Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2008, 22:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

i find it a bit strange, and surprised - that after you guys go to the ends of the earth to find original parts for your old beauties, for the engine , you end up using such jugaad
Old 10th January 2009, 19:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Two references of lead substitutes from The Automobile, UK, Nov and Dec 1999 issues.
Unleaded Petrol in Vintage and Classic Cars?-sonycamv-2186.jpg

Unleaded Petrol in Vintage and Classic Cars?-sonycamv-2187.jpg
Old 3rd March 2011, 20:21   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unleaded Petrol in Vintage and Classic Cars?

Again reviving this thread for more debate on this important matter:
Unleaded Petrol in Vintage and Classic Cars?-scan0034.jpg
Source:The Automobile,UK, Dec 1999

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd March 2011 at 20:23.
Old 26th October 2011, 20:57   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

A bit off-topic but some useful information about petrol tanks and the fuel therein stored for a long period of time in our old beauties:
Article (extract) by Bob Milton in Quality First (MCOC, UK) Journal October 2011
[quote]
Oxford Troubles
Firstly, the engine developed a habit of "petering out"for no obvious reason when I got it home (usually by tow). I would make the usual checks...points... fuel pump....carburettor etc. but could find no obvious fault.Whereupon I restart the engine and it runs fine until the next time it decides to fail. Pondering on this, a thought struck me.The fuel gauge had never worked and consequently I keep the fuel tank well topped up.It occurred to me that, with low mileage petrol usage, the majority of fuel in the tank might be at least 10 years old, probably a bit suspect. Anyway, I eventually took the bull by the horns and drained the tank completely. This allowed a status check on the suction line tank filter. This turned out to be somewhat "mucky" so that was duly cleaned. Following the line backwards I also discovered that the fuel pump filter was also in need of the same treatment. Whilst there, the pump contact points were also checked....O.K. Now I thought, lets get the fuel sender unit out and have a look. Sure enough it was totally seized up, but with some gentle persuasion and some WD 40 it was soon in working order. The upshot of this was that now, the gauge works well- and with fresh 4 gallons of petrol the engine runs fine again.[unquote]
Editor Derek Andrews note:
[quote]
It is useful to note that the fuel will deteriorate over time.Recommendations seem to be in the order of 3 to 4 weeks. This can be noticed by (1) smell (2) engine performance (3) fuel colour. Advice tells us that over that period there is a loss of fuel components such as butane.. which leaves the fuel less volatile. Consequently,a greater percentage deposit of carbon can occur on spark plugs and in the cylinder "firing space." However these things can be negated if fresh fuel is added on a regular basis, thus "freshening up" the fuel tank. Another idea is to go on a long run every so often in order to use up older fuel. A week end tour might be just the ticket, for more than one reason. So basically if your car has been stored for a long time then it is a good idea to replace the old fuel (disposing of it in a responsible manner of course).On a safety point of view though "sniffing" fuel is not to be overly indulged in for obvious reasons.[unquote]

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th October 2011 at 21:01.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 23:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007
A bit off-topic but some useful information about petrol tanks and the fuel therein stored for a long period of time in our old beauties:
Article (extract) by Bob Milton in Quality First (MCOC, UK) Journal October 2011
Just use 100 ml 2 t with every five litres works well
Old 26th October 2011, 23:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Just use 100 ml 2 t with every five litres works well
That is too much; better to use lesser. Because 20 ml per liter was the recommended 2T oil required for Vijay and Lamby scooters for lubrication.

Other than a preservative as mentioned, there used to be an oil termed Upper Cylinder Oil during the days of the good old Ambys and Fiats. Used immediately after engine overhauls to have a lubricating effect on valves and valve seating on the cylinder head.
Old 26th October 2011, 23:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k
That is too much; better to use lesser. Because 20 ml per liter was the recommended 2T oil required for Vijay and Lamby scooters for lubrication.

Other than a preservative as mentioned, there used to be an oil termed Upper Cylinder Oil during the days of the good old Ambys and Fiats. Used immediately after engine overhauls to have a lubricating effect on valves and valve seating on the cylinder head.
My reference is to a car. I don't know he scooter and back bit. It's working for all my American cars , German cars etc
Old 27th October 2011, 06:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is useful to note that the fuel will deteriorate over time.Recommendations seem to be in the order of 3 to 4 weeks. ... Another idea is to go on a long run every so often in order to use up older fuel. ..So basically if your car has been stored for a long time then it is a good idea to replace the old fuel (disposing of it in a responsible manner of course)
Very very true - If storing vehicles, it is good to leave a little fuel in the tank say around 2 to 5 litres - This will force one to tank up before the drive and help clean the system.

I've personally faced this issue some years back!
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:19   #39
BHPian

The Nissan engine on my 118 succumbed to this new unleaded fuel
I have been noticing blue smoke on startups and when revved hard. Planning to replace the valves and seals next month.

My one question on mixing of 2T oil, is the ratio - 1% would be 100ml to 10 liters of Petrol! Wont that be too much?

Secondly, do I then need to continue filling up with V-power/Power Petrol etc. or using regular fuel would be ok?
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
The Nissan engine on my 118 succumbed to this new unleaded fuel
I have been noticing blue smoke on startups and when revved hard. Planning to replace the valves and seals next month.

My one question on mixing of 2T oil, is the ratio - 1% would be 100ml to 10 liters of Petrol! Wont that be too much?

Secondly, do I then need to continue filling up with V-power/Power Petrol etc. or using regular fuel would be ok?
This is a point of concern. I have a fellow members 72' 1100D which I am using and never thought of this. I filled from Shell the last couple of times and I have been adding the System G additive since the last few refills as well.
Did not notice anything amiss till now, except that the power has dropped a bit, but that I felt is because I had tuned the carb recently. Will keep a watch and hopefully nothing is damaged because of the BS6 fuel.
Old 24th December 2020, 15:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Will keep a watch and hopefully nothing is damaged because of the BS6 fuel.
I do not think this is caused just because of BS6 Petrol - The reason being my car has not been driven much since the introduction of new fuel in April this year.
This, I believe, is since year 2000 when unleaded fuel was introduced. All these years of usage is now showing up. Although symptoms started since last 3-4 years but now becoming noticeable.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed