Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 23:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

Now we know about Indian Hawks:
Golden Hawk Calcutta
Golden Hawk Pune
Red Hawk ( its colour, not name) in Mumbai.
Indrojit has to surf the net and scan in Hemmings to find trims. For my 1954 Packard it took me one and a half years to get a grill.
Never ever give up.

Cheers harit
Old 4th August 2009, 22:02   #62
Senior - BHPian

Studebaker President

One from my archives, was offered to me a long time ago. Does anyone else know of other surviving presidents?
Attached Thumbnails
Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-dscn0434.jpg  

Last edited by the mole : 4th August 2009 at 22:03.
Old 5th August 2009, 02:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
One from my archives, was offered to me a long time ago. Does anyone else know of other surviving presidents?

Well no offence but this thread i guess is for just the hawks i guess you should post it in the thread which is for lost and found vintage/classic.Well i don't mean to offend you though.

Any idea though is it a early 50's car ?
Old 5th August 2009, 11:03   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well no offence but this thread i guess is for just the hawks i guess you should post it in the thread which is for lost and found vintage/classic.Well i don't mean to offend you though.Any idea though is it a early 50's car ?
Amol, there are a few Stude Presidents around still, but I have seen more of them in the '56-57 body style. In this shape I've seen more Champions and Commanders, which of course far outnumber the Presi in all the models anyways. The '58 President I'd think would be really rare in these parts.

This is a 1955 model. Indrojit, hope you don't mind the non-Hawk post of mine too - thought I'd take the liberty since you've also asked a question about it!
Old 5th August 2009, 11:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Amol, there are a few Stude Presidents around still, but I have seen more of them in the '56-57 body style. In this shape I've seen more Champions and Commanders, which of course far outnumber the Presi in all the models anyways. The '58 President I'd think would be really rare in these parts.

This is a 1955 model. Indrojit, hope you don't mind the non-Hawk post of mine too - thought I'd take the liberty since you've also asked a question about it!
No problem at all just thought that the posts don't get deleted by the mods or being moved to another thread.Never a problem for any vintage/classic car ever.Its not my thread sir its for sharing with others and learning about stuff.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 5th August 2009 at 12:02.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:57   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well no offence but this thread i guess is for just the hawks i guess you should post it in the thread which is for lost and found vintage/classic.Well i don't mean to offend you though.

Any idea though is it a early 50's car ?
Well Indrojit sorry if I may have intruded on your thread, but In my opinion some rare marques or even other marques do not merit opening new threads for different models within the marque, infact I am sure people with interest in Studebaker marque would rather see it here than elsewhere. There is just not enough matter within India on Hawks to have a thread exclusively dedicated to it.

Infact as a suggestion we should have a singular thread for the StudeBaker Marque as there are very less cars to merit individual threads, unless you intend to keep this as a thread about the restoration of your car.In which case if the moderators want they can take off the image and move it to a suitable location. "More Rust in Pieces" thread than "Lost and found"
Old 6th August 2009, 01:34   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well Indrojit sorry if I may have intruded on your thread, but In my opinion some rare marques or even other marques do not merit opening new threads for different models within the marque, infact I am sure people with interest in Studebaker marque would rather see it here than elsewhere. There is just not enough matter within India on Hawks to have a thread exclusively dedicated to it.

Infact as a suggestion we should have a singular thread for the StudeBaker Marque as there are very less cars to merit individual threads, unless you intend to keep this as a thread about the restoration of your car.In which case if the moderators want they can take off the image and move it to a suitable location. "More Rust in Pieces" thread than "Lost and found"
Sir i do not own any thread here.There is no question of anyone intruding in anyones thread here.We are here to learn from each other,so anyone telling anyone about something or correcting anyone about someone is surely going to happen.Agreed with you that its not worth opening another thread in which case we should rename the thread to Studebakers in India and not specificly to Hawks.As far as me keeping this thread for the restoration of my car,I will upload it here or on any other thread which is suitable.Sir since the name of the thread says STUDEBAKER HAWKS IN INDIA that is why i said that mayb since the location of the car is not known we could just put it in "lost and found".

I had or have no intensions to put anyone down.This is a forum for all of us to learn something from each other than to fight over small issues like this.I hope i didn't offend you,it was just a suggestion thats it.
Old 6th August 2009, 09:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had or have no intensions to put anyone down.This is a forum for all of us to learn something from each other than to fight over small issues like this.I hope i didn't offend you,it was just a suggestion thats it.
No offence taken my friend just a suggestion that maybe you should start a thread which is focused on the restoration of your hawk (Since your the only person on the forum who owns a hawk), that way we can all learn from your restoration techniques and approaches. At the same time you can post period manuals, literature related to the hawk etc. The other hawk thread we can just convert to a general Studebaker thread maybe?..I wonder if the moderators are listening.
Old 6th August 2009, 15:14   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offence taken my friend just a suggestion that maybe you should start a thread which is focused on the restoration of your hawk (Since your the only person on the forum who owns a hawk), that way we can all learn from your restoration techniques and approaches. At the same time you can post period manuals, literature related to the hawk etc. The other hawk thread we can just convert to a general Studebaker thread maybe?..I wonder if the moderators are listening.

Well no problem even if its a studebaker thread i can still post the restoration over here it really doesn't matter.Well i am looking for parts for the car before starting all the major restoration work.Yes i shall try and post stuff related to the car over here.Well Wasif has helped me a lot for looking for the parts and i have found some of them though but they are at sky high prices for second hand parts.Since we are both Studebaker lovers why don't we start a new thread dedicated to only Studebaker what say?
Old 7th August 2009, 00:59   #70
Senior - BHPian

Why not make this a Studebaker thread to include Erskine's?
Could be renamed something like 'Studebakers in India, from Golden Hawk to.....
BTW, which is the oldest 'Study' in India? I have a 1918 tourer, Solanki has one of around 1912 or so. That car came with a BOM registration!!
And there are many Study's in India. As there are only 3 to 4 Hawks in India, this thread may fade into the background.
Please give some thought.

Cheers harit
Old 7th August 2009, 15:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Why not make this a Studebaker thread to include Erskine's?
Could be renamed something like 'Studebakers in India, from Golden Hawk to.....
BTW, which is the oldest 'Study' in India? I have a 1918 tourer, Solanki has one of around 1912 or so. That car came with a BOM registration!!
And there are many Study's in India. As there are only 3 to 4 Hawks in India, this thread may fade into the background.
Please give some thought.

Cheers harit

Ya that is a good idea!
Old 7th August 2009, 22:06   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Ya that is a good idea!
Being a Studebaker lover for 50 years and owning a 32 Stude Rochne Roadster, a 1963 Hardtop and two 64 coupes, one fitted up with a chevy V8, i am delighted to see this thread on the Hawks and concur that it should be opened up to include this important piece of automotive history.

When i was researching the correct colour for my 62 Fiat 1100 deluxe, the Fiat Club of England suggested I contact one of their members who now lives in New York, Manny Motashaw originally from Calcutta. He was a great help and has some great cars both in England and in New York.

He sent me some photos of two of his cars, a Chevy coupe with 14,000 miles and his 53 Stude hardtop that makes my mouth water and heart ship a beat. He has a Fiat 1100 and a few Citrons that are tucked away in England.

Thought you would enjoy these photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-saratoga.03_2.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-chevy-commander.03.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-chevy-commander.03_2.jpg  

Old 13th August 2009, 21:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Being a Studebaker lover for 50 years and owning a 32 Stude Rochne Roadster, a 1963 Hardtop and two 64 coupes, one fitted up with a chevy V8, i am delighted to see this thread on the Hawks and concur that it should be opened up to include this important piece of automotive history.

When i was researching the correct colour for my 62 Fiat 1100 deluxe, the Fiat Club of England suggested I contact one of their members who now lives in New York, Manny Motashaw originally from Calcutta. He was a great help and has some great cars both in England and in New York.

He sent me some photos of two of his cars, a Chevy coupe with 14,000 miles and his 53 Stude hardtop that makes my mouth water and heart ship a beat. He has a Fiat 1100 and a few Citrons that are tucked away in England.

Thought you would enjoy these photos.
Well the car you posted are truely amazing.They look brand new.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th August 2009 at 23:12. Reason: Thread renamed & other studebaker thread merged here as well!
Old 15th August 2009, 19:28   #74
Senior - BHPian

There are 3 hawks which are there and another one is believed to be present.Let try and trace some good stude's.I wonder how many Erskine's,avanti's and larks exist in India today.

I know of a Erskine in jaipur and i guess harit has a 1918 tourer.Could we get to see some pics and details and information about these cars?
Please help us trace some cars after all we are all here to help each other and increase each others knowledge.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 15th August 2009 at 19:32.
Old 15th August 2009, 23:10   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are 3 hawks which are there and another one is believed to be present.Let try and trace some good stude's.I wonder how many Erskine's,avanti's and larks exist in India today.

I know of a Erskine in jaipur and i guess harit has a 1918 tourer.Could we get to see some pics and details and information about these cars?
Please help us trace some cars after all we are all here to help each other and increase each others knowledge.
Erskine: At least 3 cars, maybe 4. Jaipur, Lonavala (owner from Mumbai) and one more I am privy to.
Avanti: none known to me, always expect a surprise.
Lark: what to tell you, there was one in Mumbai blasted in a movie

Solanki of Mumbai has one of around 1914.
There are many of the twenties. Tomorrow will start posting pics of Studebakers in India.
One collector in Lonavalla had 2, now 1, which he took to Australia for a rally.
Aapro Awini has one.
Guys, keep them coming, there are so many. And post war, there are dozens.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks