Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 13:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nice pix chettan! btw, the amby is a treat to see. The original twin beadings are almost extinct now. sadly, the car is not in its original shade, and the beadings are not complete. The original combos for this model, were blue with white stripe and black with white stripe.

There's a single owner, sparingly used car here,made in england lamps and Still in factory paint!!

Last edited by JayD : 27th January 2009 at 13:44.
Old 27th January 2009, 14:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing pictures Stanher. Looks like the rally was a grand success. I can see that Suren Vespa and Hillram's Carolla. But, what about yours? which one is yours?

Hillram, only one car you participated with? No drivers available that day?

I had a late breakfast that day and passed lumbini park around 11:30AM and quickly took a gander from the road and saw the rally ongoing but, since a friend and wifey were waiting in the car as we had to go someplace else, i didnt come inside the venue.
Old 27th January 2009, 14:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Stanher, Awesome visual treat!! Thank you so much for the nice pics.

Hillram & Suren, very cool vintage models you own! I can never forget my experience of sitting in Hillram's blue corolla....impeccable maintainence!!
Three cheers to you all!!
Old 27th January 2009, 15:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...9-img_2282.jpg

Happened to sit on it for a short while when we came back from Warangal!
That's one neat Vespa.
Amazing collection and beautiful photos of the 'hot models'. I was planning to come but woke up really late and realized that I had some incomplete coding to finish and was at work yesterday!
Old 27th January 2009, 18:51   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Amazing pictures Stanher. Looks like the rally was a grand success. I can see that Suren Vespa and Hillram's Carolla. But, what about yours? which one is yours?
Hi mobike (and getsurya!)
Geez, I'm really glad you decided to take a stroll (quoting suren's earlier statement!) outside the meet/shifting-gears section! Do I see some kind of miraculous transformation in you guys??

Well, my car is the cream+blue Standard Pennant 'APU 3903' (since you did tell me beforehand that you weren't much into classics (yet!) I'm not surprised you couldn't make out what that was...so you're spared! hehe)
Parked between the grey Amby and the black herald.

Quote:
I had a late breakfast that day and passed lumbini park around 11:30AM and quickly took a gander from the road and saw the rally ongoing but, since a friend and wifey were waiting in the car as we had to go someplace else, i didnt come inside the venue.
Aww man...! You could've just dropped in a second and said 'hi' na!
I could be assured that you sure wouldn't undergo the mesmerising effect the rest of us there did that'd make you stay back until like 3pm!
Old 28th January 2009, 11:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

This is a very nice collection of car's.
Old 29th January 2009, 01:35   #22
BHPian

Stanher: Thank you for the lovely pics. More pics of the bikes would have been nice (im always greedy for more).

I always wonder why dont vintage/classic bicycles/tricycles take part. I remember seeing a picture of a circa 1880s Triumph tricycle's which was from Delhi I guess. I have a well restored 1950s Raliegh Roadster 3-Speed. I've noticed that these are also soon becoming quite rare.

Last edited by TuffRyder : 29th January 2009 at 01:36.
Old 29th January 2009, 14:36   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
This pristine mk1 Amby with the rare double-pattis on either side seemed (atleast to me!) a first-timer. IMHO, the space between the side-trims painted in a different colour, would've made a more distinctive impact.
I was intrigued by it's hubcaps though- never seen anything like these! Anyone who did??
The Amby looks great. Those hubcaps were offered on some English cars from the Rootes Group if I remember right.

Quote:
.....followed by bike pics. ('didn't get to click those as much as I was more engrossed with the cars! 'did click what I felt stood out among the crowd)
Hyderabad never dissappoints when it comes to preservation of bikes. Remarkable to see so many in practically unmarked original paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Nice pix chettan! btw, the amby is a treat to see. The original twin beadings are almost extinct now. sadly, the car is not in its original shade, and the beadings are not complete. The original combos for this model, were blue with white stripe and black with white stripe.
Why do you say the shade is not original? I have seen many Mk1s in this colour, or am I missing something. Do you have a list of colours offered? Im not 100% certain that the double patti with contrasting colour was offered by the factory itself. I should think they were fitted at the dealer level, admittedly in large numbers. Am still hunting for a set for my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
I always wonder why dont vintage/classic bicycles/tricycles take part. I remember seeing a picture of a circa 1880s Triumph tricycle's which was from Delhi I guess. I have a well restored 1950s Raliegh Roadster 3-Speed. I've noticed that these are also soon becoming quite rare.
About a half dozen interesting cycles would come to the Pune events, but they don't turn up anymore. I don't think anybody appreceated them, which is a shame.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 29th January 2009 at 14:38.
Old 30th January 2009, 00:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
About a half dozen interesting cycles would come to the Pune events, but they don't turn up anymore. I don't think anybody appreceated them, which is a shame.
Yeah its a real shame. I recently came across a Vinent Firefly autocycle and a Robin Hood cycle; these are as rare as most vintages especially the early 1900s autocycles. There is a group that I met in Bangalore, mostly old men with a few youngsters, who meet up every weekend and they had some amazing cycles with them and are so well-versed about them too. They have their own weekly rides. For most of these old men, their cycles have been their first ride and has also remained their only ride. One of them in his 60s, has never ridden a motorcycle or driven a car but was tinkering a Beetle
Old 30th January 2009, 23:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pics Shyam, a visual treat. Great to see your pennant in full form !
Btw Karl, there was an Amby in Mumbai with those similar side trims as the grey one, till very recently. If i'm not mistaken she was green and white.
Old 31st January 2009, 12:33   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Lovely pics Shyam, a visual treat. Great to see your pennant in full form !
Btw Karl, there was an Amby in Mumbai with those similar side trims as the grey one, till very recently. If i'm not mistaken she was green and white.
Hmm, Gogiji mentioned he had one of similar description in the family years ago. Remember the number?
Old 31st January 2009, 15:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why do you say the shade is not original? I have seen many Mk1s in this colour, or am I missing something. Do you have a list of colours offered? Im not 100% certain that the double patti with contrasting colour was offered by the factory itself. I should think they were fitted at the dealer level, admittedly in large numbers. Am still hunting for a set for my car!
The cars came in only 2 combos, Blue n white, and black n white. It was from the factory, and not a dealer option. This info was given to me by the person who took delivery of mine in 1961. The other colours did not have a two tone optionl. But i've seen some cars with this grey and a dark greenis colour in the trim, but only in pix. Not a single car in kerala. And none of the old timers have seen nything in that shade either.
Old 31st January 2009, 15:49   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The cars came in only 2 combos, Blue n white, and black n white. It was from the factory, and not a dealer option. This info was given to me by the person who took delivery of mine in 1961. The other colours did not have a two tone optionl. But i've seen some cars with this grey and a dark greenis colour in the trim, but only in pix. Not a single car in kerala. And none of the old timers have seen nything in that shade either.
Well Im still positive the grey was offered originally. As with so many other things, until we have some more concrete details/documentation, we keep digging. Things would have been so much easier if PAL and HM had a heritage centre. Most will say both companies are exactly just that!
Old 31st January 2009, 15:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well Im still positive the grey was offered originally. As with so many other things, until we have some more concrete details/documentation, we keep digging. Things would have been so much easier if PAL and HM had a heritage centre. Most will say both companies are exactly just that!
even i'm sure that grey was offered originally, what i'm doubting is Grey with 2 tone.

Did these companies have any sort of colour cards or catalogs back then?
EDIT: do they have one now??
Old 31st January 2009, 16:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks hillram!

And now, complementing hillram's write-up with pics....

More pics. to follow.....!

I'M IN LOVE, AGAIN! ....
JUST DON'T TELL MY 62 FIAT 1100 DELUXE "BENGALI BLUE BULLET!

What's her name, age and all that good stuff, the #APF 4805 sitting next to the silver Mayflower?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st January 2009 at 16:57. Reason: Removed excessive quotes

Most Viewed