Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 15:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
So ADL 357 came from your end? A car I am very fond off. The gent who runs the workshop where the car is had told me many years back how it was acquired from a lady in Hyderabad along with a treasure trove of spares, he could not stop talking about it. He had mentioned to me that 2 cars were bought together, the other being a AP regd convertible 50s Chevy, but that was in poor shape he said.

Do you have period photos of the car? Would you recall the original regn number?
Karlos.

The original reg no was something with APX. Sometime in the early 1980's the AP RTO came up with a rule asking all cars with regestration numbers issued prior to a certain date to come forward and have their cars re regestered.

Some did and some didn't and my grand uncle was one of them. He was really passionate about his cars and wouldn't even let his son drive them. He also had a mid fifties Fiat single owner which is still with the family. We have two of these cars to be correct.

Let me tell you an interesting fact about he Ford.

When muslim families wed their daughters in Hyderabad it is a custom to give the newly weds complete furnishings etc to start a new home.

Meraj Yar Khan, my grand uncle was with the Postal Service in a job that was open to periodic transfers.

He requested his father in law that instead of buying the household items he should be given the money instead to buy a new car.

Thus the Ford was bought and remained with him all his life. His garage at home in Hyd was a treaure trove of parts and tools as he worked on the car himself.

All was either given with the car or sold to the scrap merchants.

Don't know about the Chevy convertible though. It was not from my family.
Old 26th March 2009, 15:47   #77
BHPian

DKG,

I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. Your description of the event (along with the pictures, of course ) conjures up a really nice image. Thanks for sharing

Aditya

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks