Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 01:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

After going through this thread,i realised Renault has its Vintage presence in India too.Thats an eye opener for me.
Old 27th July 2009, 01:27   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
After going through this thread,i realised Renault has its Vintage presence in India too.Thats an eye opener for me.
Incidentally, NIN at Tarnaka, where my parents had worked earlier, had a R4 (old santro-like shape) in the 60s/early 70s- the then Director had it brought for his exclusive use. After he got transferred on promotion and left around mid 70s, the Renault was replaced by an Amby (as expected! ) as the director's car.

I also read once that Renault had nearly succeeded in bringing the rear-engined Dauphine to India in the early 60s by collaboration with an Indian auto co. (Mahindra I think) but due to some bureaucratic bottleneck, the deal never went through!
Old 27th July 2009, 01:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Shyam..Thanks for sharing the Renault Hyd insight.I remember the Dauphine coming into India.
One pic on this thread shows a scrapped renault..wonder where it is in Hyd?
Old 27th July 2009, 02:06   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shyam..Thanks for sharing the Renault Hyd insight.I remember the Dauphine coming into India.
One pic on this thread shows a scrapped renault..wonder where it is in Hyd?
Scrapped one? You mean the blue caravelle? That isn't scrapped, it's aprt of a persona lcollection in Jubilee Hills. The owner also onws a Citroen DS that also appeared for one of the DHAA shows in 2007.
Old 27th July 2009, 09:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

There was a Caravelle Convertible for sale in Goa about a year ago, does any one know about this car?
Old 27th July 2009, 21:36   #36
BHPian

is it yellow colour if its the same it belongs to an friend
Old 27th July 2009, 21:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
is it yellow colour if its the same it belongs to an friend
I think it was yellow never saw any pictures, there were some middleman and they were quoting unreasonable prices.
Old 27th July 2009, 22:56   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Marc,

In addition to the one's on this thread, A Juvaquattre is garaged in a place a few hrs from Kolkata. Here are the pics:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1326236

Maybe you would also like to tell us what makes this particular car so interesting. Share some tech specs and trivia with us.
Thank you for theses pictures
the third Juvaquatre found in India
I'm very surprised about that

I'm the webmaster of The juvaquatre Renault Home Page
at www.juvaquatre.fr several pages are in English

You know when you got passion for something you want to know more and more about.

The Renault Juvaquatre (Juva (latin word) is "youth" quatre is "four" "4" because 4 cylinders)
1937 advert said the "Juvaquatre la voiture de la jeunesse"
"Juvaquatre the car for the younth."

This Renault is the first Renault with the fram completly fixed to the body
(impossible to separate)
its also the first Renault at the end of 1939 equiped with hydraulique braking.

and it is the only one Renault built before WW2 with Louis Renault and continued after by RNUR.

Theses cars was made in Boulogne Billancourt factory ( near to Paris)
but several cars with specific designation was built in Renault Acton factory (near to London) and Became Renault eight! for this market.
These production was received in the factory in CKD (completly knocked down) and I think India's Juvaquatre must becam from Acton.

This English production must have different Dashboard but I'm not sure of that.

I do not have India's Juvaquatre in my census for that I need to know at least one number (diamond plate or oval plate see Fiche de renseignement pour recensement Renault Juvaquatre )

thank you for your help

Marc
Old 28th July 2009, 00:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Renaults were present in India almost since inception of motoring in India. The earliest Renaults are seen near Mangalore, Calcutta and the second Calcutta car travelled to Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I also read once that Renault had nearly succeeded in bringing the rear-engined Dauphine to India in the early 60s by collaboration with an Indian auto co. (Mahindra I think) but due to some bureaucratic bottleneck, the deal never went through!
There was no bureaucratic bottleneck, it was Birla's hold over the Govt. to deny permissions to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
There was a Caravelle Convertible for sale in Goa about a year ago, does any one know about this car?
Was this the same convertible Caravelle which was lying for many years on the Bandh and could not be done for some reason or the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juva marc View Post
You know when you got passion for something you want to know more and more about.

Theses cars was made in Boulogne Billancourt factory ( near to Paris)
but several cars with specific designation was built in Renault Acton factory (near to London) and Became Renault eight! for this market.
These production was received in the factory in CKD (completly knocked down) and I think India's Juvaquatre must becam from Acton.

This English production must have different Dashboard but I'm not sure of that.

I do not have India's Juvaquatre in my census for that I need to know at least one number (diamond plate or oval plate see Fiche de renseignement pour recensement Renault Juvaquatre )

thank you for your help Marc
Well, there are atleast 8 of these cars in India. Will try to get info on 2 lying near my friend town.
Can you please clarify if any of the cars made in Boulogne Billancourt factory were also right hand drive? In India we find both Citroen Traction Avant's, built in France and UK.

Cheers harit
Old 30th July 2009, 22:49   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Well, there are atleast 8 of these cars in India. Will try to get info on 2 lying near my friend town.
Can you please clarify if any of the cars made in Boulogne Billancourt factory were also right hand drive? In India we find both Citroen Traction Avant's, built in France and UK.

Cheers harit
Yes some car made in Billancourt are with right hand drive with the French designation AEB2 or AEB3 or BFK4

Car made in Acton are with specific designation BFD1 or BFD2
also BFM1 and 2 but not sure if the production was done for the two last, because 1939 WW2 beginning.

1000 BFK4 after WW2 was made with right hand drive.

I think Acton production is with specific dashboard but not sure about that, it is one of my interrogations.

and the second is to know from which factory India's Juvaquatre were made.

thank you for your help.

BGRS
Old 6th January 2010, 14:04   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
This car belongs to a distant relation (Picture reattached). In fact I live behind his house. I believe the first owner was a prominent advocate/ barrister of old.

Aditya
Hye, It's my Car. Good to see it here on team-bhp site.
Old 6th January 2010, 14:04   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
This car belongs to a distant relation (Picture reattached). In fact I live behind his house. I believe the first owner was a prominent advocate/ barrister of old.

Aditya

Amod Jog.
Old 6th January 2010, 23:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amodjog View Post
Amod Jog.
Hi Amod, welcome to the Forum !!
Do post more pictures of this lovely car, and any more (?) that you own .
Old 6th January 2010, 23:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Heard that there couple of renault cars(probably 4) are lying in a state govt health dept vehicle depot here in Nagpur.Will try to get into the depot to find out .
Old 7th January 2010, 11:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Heard that there couple of renault cars(probably 4) are lying in a state govt health dept vehicle depot here in Nagpur.Will try to get into the depot to find out .
Also try to check on the Renault 4 at the garage near IDBI bank we spoke about some posts ago. I had seen it last year, looked good !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks