms of injection setup, pump, head, and tappets etc. Also the block and pistons have variations. Please note not a single part not even the glow plugs are the same. It is a complete different architecture!!

if you PM me your email id i will point you to a resource which can help
canonball is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 13:58   #88
BHPian

Hi aruncheloor,
Don't try to put parts of a traveler as this engine was modified.
Ues- You can get genuine 240 D parts from City Motors Mumbai over phone calls and if needed to send the sample to them. Click on this link: http://www.justdial.com/Mumbai/city-...se/022PK020953
Old 10th January 2014, 13:23   #89
BHPian

Some really great cars here. I wonder of any of these are on sale? Could any of the members help me if they know of some good w123s on sale? Please PM me and I will share my contact details.

Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 16:08   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
Could any of the members help me if they know of some good w123s on sale?
You can set up an Auto-Notification for W123s on the Classifieds. Read how here.

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks