Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 12:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

DKG, that was one hell of a great write-up. I like the pics of both cars---real beauties indeed.
As regards your flashback, I too am guilty of the petty offence you've mentioned about---sitting on dad's lap and driving his Ford Consul in the mid-60s. Unfortunately neither my dad or the car are still around.
Do post some pics of the interiors of your car.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:33   #47
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Was not his Triumph Roadster a part of the Khairtabad Gas Station owners collection ?
No Wasif, this is a single owner car. Shantanu's father Vijay Reddy bought the car new and its with them since.

Quote:
I remember seeing your mom and the white Vauxhall. what happened to the car
Up until 1996 the Hillman and the Vauxhall were, much to everyone's amusement, the family's daily drivers. Then we bought a Maruti and because of the problem of finding spares, esp tyres for the Vauxhall, my parents sold the car. APX 3260 was bought new by my grandfather and perhaps I should someday buy it back as its my mother's car. It seems to have disappeared, need to find out where the car is. Maybe I should restore it and present it to my sister to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
it would have been quite emotional getting your vintage on the road
I have been driving APX 110 all these years but for the first time in 13 years we took her back to the highways. It reminded me of all our journeys.

To see my mother's zest at 80, the fact that my parents used this Packard for the past 42 years, my sis and I grew up with the car at home, that should explain in part the sentiments attached with ownership of APX 110.

Now just imagine this. The LaSalle is in her 80 th year in my father's family. It was bought the year my father was born. Can you even begin to understand the emotions in the hearts of all my father's brothers for the car? Its almost their identity !!

Last edited by DKG : 24th March 2009 at 12:37.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thanks DKG.

Oops I remember seeing this roadster many times at the club. Getting forgetfull these days !

The Khairtabad gentleman had a Renown and an Mayflower too I remember also there was a black roadster also there in Hyd in those days.

Is the yellow Ford Roadster the Iqbal Patni Car ?

Wasif

PS. The roadster has three wiper blades which is the same as my FJ

Last edited by wasif : 24th March 2009 at 12:48.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:44   #49
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Makes me ponder on a thought of looking around for a vintage for myself too :-)
You know Ardy. As Absynthguzzler (TBHPian) and I stood chatting near the Packard he told me he just might look for his father's Dodge and buy it back and restore it.

I have noticed something in all these hobbies of mine. Its the activity which brings people together. Any activity. The biking has opened a crazy spectrum of friends and fun. The vintage cars have done so for years. To me its all about people and activity. The cars are really not ultimately important. Its the people who associate on account of this passion that are more relevant and precious. Ofcourse in vintage cars you have the added bonus of the joy and pleasure of being custodian of a work of art, again to be shared and appreciated by one and all.

So do treat yourself to a vintage car and usher in all the joys and pleasure and not to mention the pain and heartaches of maintaining them. Ultimately its a beautiful hobby and I wish more people get into it.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful

Thanks Deepak for the pictures, but especially for your wonderfully perceptive and sensitive write-up. Your words are a refreshing change from the usual 'clinical' descriptions of such events and the cars. They rightly harp upon the fact that cars were actually a part of the family!

Cheers,
Old 24th March 2009, 12:50   #51
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Khairtabad gentleman had a Renown and an Mayflower too I remember also there was a black roadster also there in Hyd in those days.
The Khairtabad gentleman (aka Ramprakash Agarwal) has the Singer which once belonged to Asad bhai (do you know them? Asad and Renu). He's painted the car black. Are you referring to this car or another black Triumph?

Yes the yellow Ford is Iqbal's car.

Quote:
The roadster has three wiper blades which is the same as my FJ
That's interesting. Gives a larger swept area?

Last edited by DKG : 24th March 2009 at 12:52.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:55   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
APX 3260 was bought new by my grandfather and perhaps I should someday buy it back as its my mother's car. It seems to have disappeared, need to find out where the car is.
Arrey Deepakbhai, what a small world. All you had to do was ask.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/510555-post2.html
Old 24th March 2009, 13:01   #53
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Ravveendrra, thanks and it was a pleasure meeting you. We should get the camping scene going as monsoon sets in after June

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Arrey Deepakbhai, what a small world. All you had to do was ask.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/510555-post2.html
now why did I not think of our inhouse Sherlock !!! Thanks Karlos. You remember the owner's name and address? Pls PM me

Last edited by DKG : 24th March 2009 at 13:05.
Old 24th March 2009, 13:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

I think there was another roadster in Hyd which was black.

What happened to Sanjar Ali Khan's Singer

Did Iqbal get his Mercedes restored yet ?

I remember picking up his ford from a workshop, piece by piece. I assembled the car and got it running but unfortunately didn't get to finish it.

I had suggested this yellow and black colour scheme to him but I was visualising a little darker shade.
Old 24th March 2009, 13:17   #55
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think there was another roadster in Hyd which was black.
Inder Krishnama has one, but it may have come in from Indore or elsewhere. Am not aware of the black car

Quote:
What happened to Sanjar Ali Khan's Singer
No idea. He was one of the few people, like us, still using an old car as a daily driver till recent. Haven't seen the car on road in ages though. Often we'd see it on Banjara

Quote:
Did Iqbal get his Mercedes restored yet ?
No idea, what Merc is it?

Quote:
I had suggested this yellow and black colour scheme to him but I was visualising a little darker shade.
Would agree with you.
Old 24th March 2009, 13:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Iqbal had bought a 170V cabriolet. It was from the Dilshad Theater people.

On the subject of using old cars the most memorable case was of Ms. Kottel. I can never forget that Singer. Ironically Inder who is her nephew inherited her house but the car went to Rashid Bhai.

She had had the passenger seat removed so that she could carry her dog comfortably.

She also had a stone with her in the car to use on slopes when she parked.

Where are the pictures of the other cars at the event.

You seem to be taking perverse pleasure in witholding these pictures.
Old 24th March 2009, 13:57   #57
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You seem to be taking perverse pleasure in witholding these pictures.
not quite sir. That's all the pictures I have. Perhaps someone else who was there should post some pictures.
Old 25th March 2009, 03:03   #58
BHPian

Hi DKG,

Thanks for wonderful write up, your uncle's La Salle was in Rally or not?

Your family association with Packards is very interesting, I look forward
to see more old pics of your Packards and experience.

Exciting to hear that it was good opportunity to meet all car enthusiast at one place, specially meeting Mr. Manvender Singh. I hope this event will grow in future and more big sponsors come forward and this type of events should held 3-4 times in a year.

Regards,
Old 25th March 2009, 10:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Calling all Team Members form Hyderabad

Whats up with the pictures and the report on the rest of the cars in this event.

Please can someon step up to the plate and do the needfull.

Cant believe all you guys went to the event and didn't get pictures of all the cars.

Maybe we should have asked John from Calcutta to attend then we would have got a definitive report.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a nice event. The rain played spoil sport but that is not in your hand. The venue was also very nice, and you all must have got the royal treatment.
Only wondering what happened to all the missing great cars in Hyderabad. You have a few Rolls, the LaSalle was missing more Packards are there. I hope that Hyderabad has not been affected by vintage car politics. That would be sad. And the real loser is the guy who did not come!
Some comments on the cars except the Packard, we now all know that even the vacuum wipers work.
The Ford A MHN 1116 may have been a Mumbai car which belonged to an Air India pilot who was living in Bandra and relocated to Hyderabad with his Jeep and Austin 7.
Dodge Brothers a royal Dharbanga car with special coachwork.
Opel rear body must be modified, looks nice but not original.
May there be more cars participating next time.
Good Luck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks