Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 11:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Randeep sorry to burst your bubble, but none of these cars are from a collection but more of a transit camp, All of them are for sale. The place that they are parked has been visited by me many a times, but the prices of the cars are ridiculous for the conditions that they are in. So i would not call it a persons collection.

I met your Mamaji in Jaipur during my last visit and he was not very happy with the pictures being put on the net.

Well Lotus my bubble does not burst so easily. Well as I said earlier approx 30 cars are not his, he is restoring the cars for others. If those people want to sell them they are welcome. As for transit camp, well are'nt all garages that?

I just spoke to my Mamaji in Jaipur once I read your post, He never said a word to me about the pics that are put up. I hope you visited the right work shop?
Old 14th January 2009, 12:19   #17
BHPian

Hi randeep,

Where in Jaipur is the garage of your Mamaji, i am from Jaipur and keep visiting Jaipur frequently, i would like to see such a huge and valuable collection of these magnificient beauties.

regards,
Sanjeev
Old 14th January 2009, 12:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Randeep sorry to burst your bubble, but none of these cars are from a collection but more of a transit camp, All of them are for sale. The place that they are parked has been visited by me many a times, but the prices of the cars are ridiculous for the conditions that they are in. So i would not call it a persons collection.

I met your Mamaji in Jaipur during my last visit and he was not very happy with the pictures being put on the net.
As Speedy says, this place is indeed a transit camp. Not a collection of a collector, but stock of a restorer/repairer.
I recognise many cars shown here, some from Mumbai, Nagpur etc. I know who had bought them initially, but not sure if sold on. There are many cars which have good potential, would love to get for my collection, but price and condition are a huge deterant. And some are outright junk. Like the 116 Merc, better cars have been scrapped. Is the Range Rover really worth restoring? Perhaps some cars are just parked there.
Also, when these are lying like this, why not do some effort to preserve the chrome. Rechroming is possible, but difficult in India and original is always the best.
Many cars have parts missing, hope that these are available, just removed for safekeeping.
I am not sure about the quality of the work, some close up pics of restored cars will be appreciated. Also, many cars have been seen on this forum below.
is the 1959 Chevy a convertible or cut top. Cannot make out.
Whether Mamaji was pleased or not with the pics posted on the net should be for them to thrash out, no need to highlight this particularly if Randeep indeed did what he was not supposed to.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:09   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I recognise this yellow Desoto:

I'd seen pics. of this car in this forum earlier, taken at some rally in B'bay- it was owned by a collector in b'bay and didn't have any numberplates.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Hi randeep,

Where in Jaipur is the garage of your Mamaji, i am from Jaipur and keep visiting Jaipur frequently, i would like to see such a huge and valuable collection of these magnificient beauties.

regards,
Sanjeev
Hi Sanjeev,

This collection is not in Jaipur at my Mamaji's garage. Its in Delhi. Well cant blame you for asking this question as some BHPian just sort of mixed two threads.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!
Old 14th January 2009, 16:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

lovely pix Randeep, pls post more if u have them. Would love to see more of he restored ones.
Old 14th January 2009, 16:22   #22
Team-BHP Support

Ironic, but the original owner of the Volvo 121 Amazon passed away on 29th Dec at a ripe old age of 101. Car was imported from Malaysia
Old 14th January 2009, 19:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Lots more to come, Oldsmobile, chevy's etc etc
is that 1956 plymouth trim and fins on that hudson?
Old 14th January 2009, 20:04   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats quite a selection of cars, even though in various states of disrepair. Irrespective, pictures such as these are always welcome, I look forward to more with much interest. I particularly liked the massacred Hudson with Dodge Kingsway fins and trim fitted.

Quote:
This thread comprises of the largest classic car collection anyone would own in India. This particular garage or should I say farm is owned by my dad's cousin in Delhi. There are approx 60-65 cars that are parked all around his 4.5 acre farm, out of which he owns approx 40-45 cars. Work is going on one at a time.
I must correct you here, there are a fair number of collectors in the country with many many more cars in their possession. Bhogilal is the first name to come to mind.
Old 14th January 2009, 20:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Randeep. Thanks for sharing these pics with us. so many rare cars are Eye candy.

Yes this place has been visited by many enthusiasts including Iraghava and Speedy (Not Lotus). Your Mamaji is doing a very commendable job giving life to cars, that have seen neglect. Kudos to him, whether they are his collection or not.

Coming to the question of the title of the thread which says its the largest private collection In India. I think you are mistaken, as most of these 65 odd cars you say, are not even owned by a single person. Bhogilal's collection is huge but there are many on this forum who have collections larger than that.

Then again maybe you meant it as the largest (private??) collection of cars in a private place..that again is not true. Harit and Speedy would agree as they have, including me, seen some larger collections in much better shape.

An arguable large collection would be Bhogilal's or the Hegde collection. There are others who would not like to be named so I will not name them, respecting their sentiments.

I remember seeing a late 30's early 40's Cadillac shell lying at one corner as soon as you enter this plot. Is it still there?

Hmmm MRH 7474 rings a bell....but i cant really put my finger on this Belair...Harit...you recognize this car??
PND 1, i have seen i great shape. Why spoil such a beautifully complete car?
I also recognize the Bombay Cherokee. Last it was wanting an engine and gearbox a few years ago in Bombay lying helplessly at a garage for a looong time.

Anyway please keep the pics coming and as i said randeep04, thanks again for sharing them with us.

P.S. What in the blazes is that Hudson Hornet/Pacemaker doing with rear tail fins?? I never saw a Hudson like that. Looks whacky and in bad taste.
EDIT: I see Karl has already posed that question.

Last edited by V-16 : 14th January 2009 at 20:39. Reason: Changing copy.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:03   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry, meant to reply to this earlier but forgot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
is the 1959 Chevy a convertible or cut top. Cannot make out.
I suspect it could be a chop-top. Going by the red overspray over the original blue paint and the "radium" sticker over the front grille, I suspect this was a barAt car in Hyderabad! If so, I hope it still has the original engine......glad this is one that didn't end it's life at the local scrapyard though!
Old 15th January 2009, 10:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well Lotus my bubble does not burst so easily. Well as I said earlier approx 30 cars are not his, he is restoring the cars for others. If those people want to sell them they are welcome. As for transit camp, well are'nt all garages that?

I just spoke to my Mamaji in Jaipur once I read your post, He never said a word to me about the pics that are put up. I hope you visited the right work shop?
Lotus??? Its Speedy my friend. Please do not take things Personaly.

There are are only 5 cars that come there for work. The rest are all for sale. I would have given you the persons name and nomber too but you are not allowed to do that on the forum. I know this cause i have been offered them, and have also seen the cars several times. I even know your Relative.

Yeah if you do use the handle name he would not recognise, but if you ask your mamaji in jaipur of the guy who visited from bombay and whom your mamaji sent a parcel with, he would know who your talking off. His house is in the same place and he has three dogs too. The was also a Landrover Defender convertible along with a army jeep that stands on the right side as soon as you enter the house. Those pictures you have not posted and neither have the two unrestored Mg's.

Like mentioned by Harit and V16, this is not the largest collection private or not. Some of the cars belong to people i know, like the Caddy shell that V16 is talking off belongs to R.M. and like wise even the cars being restored are for sale. So cars stored at a place by others to sell do not make it a collection of a person.

Last edited by speedy : 15th January 2009 at 10:47.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:24   #28
BANNED

Err... is it only me or is it the workload today.

Randeep says garage in Delhi, Speedy talks about a garage in Jaipur.I know i was bad in Geography but hell i am good now(Google earth zindabad ). And i know both are not the same.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Awesome. Superb collection. This is by far the most comprehensive collection I have seen. It is sad ofcourse, to see so many legends getting treated to nature!!
Old 15th January 2009, 14:33   #30
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
Lotus??? Its Speedy my friend. Please do not take things Personaly.

There are are only 5 cars that come there for work. The rest are all for sale. I would have given you the persons name and nomber too but you are not allowed to do that on the forum. I know this cause i have been offered them, and have also seen the cars several times. I even know your Relative.

Yeah if you do use the handle name he would not recognise, but if you ask your mamaji in jaipur of the guy who visited from bombay and whom your mamaji sent a parcel with, he would know who your talking off. His house is in the same place and he has three dogs too. The was also a Landrover Defender convertible along with a army jeep that stands on the right side as soon as you enter the house. Those pictures you have not posted and neither have the two unrestored Mg's.

Like mentioned by Harit and V16, this is not the largest collection private or not. Some of the cars belong to people i know, like the Caddy shell that V16 is talking off belongs to R.M. and like wise even the cars being restored are for sale. So cars stored at a place by others to sell do not make it a collection of a person.
Guys, lets not get worked up on this.

Randeep has shared some wonderful pics of cars that i've not even heard of.

He's doing his part and i see no reason in somebody feeling offended about it.

This may not be a largest collection nonetheless, its one amongst the largest collection seen by us. Where else do you get to see so many cars at one single place. This is one of its kind on T-BHP.

Randeep got some more ...

Most Viewed