Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2009, 16:42   #1
BHPian

KOLKATA - '09 Tolly Club Car Show

The Tollygunge Club Car & Pet Show has become a big event drawing over 1500 visitors this year.

It is one of the best Car shows I have attended for it's relaxing Elegance, food and a great selection of Vintage, Classic and a few newer Cars, plus lots of friendly pets.

Thanks to some good advice from one of the members, I have been able to down size my photos, "bigger is NOT better" in this case. Thanks greatly!

ENJOY !
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - '09 Tolly Club Car Show-img_4379.jpg  

KOLKATA - '09 Tolly Club Car Show-img_4387.jpg  

Old 1st February 2009, 17:47   #2
BHPian

Well I Tried...still Have Some Sorting Out To Do. John
Old 1st February 2009, 21:51   #3
BHPian

dude i cant see any cars rather than food
Old 1st February 2009, 22:23   #4
BHPian

Slowly But Surely - Here Are Some More Photos.
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - '09 Tolly Club Car Show-img_4361.jpg  

KOLKATA - '09 Tolly Club Car Show-img_4362.jpg  

KOLKATA - '09 Tolly Club Car Show-img_4366.jpg  

Old 1st February 2009, 22:32   #5
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Ahh Mr. Momen's gems. John the green Gurney Nutting RR GRO59 remains till date the most beautiful RR I ever saw. His Bentley is stunning too and an ex Hyderabad car. Awaiting the pictures.

Vintage cars, pets, great cuisine and beautiful people...heady mix

This one sounds a bit like the Cartier event, minus the pets !

Last edited by DKG : 1st February 2009 at 22:36.
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Ahh Mr. Momen's gems. John the green Gurney Nutting RR GRO59 remains till date the most beautiful RR I ever saw. His Bentley is stunning too and an ex Hyderabad car. Awaiting the pictures.

I have all the cars just waiting to up-load once the boys from MACBOOK come visit. I've made a DVD of both the 08 Statesman Delhi Rally and the Tolly show and would be pleased to mail you a copy. Planned on doing one Sunday but was sick and missed it. Loved that old Mercedes!

I posted my concerns about the older cars being scrapped because of the penalty when not paying the road tax each year when they are not being used. Surprised that their has been only one response.

Did you notice it? "VINTAGE & CLASSIC CARS -AN ENDANGERED SPECIES"

Last edited by john a milne : 2nd February 2009 at 19:49. Reason: revision & correction got to get some new glasses
Old 3rd February 2009, 05:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Anybody have a rear end shot of the Momen (ex-Hyderabad) Bentley ?
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:47   #8
BHPian

A Bentley & A Rolls

I have a great front & rear shot which I will post as soon as I can reduce my file sizes.

It is indeed another exceptional car!
Here is a shot of the Rolls I would be happy to have in my Garage!
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - '09 Tolly Club Car Show-img_4368.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2009, 14:05   #9
BHPian

Tolly Car Show - Big Bentley

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I have a great front & rear shot which I will post as soon as I can reduce my file sizes.

It is indeed another exceptional car!
If at first you don't succeed!
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - '09 Tolly Club Car Show-img_4375.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2009, 14:11   #10
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Me too !! The last I saw this car it sported black wall tyres. Not too sure if I like these whitewalls. They kind of draw too much attention, away from a shape that is simply gorgeous

Interesting to note the Bentley is sporting a Janjira plate. Meaning the car went from Prince Mauzamjah in Hyderabad to the Nawab of Janjira and eventually to Mr. Momen?
Old 3rd February 2009, 23:01   #11
BHPian

kOLKATA - Tolly Car show

Quote:
Me too !! The last I saw this car it sported black wall tyres. Not too sure if I like these whitewalls. They kind of draw too much attention, away from a shape that is simply gorgeous

Interesting to note the Bentley is sporting a Janjira plate. Meaning the car went from Prince Mauzamjah in Hyderabad to the Nawab of Janjira and eventually to Mr. Momen?
Here's a front view of the big Bentley!
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - '09 Tolly Club Car Show-img_4370.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2009, 23:15   #12
BHPian

kOLKATA - Tolly Car show

Quote:
Here's a front view of the big Bentley!
ANOTHER FRONT END PHOTO FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE!
Old 4th February 2009, 12:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Travencore why does the bentely have Janjira written on it curious because there is a prinicpality called janjira near murud & kashid after Alhibaug on the Maharashtra coast. There is nawab of janjira who also has a fantastic palace on a cliff with a 190 degree view of the Arabian see and has a few/maybe one that i saw vintage fiat (prewar) wrotting away in a garage. I keep visiting andrecently was informed that the yound navab living in Mumbai wants to sell it/convert it into a worldclass resort truley fantastic location. Janjira by the way is a fortress in the middle of the sea some 15 to 20 km from shore and you can see it form the palace and adjacent village. The government now owns the midsea fort and one can take a picnic to it. truley exoitic visiuals not seen anywhere in india before if you google you can see. So is the car Hyderbad or Janjira in Maharashtra?
Old 4th February 2009, 16:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Travencore why does the bentely have Janjira written on it curious because there is a prinicpality called janjira near murud & kashid after Alhibaug on the Maharashtra coast. There is nawab of janjira who also has a fantastic palace on a cliff with a 190 degree view of the Arabian see and has a few/maybe one that i saw vintage fiat (prewar) wrotting away in a garage. I keep visiting andrecently was informed that the yound navab living in Mumbai wants to sell it/convert it into a worldclass resort truley fantastic location. Janjira by the way is a fortress in the middle of the sea some 15 to 20 km from shore and you can see it form the palace and adjacent village. The government now owns the midsea fort and one can take a picnic to it. truley exoitic visiuals not seen anywhere in india before if you google you can see. So is the car Hyderbad or Janjira in Maharashtra?
It is probably the same state/principality. It was not uncommon for cars to go from one state to another, either sold, but mostly gifted, part of dowri etc. So the Farman of Idar landed up in Bharatpur with one more state in between. Jhanjira also had the Wolsely which celebrated its official 100th birthday at the last VCCCI event. (Suggest someone check its age with engine chassis nos.) The car which you saw was probably another Wolsely, it has gone to Delhi. Janjira had many cars, all were sold off in some insolvency case.

About the Fort, shame on the Government and archeological department. These monkeys have ruined it. I was there last October, the fresh water lakes have been poisoned, the residential part has collapsed, anyone with even a little sense will see that a good cleaning is required immediately, thereafter conservatio/restoration. This is a good example of my earlier post that we do not care for our heritage.

I have met the Nawab a couple of times elsewhere, he lives in Central India. The fort has been taken over by the government, he has no say over there.
Old 4th February 2009, 16:44   #15
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
So is the car Hyderbad or Janjira in Maharashtra?
The car was originally ordered for the use of Prince Mauzamjah (son of the erstwhile Nizam of Hyderabad) and possibly subsequently may have gone to the Nawab of Janjira (yes this would be the same as Murud Janjira near Bombay)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks