Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 15:17   #31
BHPian

Hello Benz-ians!

Well, this refers to both Merc owners as well as lovers. I have been desperately looking for a mint condition Merc which can be driven daily and is easy on maintenance. My usual drive is around 25 kms a day. My budget on the highest side is 3L. As it would be my first Merc, need your help in locating a pristine condition car and your valuable suggestions in selection of the appropriate model.

Am open to both diesel and petrol models with original engines and parts. How difficult and expensive is it to find spares like oil/fuel filters, front windscreens, Head/tail lights, a/c spares etc. of, lets say, a 1984 240D?

Vikas
Old 19th February 2009, 20:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Hello Benz-ians!

Am open to both diesel and petrol models with original engines and parts. How difficult and expensive is it to find spares like oil/fuel filters, front windscreens, Head/tail lights, a/c spares etc. of, lets say, a 1984 240D?
Vikas
Vikas parts for the 123 series cars are available in plentiful in Mumbai and Delhi, if you want a non maintainence car go for the 123 series, I am aware of some cars that are for sale in our club. I will ask the owners to call you.
Old 21st February 2009, 14:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vikas. Good to see another star fan.

I will agree with Amol. If you want a reliable go anywhere car it has to be a W123. Looking at your budget, a very good example can be sourced out. I would suggest you look for the following features in a W123 which makes driving them a pleasure.

Preferred Choices of a W123:

Diesels: W123-240D or my pick would be the 300D.
Petrols: 200-230-250-280.

The 200D i did not recommend due to it being sluggish if automatic.

Necessaries:

RHD-Power steering-power windows-a/c-central locking-automatic transmission
Should be in spanking shape and should shift into gears smoothly.
Check for original upholstery.
Check for frontal damage repair.
These cars are a pleasure to drive and be driven in all the same. For 3 lakhs you should nbe able to find a pristine 240-300D with al the features mentioned above, with some loose change left over. Remember, you said Mint, hence the high price, else a fair example could be sourced for half that amount.

Quote:
How difficult and expensive is it to find spares like oil/fuel filters, front windscreens, Head/tail lights, a/c spares etc. of, lets say, a 1984 240D?
Vikas

Regards parts availability, plenty are available at many a shop at opera House. Believe me when i say that the parts are cheaper than most present Indian cars.

Here are some prices i am aware of W123;(+ or - 10%)

Oil Filter : 450/-
Fuel Filter: 600/- (special DB twin type)
Front Windscreen: New, 14,000/-
Head/Tail light assembly (better bought from Chor Bazar)
a/c spares available aplenty with your friendly neighbourhood car a/c walla

I will look out for a car for you too and inform. Meanwhile, happy hunting

Last edited by V-16 : 21st February 2009 at 14:29.
Old 21st February 2009, 19:44   #34
BHPian

Thanks a ton V-16!
Your suggestions have tremendously helped me make up my mind for the 123 series. I have located a 1982 300D with newly overhauled engine, suspension, new paintwork and leather interiors (original)... but the gentleman is asking for a very steep 4L! Guess will have to give it a miss as 3L is the highest I can spend.
Please do keep me informed if you find something for me.
Thanks,
Vikas
Old 21st February 2009, 23:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton V-16!
Your suggestions have tremendously helped me make up my mind for the 123 series. I have located a 1982 300D with newly overhauled engine, suspension, new paintwork and leather interiors (original)... but the gentleman is asking for a very steep 4L! Guess will have to give it a miss as 3L is the highest I can spend.
Please do keep me informed if you find something for me.
Thanks,
Vikas
4 lakhs is a lot. I told you three max for a car that is mint and i mean mint. Not a rupee to spend. Thats what a mint car is. Forget the 4L car, you will get better deals. For 4 L you might get a good W124. Ill keep you informed.
Old 24th August 2009, 17:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Official Certificate for Classic MB cars

A while ago I wrote to daimler Chrysler for a official Certificate for my Ponton given below is extract of the procedure and contact details as supplied by them:

Official Certificate for Classic Mercedes-Benz Cars

The DaimlerChrysler Corporate Archives are now offering another exclusive service to owners of classic Mercedes-Benz cars

Issue of a company certificate, documenting all the archived technical data of your classic Mercedes-Benz in tasteful style.

Based on the chassis number stated in the vehicle documents, a personalized, attractively designed certificate for – old or not so old – cars can be ordered, showing the equipment specifications and delivery details in an appealing manner

The DaimlerChrysler Corporate Archives are the repository of almost complete records of vehicle data cards and engine and vehicle order books that make it possible to establish beyond doubt the original specifications of almost every vehicle ever built of the Mercedes and Mercedes-Benz brands. The full scope of the archived data ranges from internal order numbers, bodywork and engine codes through to the place of delivery – dating right back to 1890.

The high-quality embossed certificate is a premium document that is individually issued in the name of the owner of the respective classic car by the DaimlerChrysler Corporate Archives. It not only confirms the identity of a car but also testifies stylishly to the emotional bonds between owner and car.

The certificate thus makes an ideal personal gift of lasting value since the owner’s name is recorded for posterity in the order books of the Corporate Archives.

A certificate may be obtained by presenting proof of ownership (photocopy of ownership certificate and data sheet) at a price of € 100 plus postage and packaging. Orders should be submitted in writing to:

DaimlerChrysler AG
Corporate Archives
C107
70546 Stuttgart
E-mail: konzernarchiv@daimlerchrysler.com

DaimlerChrysler

DaimlerChrysler Classic
Stuttgart, Germany
www.daimlerchrysler.com/classic
Old 24th August 2009, 17:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Its now Daimler AG and I don't think this old email still works. The certificate can be had from the MB Museum & Heritage center. Will post the exact contact details later. Maybe Indrojit can post them as I had sent them to him.
Old 12th February 2010, 23:46   #38
BHPian

History of Mercedes Benz

Some photographs depicting the evolution of Mercedes Benz.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Benz Club-India-image001.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image002.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image003.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image004.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image005.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image006.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image007.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image008.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image009.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image010.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image011.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image012.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image013.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image014.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image015.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image016.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image017.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image018.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image019.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image021.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image022.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image023.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image024.jpg  

Mercedes Benz Club-India-image025.jpg  

Attached Images

S.B.Jatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2010, 05:19   #39

Mr Jatti,

Thanks for the really informative pics. New year has hit me with the 3 pointer bug and I wish to own one of them. Now as per info provided by Merc gurus in this forum W123 seems to be within my budget range but I also like the w201 (190) because of the size as I wish to use it in Pune traffic. Can gurus let me know the pros and cons of 190D. LHD is not an issue as I own another german LHD vehicle. Also pointers to anyone parting with their benz will be great.
Old 13th February 2010, 12:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhasis_999 View Post
Mr Jatti,

Thanks for the really informative pics. New year has hit me with the 3 pointer bug and I wish to own one of them. Now as per info provided by Merc gurus in this forum W123 seems to be within my budget range but I also like the w201 (190) because of the size as I wish to use it in Pune traffic. Can gurus let me know the pros and cons of 190D. LHD is not an issue as I own another german LHD vehicle. Also pointers to anyone parting with their benz will be great.
W-123, 240 D is a very good car, spares are available easily and the engine components are the same as the Tempo Traveller, which also uses the 240 engine. There were a few cars in Delhi for sale some petrol and a few in diesel. I shall find out if they are still available.
Old 13th February 2010, 18:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

On 10th Septembe 1959 Mercedes-Benz were the first to crash test a car after incorporation the crumple zone. Here is a picture from that event. Historic really, this happened more than 50 years ago.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Benz Club-India-magazine-8.jpg  

Old 13th February 2010, 20:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
Some photographs depicting the evolution of Mercedes Benz.
That is some list man ! Pheww ! Highly commendable to collect such a detailed post Cheers !
Old 13th February 2010, 22:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
On 10th Septembe 1959 Mercedes-Benz were the first to crash test a car after incorporation the crumple zone. Here is a picture from that event. Historic really, this happened more than 50 years ago.

Cheers harit
This is the crash test that resulted in the Ponton steerings becoming Padded on the post 1959 cars.
Old 13th February 2010, 23:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This is the crash test that resulted in the Ponton steerings becoming Padded on the post 1959 cars.

The photograph of the car in the crash test is that of a W 110 - Fintail and not of a Ponton. The W-110's were introduced after they discontinued production of the Ponton.
Old 13th February 2010, 23:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Not correct. This is a crash test of a fin tail where crumple zones were demonstrated. I think that the padding on the steering did not really offer any protection. That was probably more decorative, just see the diameter of the padding, it is really not sufficient to save anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
The photograph of the car in the crash test is that of a W 110 - Fintail and not of a Ponton. The W-110's were introduced after they discontinued production of the Ponton.
I had a very hard look at the car and am not sure which model was involved. This is a 1959 car, the rear looks like a 220S, the front more like a 180/190. The article said 220S.
Did not the last 220S Ponton run concurrently with the first fintails?

Just wondering.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed