Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 20:24   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
sir these are available in most car accessories shops in bangalore
Yes they may be now.
I'd got this 5 years ago, and besides, I was living in Singapore then.

PS: Could you let me know how much a bottle of this costs there?
Old 20th December 2008, 19:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I remember, a Herald expert had once told me that lower octane could result in a noisier engine?
Well, AFAIK, adding 2T oil in 4stroke petrol tanks had a smoothening effect on the engine noticable within the first 2 kms. But, they are told to reduce the octane rating as well as block modern cat convertors.

I've not tried it on modern cars but i have in older M800s and Ambassadors!
Old 20th December 2008, 20:32   #18
BHPian

Anand Automotive Systems Ltd. who are the importers and distributors for "STP"- had imported a lead substitute made by "STP" and it was available in Delhi. Probably they still have some stocks or if approached they may arrange to supply the lead substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
We know that the lead content in petrol in the earlier days, was harmful and was known to cause neurological problems for all especially children, when the leaded petrol exhaust, emitted by motor vehicles was inhaled.
But this lead content was the saviour for the older engine's inlet valves, that used to get some cushioning. Now the deleterious environmental impacts of lead have been eliminated by the discontinuance of leaded petrol.
In western countries, an additive for petrol is available in one or half litre cans. Sadly in India this is not availiable. Owners of old cars based on the older (side valve/ overhead valve) technology are missing this product in our markets. Valve seat recession is a common related problem in such cases, where neither leaded petrol nor the additive is used.
The Castrol branded Valvoline is extensively used in the U.K. for older cars as an additive. When I enquired with an official of Castrol, he quipped that if there is a demand we will surely introduce the product in India. I also contacted Castrol through their website.They have been acknowledged that they will conduct a market survey and introduce the product 'Valvoline', that is marketed in the U.K. and other western markets, if there is a good demand.

In an earlier query I got some well-meaning replies from friends which are reproduced here:

(1)Since I also have a petrol Jonga, I keep my ancient inline 6 alive with 1% mix of synthetic 2 stroke oil. Actually old engines can take unleaded easily except for their soft valve seats. If that can be replaced with hardened seats, the problem is all but solved.

(2)The ash less synthetic 2T like Castrol JetX is perfectly fine to use in a 1% mixture with petrol, this way the plugs don't foul and neither does carbon build up on the head and your valve seats stay intact.
Would like to hear from friends about it here.
Old 20th December 2008, 21:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

So is the general consensus to the effect that adding 2T oil in minute quantities will help set off the effect of unleaded fuel? I've been wondering what to do !
Old 20th December 2008, 23:09   #20
BHPian

The best option is to use a standard Lead Substitute as it does not add to carbon deposits nor is there a chance of fouling the spark plugs. In case you are not able to source the Lead Subsititute then probably 2T oil in small quantities is the only alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
So is the general consensus to the effect that adding 2T oil in minute quantities will help set off the effect of unleaded fuel? I've been wondering what to do !
Old 21st December 2008, 20:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Jatti for the information. Where in Delhi is Anand Automotive Systems located? I am using 2T oil presently, till I go to Delhi and get the substitute to keep the old jalopy fit and healthy.
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
2T oil addition is only in vehicles that do NOT have a catalytic convertor!

We may not get that due to environment concerns!

No Octane boosters increase the Octane rating and the 2T oil decrease the Octane rating!
may be , but i was just talking abt using the octane booster, for the presence of lead in it , and then the idea of using 2t oil was also given, so the discussion is abt that and not which reduces or increases octane levels
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
may be , but i was just talking abt using the octane booster, for the presence of lead in it ,
Sir, I wonder whether Octane Booster[s] have lead in them. Please educate!

Quote:
i think this lead additive is called tetra ethyl lead or TEL, which also is an anti knock additive , this compund is also found in octane boosters such as those made by STP AND NOS
Or were you referring to TEL used in STP and ,,

I would appreciate more information on the same! Thanks
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I wonder whether Octane Booster[s] have lead in them. Please educate!

Or were you referring to TEL used in STP and ,,

I would appreciate more information on the same! Thanks
dear sir , when i said "lead" it generally refers to TEL( or may be a modified form of the same) , octane boosters very much do contain lead , but off late due to to environmental concerns and damage to catalytic convertors alternatives are being used/tested/explored such as toulene ,TAME, etc.

some octane boosters which specifically contain lead carry a warning on the container to warn the user.

also use of octane boosted fuels allows engines to run higher compression ratios and the other way round, i.e competition/race engines which run on higher compression ratios require these boosted fuels for faster and better combustion , but higher compression ratios increase chances of engine knocking , and it is common knowledge that TEL is an anti knock additive .so it is added to octane boosters.

but as we are talking abt older enigines which are designed to run on leaded fuel , this can be used .

ps : so all octane boosters need not contain lead , but you cannot generalize that octane boosters do not contain lead.

Last edited by siddartha : 22nd December 2008 at 17:14.
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sir, I dont know much about octane boosters, but I do know that using the 2T oil even a 50ml mix with 50 litres of petrol smoothens the engine, but technically lowers your octane rating!
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I dont know much about octane boosters, but I do know that using the 2T oil even a 50ml mix with 50 litres of petrol smoothens the engine, but technically lowers your octane rating!
sir ,, u asked for information and clarification and i gave it.
adding 2T oil may make ur engine smooth , but that isnt the discussion.
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:31   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
using the 2T oil...lowers your octane rating!
On our oldies that shouldn't be cause for worry as they generally are low compression engines.
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:19   #28
BHPian

I had contacted "STP" regarding the Lead Substitute they were marketing in Delhi through Anand Auomotive Systems Ltd. Unfortunately they have discontinued marketing the product. Reproduced hereunder is an email from "STP"

Reference Number: 5596844
Dear Mr. Jatti,
Thank you for contacting us.
Unfortunately, STP Lead Substitute is no longer available. Although a great number of consumers enjoyed it as you did, the sales volume was not substantial enough to warrant our continuing to market this product.
Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper
Consumer Response Representative
Consumer Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks Jatti for the information. Where in Delhi is Anand Automotive Systems located? I am using 2T oil presently, till I go to Delhi and get the substitute to keep the old jalopy fit and healthy.
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:16   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
I had contacted "STP" regarding the Lead Substitute they were marketing in Delhi through Anand Auomotive Systems Ltd. Unfortunately they have discontinued marketing the product. Reproduced hereunder is an email from "STP"

Reference Number: 5596844
Dear Mr. Jatti,
Thank you for contacting us.
Unfortunately, STP Lead Substitute is no longer available. Although a great number of consumers enjoyed it as you did, the sales volume was not substantial enough to warrant our continuing to market this product.
Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper
Consumer Response Representative
Consumer Services
Thats unfortunate Jatti. Thanks for the information, however.
Old 27th December 2008, 22:40   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Some facts about the Castrol Valvemaster (not Valvoline as wrongly quoted here by me earlier)-
The company is always saying that they are doing a market survey to assess demand for this product. in fact, I have again mailed them today to know the latest developments about Valvemaster in India.

Lead Replacement Fuel Additive marketed in the U.K.

DESCRIPTION
Castrol Valvemaster is a lead replacement petrol additive which offers the best protection after lead is removed from fuel . Castrol Valvemaster will protect your vehicle from valve seat recession ( in an unleaded world).
APPLICATION:Castrol Valvemaster is suitable for pre-1992 vehicles which possess soft valve seats requiring protection against valve seat recession. 250 ml will treat 250 litres of unleaded fuel.
Features: Advanced technology additive
Benefits: Ultimate protection against valve seat recession
Protects under all driving conditions

Keeps fuel system clean providing excellent corrosion protection
Appearance: pale to yellow colourless liquid
Viscosity @ 40 degrees Celsius: 4.9
Phosphorus % wt: 2.5
The above figures are typical of those obtained with normal production tolerance and do not constitute a specification.; The above figures are typical of those obtained with normal production tolerance and do not constitute a specification.
Castrol Valvemaster is compatible with most other commonly used fuel additives, but must NOT be used with sodium additives.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th December 2008 at 22:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks