Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 17:03   #256
BHPian

Re: Studebaker and Nash Cars in India

stared at the car and kept checking her out for a good hour.
shes gorgeous
hats off
Old 24th March 2011, 02:53   #257

I was wondering what all the Studebaker junkies think about a 1956 Commander that I have recently come across. Its a project car and the first of many to come (I hope). This is the first classic I might just get to sink my teeth into.

Mechanically, the car is in pretty good shape but needs plenty cosmetic work (I have not actually seen it in person but comes from a reliable source). Any comments, criticism, sarcasm etc will be more than welcome.
Old 24th March 2011, 10:23   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucko96 View Post
I was wondering what all the Studebaker junkies think about a 1956 Commander that I have recently come across. Its a project car and the first of many to come (I hope). This is the first classic I might just get to sink my teeth into.

Mechanically, the car is in pretty good shape but needs plenty cosmetic work (I have not actually seen it in person but comes from a reliable source). Any comments, criticism, sarcasm etc will be more than welcome.
In general it would make a good starter restoration / fun car for you but any further comments, criticism or sarcasm would require detailed pictures.

Its very hard to critique anything without actually seeing it.

If you feel teh price is right go buy it other wise you will loose it and will regret later.

Buy at a fair price and restore well and you will have a winner which will also be a long term investment for you.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:17   #259
Senior - BHPian

My father and grand father have gone through more than a dozen of 56 commanders. The last one was scrapped along with a 56 belair and 35 vauxhall big 6 because there was no parking space at that time. The commanders are real fun cars to own and drive. Infact my father used to drive one of the cars to school. At night when they went racing on weekends to red road he used have an open exhaust. :-D
post some pictures if possible. If you don't take the car i wouldn't mind picking it up.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 24th March 2011 at 11:18.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:41   #260
Senior - BHPian

Got these photos of a Studebaker tourer from an old paper shop.
Car must have been in Andhra.
Note the towing hook.
Is she still around? Nice car.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-studebaker-03.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-studebaker-04.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-studebaker-05.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-studebaker-06.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 12:05   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Got these photos of a Studebaker tourer from an old paper shop.
Car must have been in Andhra.
Note the towing hook.
Is she still around? Nice car.
'thought this car looks familiar! Yes, its originally from Kakinada, Coastal Andhra and was bought by our team bhpian wasif (then at Hyd.) who sold it shortly. It's been featured here earlier:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1706642

In his photos the car appears to have deteriorated a bit- lost the canvas top and the headlight in the centre (add-on?)

Last edited by Stanher : 12th April 2011 at 12:07.
Old 12th April 2011, 13:03   #262
Senior - BHPian

Hey ...that is my Study but the pictures are from prior to the car coming to Hyderabad.

It was a very huge and imposing car, with great lines. Unfortunately the coastal weather had taken a toll on it making restoration a rather more involving job then what I was capable of doing then.

It was bought from and sold back to a reputed classic car collector / restorer in Hyderabad and last I saw it was painted deep bottle green / light green and was being finished.

I haven't heard what happened to it after. I would love to know if it was succesfully restored and to see current pictures. That would have been a real powerfull car with its huge 6 cylinder engine.
Old 12th April 2011, 13:57   #263
BHPian

Here are the pics of A Studebaker Rusting Away.. This Particular Car was used in the Movie "Deewar" in the Last Scene when Amitabh goes to Meet his Mother at the Temple..

Never Used after the Movie, Original Engine, Lot of Trim Missing..

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-studbaker-commander-1956-frontweb.jpg

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-studbaker-commander-1956-rearweb.jpg

Shreeram
Old 12th April 2011, 14:57   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Here are the pics of A Studebaker Rusting Away.. This Particular Car was used in the Movie "Deewar" in the Last Scene when Amitabh goes to Meet his Mother at the Temple..

Never Used after the Movie, Original Engine, Lot of Trim Missing..
Sorry the Deewar car was a '56 Chevy Bel-air and not a Studey! You can find out by comparing with these pics.:

Refining Legend: The 1956 Chevy Bel Air
Old 12th April 2011, 15:01   #265
BHPian

Is it so.. maybe.. The Cars Registration Number in the Movie was BML 6199 Lets see. I will check with the owner and get the registration Details of this car.
Old 12th April 2011, 15:44   #266
BHPian

I don't clearly remember the car that Amitabh drives up the steps of the temple in the last scene, and tumbles out in his wounded state leaving the headlights glowing - but I seem to faintly recollect that it indeed was a Chevy Belair/210. However, in an earlier frame, where Shashi Kapoor is hanging on to the car, on the roof, AB was driving a Stude Champion as far as I remember, and not a Commander that this one is (can't see tell-tale signs of a President where the missing trims would otherwise have been).
Old 12th April 2011, 16:17   #267
BHPian

I Just Saw the Movie..(For the First Time Closely) The car in the Last scene sure does not look like a Studebaker. Maybe the owner must have mistaken the Name of the Movie. He is 85..
Old 12th April 2011, 21:37   #268
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while passing by vaccha petrol pump on Peddar road, managed to get a fleeting glimpse of a Red Studebaker two door coupe, the front grill was very similar to that of a Golden hawk with lot of trim on the side, unfortunately I was in a traffic jam on the opposite side of the road (couldnt even open my car door to get out) and could'nt see the registration. Never seen the car in Bombay before.

Any one know about this car?
Old 13th April 2011, 09:45   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Yesterday while passing by vaccha petrol pump on Peddar road, managed to get a fleeting glimpse of a Red Studebaker two door coupe, the front grill was very similar to that of a Golden hawk with lot of trim on the side, unfortunately I was in a traffic jam on the opposite side of the road (couldnt even open my car door to get out) and could'nt see the registration. Never seen the car in Bombay before.

Any one know about this car?
You probably saw Captain's Flight Hawk/Power Hawk (I forget which). CP registered, very handsome car.
Old 13th April 2011, 10:59   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Is it so.. maybe.. The Cars Registration Number in the Movie was BML 6199 Lets see. I will check with the owner and get the registration Details of this car.
If I remember right the car you posted was MP registered, though I haven't seen it in years so I'm not sure. I do remember it had a badly cracked windscreen. In the compound were various VW split window vans being readied for sale overseas.

Most Viewed