Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 07:23   #211
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

In the early 91-92 a similar Nash Ambassador Eight was brought from Hindupur in Andhra Pradesh by one Ismail (now late.) for 1.25 lakhs. After tinkering with the car for some time it was sold to one Tandon in Mumbai. Part paid and balance to be paid when the AP Registered book was produced. Is this the same car?

The unique features of that car was

-> 8 Cylinder, OHV with dual ignition
-> One set of 8 plugs on the Block
-> One set of 8 plugs on the Head
-> Dual Delco Ignition with change over switch
-> Distributor cap had 16 outgoing wires
-> Maintenance free car as it had a huge oil jar (was broken) which was connected with pipes for lubricating the car
-> Single Carb
-> Differential was worm & wheel
-> Had the original Nash Box in the rear. I can still remember it.
-> Was dark green/black in colour if I remember. Paint was removed and red oxide painted

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:06   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
In the early 91-92 a similar Nash Ambassador Eight was brought from Hindupur in Andhra Pradesh by one Ismail (now late.) for 1.25 lakhs. After tinkering with the car for some time it was sold to one Tandon in Mumbai. Part paid and balance to be paid when the AP Registered book was produced. Is this the same car? Cheers KPS
Hi KPS,

This must be the same car. Tandon had one Nash, and this was it. Now you say the Hindupur was sold to Tandon, so we have a link. Whether the car came from Bhavnagar, we will not know. But it is not impossible for a car from Bhavnagar to be sold to Hyderabad. Do you have any pictures from that time?

Cheers harit
Old 3rd July 2010, 16:12   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Pictures of the Nash when in Mumbai were posted earlier in this thread here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1445960-post87.html
Old 5th July 2010, 14:34   #214
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pics of a very very original 34 Nash Ambassador Sedan that can be of use to the owner / restorer of the car in Delhi....Is this a RHD or LHD car and what is its regestration number ?

Check ou the neat rolled up blinds on the rear windows and the original door beadings, also note the very unusual treatment of the front door glass and the vent

This car is for sale in the US still on its original paint and with only 30,000 miles on its clock.

The car in the last picture is a different car.
Attached Thumbnails
Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-thumb.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-thumb-1.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-thumb-2.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-thumb-3.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-thumb-4.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-thumb-5.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-thumb-6.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-thumb-7.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-thumb-8.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-4308ef0aa5268.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 5th July 2010 at 14:37.
Old 7th July 2010, 06:34   #215
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi KPS,

This must be the same car. Tandon had one Nash, and this was it. Now you say the Hindupur was sold to Tandon, so we have a link. Whether the car came from Bhavnagar, we will not know. But it is not impossible for a car from Bhavnagar to be sold to Hyderabad. Do you have any pictures from that time?

Cheers harit
As per my discussion with Mr. Sreepathi, following are the details
  1. The car Number is APA 455
  2. Originally owned by one of the richest man in Hindupur who had a guava plantation as much as the eye could see!
  3. Car bought by now Late Ismail on 9th Dec 1994 through Mr. Sreepathi
  4. There was another a car, a 1950's Olds which still remains in Bangalore with the current owner
  5. Car was sold to Tandon Motor Garage and delivered on 4th Feb 98

I have in my possession the respective delivery notes to evidence the above

Hindupur is locate about 100 kms from Bangalore along the border of AP-Kar. There are no leads to suggest that this car originally came from Bhavnagar. Hopefully we should be able to find some snaps soon for posting

Cheers

KPS
Old 7th July 2010, 10:51   #216
Senior - BHPian

Hi KPS.

Nice to hear the history of this car but now it raises the question whether there were two of these cars in India, this Hindupur car and then the Bhavnagar.

Below are pics of an identical car , though in a rather bad state that are from Xoticars archives, would you think this is the same car from Hindupur ?

If not could you check and see what condition it was in when it was purchased from its original owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-wasifs1934nashambassadorfender.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-wasifs1934nashambassadorhood.jpg  

Old 7th July 2010, 17:44   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
As per my discussion with Mr. Sreepathi, following are the details
  1. The car Number is APA 455
  2. Car was sold to Tandon Motor Garage and delivered on 4th Feb 98
Hindupur is locate about 100 kms from Bangalore along the border of AP-Kar. There are no leads to suggest that this car originally came from Bhavnagar. Hopefully we should be able to find some snaps soon for posting Cheers KPS
Hi KPS,
The trick is to find to whom and where was the car registered before APA. You cannot imagine how cars shifted from one place to another, all over India. In Hyderabad there was a 6 cylinder Plymouth 7-seater which belonged to a pricess Niloufer, it was sold to Bombay. Even today many cars from south are in the north and vice-versa. Now that you have copies of the documentation, can you find when APA was first registered? I know of several Rajasthan royalty cars which ended up in Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi KPS.

Nice to hear the history of this car but now it raises the question whether there were two of these cars in India, this Hindupur car and then the Bhavnagar. Below are pics of an identical car , though in a rather bad state that are from Xoticars archives, would you think this is the same car from Hindupur? If not could you check and see what condition it was in when it was purchased from its original owner.
The Titus car was with Tandon, and Tandon got her from Hindupur. Would have been in the same condition as purchased from Hindupur, Tandon did very little on the car. I had a hint that this car came from Bhavnagar, this car was referred to. Have to wait for more feedback.

CHeers harit
Old 15th July 2010, 16:03   #218
BHPian

Dear Mr Jatti.Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is a FULL CLASSIC VINTAGE CLASSIC? And how many cars of such definations are in the titus museum?I believe most of the cars there are unique with an AUBURN 12 cylinder soon joining?Perhaps you can arrange a visit for me to the new museum premises ? lovely cars and nicer additions recently.CONGRATULATIONS
Old 16th July 2010, 10:51   #219
BHPian

Full Classic

Bulldogji,

I think what Mr.Jatti was trying to say is that the car is recognised by the CCCA as a full classic.(http://www.classiccarclub.org/our_club/classic_defined.html) Mr.Titus has been trying to stream line his collection based on this list.
In this process, I believe Mr.Titus is selling some very desireable cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Dear Mr Jatti.Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is a FULL CLASSIC VINTAGE CLASSIC? And how many cars of such definations are in the titus museum?I believe most of the cars there are unique with an AUBURN 12 cylinder soon joining?Perhaps you can arrange a visit for me to the new museum premises ? lovely cars and nicer additions recently.CONGRATULATIONS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCCA Approved Full Classics.pdf (245.8 KB, 661 views)
Old 16th July 2010, 12:43   #220
BHPian

Thanks Rollingart for the info from which i gather that this defination pertains only vis a vis a particular club in the US.And from their list i know of a large no of cars that can be classified as full classic in INDIA.So am further confused .How the lovely NASH becomes PROBABLY THE ONLY FULL CLASSIC in india?A beautiful car nevertheless .
Old 16th July 2010, 14:19   #221
BHPian

Yes, Bulldogji you are absolutely right, this list pertains only to the CCCA.
Again here, I think Mr.Jatti is saying that it is the only Nash in India which falls under the 'Full Classic' catgeory of the CCCA, but others from the forum will have to confirm this, I highly doubt it.

Quote:
Thanks Rollingart for the info from which i gather that this defination pertains only vis a vis a particular club in the US.And from their list i know of a large no of cars that can be classified as full classic in INDIA.So am further confused .How the lovely NASH becomes PROBABLY THE ONLY FULL CLASSIC in india?A beautiful car nevertheless .
Old 19th July 2010, 11:00   #222
BHPian

Quote:
with an AUBURN 12 cylinder soon joining?Perhaps you can arrange a visit for me to the new museum premises ? lovely cars and nicer additions recently.CONGRATULATIONS
Bulldogji, (or Mr.Jatti)

Tell us more about the Auburn 12 cylinder. News doing the rounds is that it was recently 'discovered' in Rajasthan.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:40   #223
BHPian

HI Rollingart,I think I know the whereabouts of the Auburn but in fairness it is for the owner to disclose or not .Privacy to be respected always. Over to Mr Jatti on behalf of the proud owner...
Old 25th July 2010, 23:04   #224
BHPian

1934 - Nash Ambassador

Quote:
The 1934 Nash Ambassador - Eight Series 1290 is the only "Full Classic" Nash in India.

The CCCA Approved List of Full Classic Cars recognizes only seven specific series of Nash as Full Classic. These are:

(i) 1930 Series 490
(ii) 1931 Series 890
(iii) 1932 Series 990 & 1090
(iv) 1933 Series 1190
(v) 1934 Series 1290
(vi) 1940 Sakhnoffsky Special Cabriolet.
Old 26th September 2010, 17:43   #225
Senior - BHPian

Here is a pic of a 1947 Studebaker Champion from the Kanpur rally this year -
Attached Thumbnails
Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-vivek-nigams-1947-studebaker-champion.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks