Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2009, 16:01   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Lotus??? Its Speedy my friend. Please do not take things Personaly.

There are are only 5 cars that come there for work. The rest are all for sale. I would have given you the persons name and nomber too but you are not allowed to do that on the forum. I know this cause i have been offered them, and have also seen the cars several times. I even know your Relative.

Yeah if you do use the handle name he would not recognise, but if you ask your mamaji in jaipur of the guy who visited from bombay and whom your mamaji sent a parcel with, he would know who your talking off. His house is in the same place and he has three dogs too. The was also a Landrover Defender convertible along with a army jeep that stands on the right side as soon as you enter the house. Those pictures you have not posted and neither have the two unrestored Mg's.

Like mentioned by Harit and V16, this is not the largest collection private or not. Some of the cars belong to people i know, like the Caddy shell that V16 is talking off belongs to R.M. and like wise even the cars being restored are for sale. So cars stored at a place by others to sell do not make it a collection of a person.
Speedy,

First of all I do not take such small things personal.
I happened to post the pics just because I went to my Tauji's farm. I infact have no interest in classic or vintage cars. But getting to enjoy them with time. I felt enthusiasts like you and others on the forum would enjoy them so I posted the thread. I'd never seen someone with so many cars in one place hence "Largest Private Collection". Transit camp is what I would not call them as nearly 30-35 out of the 60-70 cars belong to him.

As for my Mamaji's garage in Jaipur, Yes you seem to have been there. But your telling me he's upset about me posting pics on the net was totally not called for as he did not even mention anything when I called. Even if he was I sure know how to handle personal issues.

Happy Motoring !!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Guys, lets not get worked up on this.

Randeep has shared some wonderful pics of cars that i've not even heard of.

He's doing his part and i see no reason in somebody feeling offended about it.

This may not be a largest collection nonetheless, its one amongst the largest collection seen by us. Where else do you get to see so many cars at one single place. This is one of its kind on T-BHP.

Randeep got some more ...

Thanks Pavan,

Will post more as and when I stumble upon something.

Cheers !!!!!!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th January 2009 at 16:32. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Boys.

Let me tell you about a place in Hyderabad that used to have close to a 100 vintage / classic cars parket awaiting restoration.

it was pure automotive heaven with some buggys and carriages thrown in for good measures.

Now most of the cars have been moved to another location and some have been restored.

All used to belong to one person.

This by far was the largest private collection one could ever see. They would add cars every month and in batches for eight to ten at a time.

Those were the good old days. You could find such gems like a late 30's single owner Hupmobile among otheres there.

Can anyone figure a=out whose collection this was and where ?
Old 27th January 2009, 18:25   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ollection.html
Old 27th January 2009, 20:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Karl, i wanted to post the very link but could not get around finding it.
Randeep buddy, I dont think anyone meant offence so please dont take any and please keep posting pics like that. Its a pleasure to see cars that we dont see on roads or anywhere else now days.
Old 28th January 2009, 11:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Only one thing I can say "Rusting beauty's"

- I feel sad.
Old 28th January 2009, 13:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Boys.

Let me tell you about a place in Hyderabad that used to have close to a 100 vintage / classic cars parket awaiting restoration.

it was pure automotive heaven with some buggys and carriages thrown in for good measures.

Now most of the cars have been moved to another location and some have been restored.

All used to belong to one person.

This by far was the largest private collection one could ever see. They would add cars every month and in batches for eight to ten at a time.

Those were the good old days. You could find such gems like a late 30's single owner Hupmobile among otheres there.

You teaser!! Are you talking about the Captains or the Nawabs collection. Because of the number, I feel that it is the Nawab's you are talking about. I knew about him since the mid 1980's but have met him only at the recent Cartier event. A real fine gentleman and what a collection he has. He is very modest, does not talk or boast of his collection. Since I have my ear to the ground and pick up a lot of car talk, I told him what cars he has that I knew of and some other things about his collection. He was amazed, wondered if I had CID giving me info.
In short, a wonderful modest gentleman with many wonderful and rare cars.
Old 28th January 2009, 22:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
You teaser!! Are you talking about the Captains or the Nawabs collection. Because of the number, I feel that it is the Nawab's you are talking about. I knew about him since the mid 1980's but have met him only at the recent Cartier event. A real fine gentleman and what a collection he has. He is very modest, does not talk or boast of his collection. Since I have my ear to the ground and pick up a lot of car talk, I told him what cars he has that I knew of and some other things about his collection. He was amazed, wondered if I had CID giving me info.
In short, a wonderful modest gentleman with many wonderful and rare cars.
Yes Sir. It has to be the Nawab's collection. The Capt's collection in comparision is no patch. If you can go back to one of the threads, do not remember which one, I had mentioned about the amazing collection of the Nawab, not to to forget his modesty and humbleness. I have been one of the lucky few to see part of his collection.Infact, our COMMON FRIEND from bangalore who got the Nawab for the Cartier show, was partly introduced by me to the Nawab.

I do remember, you mentioning to me that the Nawab was stunned when you reeled out the names of the exotics he owned,because they have never been displayed or viewed upon by anyone, except a few lucky one's.
Old 29th January 2009, 10:40   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Since Wasif mentioned the Hupmobile and some carriages its probably Capt Pestonji's collection he is referring to.

I don't recall seeing a Hupmobile with Rashid bhai, perhaps I missed seeing it. I keep pestering Rashid bhai every time I meet him to turn the collection into a museum and as is his usual style he charmingly skirts the issue

The problem with these large collections is these days you don't get decent workers to restore the cars. The first time I saw the cars the Healey was in one piece. After a couple of decades when I met him again it was in pieces to my horror. I'm sure the workers would have driven him crazy resulting in the restoration getting stalled.

However, thanks to people like Rashid bhai, Capt Pestonji and Inder some wonderful automobiles remain in Hyderabad albeit in mothballed condition.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

I was refereing to Capt. Pestonji's collection when it was in its infancy in the mid 1990's most of the cars were housed on Wajid Bhai's sprawling property behind the Osmania University. They would go around buying cars in batches of 6 to 8 at one time and every visit to the place was a memorable occasion.

I remember the batch bought from the Nizams estate which included the Dodge, a Cadillac Limo, Chevy and a Jeep. The Hupp was bought from a lady at Masab Tank after her husbands demise.

Rashid Bhai doesn't have a Hupp but the other cars in his collection more than overshadow the Hupp. Some like the rebodied Jag roadster are most charming and intriguing. His collection of automotive litrature is also mind boggling. The Lincoln V12 was the only car with a V 12 enjine in Hyd at that time.

I have had the pleasure of working on and driving some of his cars for which i will always be in debt to him.

The Healey was a wonderful project to take on but the state it had ended up in was so far gone that he didnt want to start on it till his other cars were looked after.

I helped him get the black & silver buick super running again along with his Singer Roadster, the Sunbeam Alpine, one of the Cadillacs and the Ford V8 and. I always wanted to get the Lincoln going but my move to the US put a stop to the whole plan.
Old 29th January 2009, 13:20   #40
BHPian

can't really call it a nice collection of nice cars. the cars seem to be in a scrap condition.

glad to know that they are being revived/restored. otherwise it would have been a shame letting these beauties rot away like that.

and i really doubt whether this is a largest private collection (irrespective of who owns how many cars of the lot)
largest in India is of Dr. VM, the one who gave us the best thirst quencher.
the second largest (if not mistaken) is of some gentleman in Indore. Trying from quiet some time to get up and personal with the garage, but couldn't manage it yet.

@speedy
dude can you help with the no. of classics and vintages Mr. SS of Indore has? and also what all's there in his stable

If not mistaken the gentleman has some 7 odd rolls royce in pristine condition. Kindly confirm.
Old 29th January 2009, 13:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

awsome beauties.. good collection.. loved the LWB LHD jeep there and also that Merc Convertible.
Old 29th January 2009, 14:15   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
and i really doubt whether this is a largest private collection (irrespective of who owns how many cars of the lot)
largest in India is of Dr. VM, the one who gave us the best thirst quencher.
Can you back that up with numbers? I doubt it is the largest in terms of absolute numbers. There are surprisingly many collectors with very large numbers, but fairly low key.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Can you back that up with numbers? I doubt it is the largest in terms of absolute numbers. There are surprisingly many collectors with very large numbers, but fairly low key.
I believe to the best of my knowledge that the Pranlal collection is by far the largest in India. There are more cars in his collection than shown in his museum.
About the VM collection, I am aware that there is a neat collection of his in America, but we are talking about collections in India and cars in India.

Quote:
can't really call it a nice collection of nice cars. the cars seem to be in a scrap condition.
I am not sure about this. I have been to the basement of his bungalow in the 1990's and he showed me around. Many cars were in good nick, though he did tell me that there were some lying elsewhere unrestored.

AND, please remember that these two, the captain and Nawab collected cars from ALL over India, they do not have exclusively Hyderabadi cars.
Old 29th January 2009, 16:25   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
About the VM collection, I am aware that there is a neat collection of his in America, but we are talking about collections in India and cars in India..
Im told that the collection oversees is not his personal property, but he is joint owner/trustee of the collection. Can anyone conform this?

Quote:
I am not sure about this. I have been to the basement of his bungalow in the 1990's and he showed me around. Many cars were in good nick, though he did tell me that there were some lying elsewhere unrestored.
I think the post was in reference to initial posts in this thread.

Also can anyone give us a (close) figure on the number of cars finally in the Bhogilal collection? In various threads across the forum Ive read numbers like 100, 200, 300, 350, 400 etc. I believe the number would be around 300, am I right?
Old 29th January 2009, 22:38   #45
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AND, please remember that these two, the captain and Nawab collected cars from ALL over India, they do not have exclusively Hyderabadi cars.
Not entirely so Harit. Of the limited knowledge I have of the cars in their possesion the Hyderabad cars with Rashid bhai would be a very original 47 Caddy (the number is 9000 I think), atleast one of the 47 Buick convertibles is from an old family friend of ours and am sure there are a few more that found their way into his collection. With Capt Pestonji there's a lovely late 40's Desoto, a 36 Buick Convertible, the Hupmobile, Azamjah's Caddy, Osman Ali Khan's Dodge and again a few more I'm sure that are Hyderabad cars.

Most Viewed