Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2009, 00:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Beauties lying with dust. Once age is over whether human being or any non living things they get very little care. People simply forget that amount of service it rendered to them in past.

Few years back I happened to see many such old vintage cars were lying in Bokaro Steel City (Jharkhand) and Jamshedpur (Tatanagar, Jharkhand). Why? People used to buy those old cars, transfer those cars in their name and claim 4 wheeler allowances from company. People used to buy these cars in the range of 5K - 10K, only for claiming allowances. They never bothered even once to crank those cars.

I suggest all vintage car enthusiast to visit these places in order to find some cars of their choice.
Old 1st May 2009, 21:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Predator's classic hunt - Part I

Being a Kolkattan, I have been seen many vintage beauties lying around the city since childhood. Till about 5 years back, a day's outing in Kolkata would fetch you countless views of Amby's, Landmasters, Padminis and 1100s. There would even be the old Bengali doctor put-putting around in a 50s Morris Minor or Austin Cambridge. Question him and he would tell you that the car had been bought when he started his practice, and he was too nostalgic to sell it.

In the last 5 years however, the city's automotive landscape underwent a sea change. A rumour surfaced that the state government was passing a law whereby all vehicles more than 15 years would have to be taken off the road, unconditionally! Overnight Bengalis all around the city sold off their prized possessions of many years. The prized cars went to collectors around the country, while most unlucky cars were scrapped. Even the Mk2 Ambassador taxis which were soldiering on with minor repairs vanished. From a scenario where classics were strewn around the city, Kolkata has progressed to a city where the modern automobile rules.

Anyway, a few months earlier I saw John do something which we, far younger than him, had written off as a lost cause - go around the city looking for its last surviving classics. Some people may feel his is a lost cause, but I have supported his enthusiasm from day one. Unfortunately, a young corporate banker's life (that too in a recession) does not spare that much time to follow his hobbies. Now that I finally have an extended weekend, I have taken an effort to add to John's contributions to this thread in my limited capacity. May the Kolkata vintage enthusiast's community grow.

The first car I found languishing in an apartment garage in South Kolkata. Securely locked in its own small "cage", the car was rusting away. The body is too rusted, headlights and tailights are all missing. However, the overall fastback coupe profile seem to suggest a Ford Capri Mk2 (photo of stock Capri courtesy Wikipedia) of the mid 70s. Note the shape of the bonnet, high on both sides and lower in the middle. However, no Capri I know has those comsetic strips (see the 3rd pic) below the rear quarter glass. Can anybody help me identifying the car?

The owner of the car was not at home. However, the apartment watchman, who has been serving for the last 38 years, seemed incredibly passionate about the car. He claims the car was earlier owned by Kishore Kumar. It is languishing there for the last 2 years, and the owner refuses to sell it to anyone. However, he has seen it doing full fledged road duty before that, and remembers a trip to the airport where he was impressed by the car's speed and silent AC. He has agreed to arrange an appointment with the owner on Monday. Will try to find out more about the car then.
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02577.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02578.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02579.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02581.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-ford_capri_mk2_1974.jpg  

predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2009, 21:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
The first car I found languishing in an apartment garage in South Kolkata. Securely locked in its own small "cage", the car was rusting away. The body is too rusted, headlights and tailights are all missing. However, the overall fastback coupe profile seem to suggest a Ford Capri Mk2 (photo of stock Capri courtesy Wikipedia) of the mid 70s. Note the shape of the bonnet, high on both sides and lower in the middle. However, no Capri I know has those comsetic strips (see the 3rd pic) below the rear quarter glass. Can anybody help me identifying the car?
Wow, we appear to have a Comaro there

Long time no see - Pumping iron - Business Standard Motoring
Old 1st May 2009, 21:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

This 1950 Morris Minor Series MM belongs to an old govt servant residing in Salt Lake. Many years ago his neighbour's son used to be my best friend, and I remember him using this as his daily driver whenever I visited my friend.

Today I was surprised to see the car still there. I walked in and spoke to the old man. He doesnt remember me now, but his unending passion for the car quickly broke the ice between us. He is too old to drive now, and uses a chauffer driven Amby for his outings. The car however is pretty well maintained. The interiors are clean, most of the mechanicals seem in running order. The exteriors, though battle worn, dont seem to have any significant rust areas. He claims all the car needs is a new battery, to be up and running around again.

Sadly, an offer to buy the car fell and restore it fell on deaf ears. He has owned this car for 60 years, and will see it to his death. Quite sarcastically, he offered to give me his daughter's number, who I may contact once he passes away!

I said no, thanked him and walked away with a heavy heart, feeling sad for the old man. Even after him, his spirit will always live in the car.
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02584.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02586.jpg  

predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2009, 21:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ok, now to take a break from emotions! Nothing so nostalgic about this 1984 Toyota Sprinter. Its been lying around in Salt Lake for about a year. Again, no significant rust, the interiors are intact, fresh set of tyres and mechanicals seem to be in place. Seems a nice choice for someone looking for a trouble free, not-too-old, everyday runabout.

Tracing the owner was not too difficult. His watchman confirmed tht he is looking to sell this car. However, he is out of town currently and will be back on Sunday. Watch this space.

In fact, watch this space anyway, as Predator promises to continue his classic hunt in and around Kolkata in days to come. Interesting hobby this!
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02582.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02583.jpg  

Old 1st May 2009, 22:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Belongs to family who have it stored in their lumber yard close to our flat.
I doubt they will sell based on last conversation but will stop by and check.

Hi PreditorWheelz

I didn't have a chance to stop by and check if they wanted to sell it.
The lumber yard is located on the north side of Hazra a few blocks east of Landsdown. Try and speak to the older gentleman in the office. Their office is on the left of the passage into the workshop and lumber storage, with the show room on the right side.

If you do make a trip to visit, there are more cars in the area to look at.

1. I had posted photos of a cream Merc, Dodge & Morris Minor parked in a garage which is close to the lumberyard. Take the first street east of the lumber yard running south and on your left about 300 ft is the garage. I posted the owners name and phone number, might be worth a call.
2. On the north side of Hazra west of landsdown parked out side is an old late 30's Austin.
3. On the south side of Hazra in the same area is another Austin parked in a car park with gates.

So pleased you are doing a "walkabout" seeing what old cars are around and posting them.

When I return we will have spend some time cruising to gether!
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4891.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4890.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4886.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4871.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-13.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_3136.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-8.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-2.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2009, 00:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
The first car I found languishing in an apartment garage in South Kolkata. However, the overall fastback coupe profile seem to suggest a Ford Capri Mk2 (photo of stock Capri courtesy Wikipedia) of the mid 70s. Note the shape of the bonnet, high on both sides and lower in the middle. However, no Capri I know has those comsetic strips (see the 3rd pic) below the rear quarter glass. Can anybody help me identifying the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

This is an early 70s Chevrolet Vega. Could also be the Pontiac Astre - badge engineering only essentially. Anyways, no amount of pumping iron can help transform her into a Camaro!

Last edited by Prabal : 2nd May 2009 at 00:40. Reason: Copied pic in frame for reference
Old 2nd May 2009, 01:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
This is an early 70s Chevrolet Vega. Could also be the Pontiac Astre - badge engineering only essentially. Anyways, no amount of pumping iron can help transform her into a Camaro!
Forgive me sir, they looked uncanilly similar. Skoda Octavia/Old Superb anyone?

If I remember right I had confused these two earlier as well on the guess the car thread. And they say lightening doesn't strike twice in the same place!
Old 2nd May 2009, 01:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Not a camaro but a Chevy Vega, as Prabal pointed out. Looks miles away from the Capri, especially its round lights.

The Vega pics below should make it easier to identify.

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-chevy-vega.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-chevy-vega-2.jpg
Old 4th May 2009, 12:22   #25
BHPian

Vegas are a Rare car now,even in their home USA. The engine was a short lived OHC four with nical cylinders. Once the engine wore out,the car was supposed to traded in and scrapped. The throw away society at it's most rampant I am afraid.
The reason that Vega is parked would be because the radiator has failed and probably taken the engine out with it.
The bigger version,the Monza was a available with the First Chev V6,or V8 and were very popular for a while.
It would be an interesting car to restore but a lot of shopping on ebay would be neccesary to pick up enough parts to get the engine running again.
Vega World
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-32v.jpg  

Old 4th May 2009, 13:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

@ John - Thank you John. Will definitely go check out the cars you mentioned, especially the Consul that I'm so interested in. Incidentally, the garage you mentioned (Sen's garage, isnt it?) is well known to us. Our family is originally from the Ballygunge/Panditia area, and my father happens to know the owner well.

@Karl - It could not have been the Camaro anyway. Note that the car (in the link you pasted) had no rear quarter glass, and the hood was raised in the middle. The car in question has a hood that lowers in the middle. I'm not aware of any Camaro model that has a lowered hood.

@Prabal, V-16 & Star Man - Thank you for your inputs. It is definitely a Chevrolet Vega.

I am going today to meet the owner. A question to all the experts on the forum: In the event that he does agree to sell the car, is this a worthwhile restoration? The whole body is badly rusted, and I have not seen the condition of the mechanicals. The scenario that Star man has predicted is very possible.

Also, have done a little more classic hunting this Sunday. Give me a few days to upload the pics.

Its an addictive hobby. So far I have only explored classics which are either part of someone's collection, or being restored at someone's garage. But this sort of one-off hunting is unique. Every car has a story attached to it, and meeting the owner gives me a chance to relive the journey that the vehicle and owner have been through.
Old 4th May 2009, 18:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

that austin has nagaland registration.!
Old 4th May 2009, 18:38   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
that austin has nagaland registration.!
'Tis a Morris 8 actually, not an Austin.
Old 5th May 2009, 01:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going today to meet the owner. A question to all the experts on the forum: In the event that he does agree to sell the car, is this a worthwhile restoration? The whole body is badly rusted, and I have not seen the condition of the mechanicals. The scenario that Star man has predicted is very possible.

Also, have done a little more classic hunting this Sunday. Give me a few days to upload the pics.

Its an addictive hobby. So far I have only explored classics which are either part of someone's collection, or being restored at someone's garage. But this sort of one-off hunting is unique. Every car has a story attached to it, and meeting the owner gives me a chance to relive the journey that the vehicle and owner have been through.
Seeing no reply to this post and being high handed and arrogant, I thought that I would offer my 5 bits though unsolicited. Please excuse.

Ok, now the joke is over.

I personally would not take this car for free unless I could sell off and get some funds for more worthy projects. Just remember, some cars become rare because they were so attrocious, total flops. This project would only waste resources. Karl may remember that a similar car, red in colour was thrown on the road in Pune, a street parallel to East/Main street towards camp side.
One suggestion. When you go and meet people to talk about their old cars, always talk about cars their family has had in the past and ask if they have photos. I have met 100's of people like this and there is always something interesting to hear.
Go ahead, meet people and collect their stories.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 5th May 2009 at 01:23.
Old 5th May 2009, 01:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

one of my favorite cars is here to be scrapped or for sale at a local scrapyard.
just wished if it was in my garage.
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-040509_155418.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-040509_155435.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks