Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 19:04   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
A very nice catch indeed.Well i don't think this is a commander.This car looks more like a 1948 Land cruiser.See the doors,the lights and the front end.I am attaching some pictures below of the Land Cruiser.One more thing and that is this car is a sedan(4door) and the commander and the champion both of this time were coupes(2 door).If you remember one more thing and that is when you look at the car infront on the right side next to the Studebaker badge did you see land cruiser written or commander?
That is not true, 4 doors were definitely offered. Lights at front end too.

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-194820studebaker06_jpg.jpg

1948 Studebaker Brochure / 1948 Studebaker-06.jpg
Old 10th November 2009, 19:06   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Attachment 225485

Karl could you post a pic of the rear.
Old 10th November 2009, 23:22   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Attachment 225485

I think this junked one I spotted here is a similar model?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1357688-post2146.html
Old 10th November 2009, 23:46   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I think this junked one I spotted here is a similar model?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1357688-post2146.html

That is a 1947-48 model but not sure if it is a Commander,land cruiser or a Champion because we could have made that out from the front but since we have the side we cannot say for sure what it is.
Old 11th November 2009, 00:32   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is a 1947-48 model but not sure if it is a Commander,land cruiser or a Champion because we could have made that out from the front but since we have the side we cannot say for sure what it is.
True. But if you look closely at the door handles on the junked car, they are identical to the commander in the pic. posted by Karl. So could be one?
Old 11th November 2009, 01:48   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. But if you look closely at the door handles on the junked car, they are identical to the commander in the pic. posted by Karl. So could be one?

Shyam,

Look at the pics below where i have compared the distance between the doors (width of the B piller) for the junked car,48 land cruiser ,48 commander (uploaded by karl),48 champion.

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-img_3207.jpg

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-1948studebakerlandcruiser64.jpg

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-studebaker-commander.jpg

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-1948-studebaker-champion.jpg

Now the thing to note is the width of the B piller of the junked car and the others don't really match.The others are a bit wider (mayb wrong).Now the door handles and the plate kindof things behind it of the junked car match the commander and the champion.The thing i tried to make out fromt he junked car picture is wheather the door is not alighned properly and as a resulst the width is not match any of these but it dosen't seem so by looking at the picture.Please put in your inputs as well.
Old 11th November 2009, 02:09   #127
Senior - BHPian

Another thing i noticed is that all the four cars you will notice that the land cruiser has a quater glass on the rear door where as the other three don't.So I think the junked car is not a land cruiser.It is possibly a commander or a champion.
Old 11th November 2009, 09:41   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now the door handles and the plate kindof things behind it of the junked car match the commander and the champion.
Quote:
Another thing i noticed is that all the four cars you will notice that the land cruiser has a quater glass on the rear door where as the other three don't.So I think the junked car is not a land cruiser.It is possibly a commander or a champion.
That's what I too think. The junked car has to be either a Commander or a Champion. Definitely not a Landcruiser.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:03   #129
Senior - BHPian

Guys.

The car rotting away is a Champion and the other is a Commander.Neither of them are Land Cruisers.

I know this cause I have see both of them close up in person.

There were no Land Cruisers in Hyderabad in those days.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:58   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Guys.

The car rotting away is a Champion and the other is a Commander.Neither of them are Land Cruisers.

I know this cause I have see both of them close up in person.

There were no Land Cruisers in Hyderabad in those days.
Could you then share a bit on their history

Especially the junked one?

Incidentally, I'd reckoned the navy blue ADX one belonged to the Cherma's collection. 'could be wrong too.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:49   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you then share a bit on their history

Especially the junked one?

Incidentally, I'd reckoned the navy blue ADX one belonged to the Cherma's collection. 'could be wrong too.
The blue car used to belong to a mechanic near OU. He was a great source for Jeep parts Maybe the car was sold on to the Chermas people but I don't think they sell any of their cars.

I don't know any history for teh junked car excapt that it was lying in a workshop without any documentation
Old 11th November 2009, 14:47   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
BTW ther was an identical President in Hyderabad too but in gray and cream colours with a WBE reg any idea whose it was prior to its arrival in Hyd. It may have been 4429
I once heard, there was a Studebaker lying unused near Basant Talkies near Kachiguda in Hyderabad. I immediately went around in look out for that car. When I reached that spot, I could not locate and theater around there. Came back and took the exact location of the theater from my dad who knew the existance of Basant talkies many many years ago. My dad further mentioned it was converted into Basant Function Hall!!! I ventured out again but could not find it.

Any one here heard about it? Hillram, shyam, DKG... anyone?
Old 11th November 2009, 19:26   #133
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Indrojit for your pics that you had promised to put up. The car looks in much better conditio9n than what i had got it in but it was upgraded in the interior department. When I sold it it was as good but then i saw this car later, there was something fallen on the roof from the place where it was parked in, the body had started accumulating a lot of rust and a few side aluminium strips and all wheel caps and side mirror were also missing (possibly kept in the boot)
Old 11th November 2009, 20:13   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I once heard, there was a Studebaker lying unused near Basant Talkies near Kachiguda in Hyderabad.
My dad further mentioned it was converted into Basant Function Hall!!! I ventured out again but could not find it.
Any one here heard about it? Hillram, shyam, DKG... anyone?
Nope sir, I've never even heard of it either! Where exactly in Kachiguda were you told this was? Any landmarks? I reckon even if the place still does exist, the car would've been taken away from there by now.
Old 11th November 2009, 20:35   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks Indrojit for your pics that you had promised to put up. The car looks in much better conditio9n than what i had got it in but it was upgraded in the interior department. When I sold it it was as good but then i saw this car later, there was something fallen on the roof from the place where it was parked in, the body had started accumulating a lot of rust and a few side aluminium strips and all wheel caps and side mirror were also missing (possibly kept in the boot)

Thank you gogi ji for sharing this with us.Do ytou know who the current owner is of that car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks