Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 02:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
one of my favorite cars is here to be scrapped or for sale at a local scrapyard.
just wished if it was in my garage.
Woooooooooaah!! Another Standard Pennant!

I'm surprised to see more turning up from different parts of the country!

Good (and surprised) to know that it's your favourite!

The car still looks salvageable, just missing most of the cosmetics, namely the side-trims.

Do go for it, or else atleast let's see if someone else can! I'm sure Behram Dhabhar would be more than interested, if it has papers etc. intact.

If not, atleast do try and get some parts off it that are possible to take- I (and I'm sure Karl) would surely be interested!

Whatever it is, DO NOT delay
Old 5th May 2009, 14:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

there is nothing to take from it except the front badge. the horn button is not there, the metres are not working & probably not original, the wheelcaps are missing & last but not the least NO PAPERS.
Old 5th May 2009, 15:10   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
there is nothing to take from it except the front badge. the horn button is not there, the metres are not working & probably not original, the wheelcaps are missing & last but not the least NO PAPERS.
NOTHING to take from it??! Dude, you kidding?!

Of course there IS a lot! despite the missing stuff you mention (plus the side-trims)

The front grille seems fully intact, ALL the glass is there, all door handles (which I need badly) and both dicky handles, both the tail-lights (yes, those are original, and the covers look brand-new), plus front and rear bumpers.....I dont mind having even the wheel rims, doors, bonnet and bootlid (if not too corroded)
Reg. meters, I can confirm only if you can provide some interior pics. But it must be having the original dash for sure, as none else would fit for it.
If that is complete otherwise, I would like it.

Too bad it has no papers (have you verified this for sure from them btw?)

But on the bright side, it has a lot of parts to donate!

Your help in obtaining these parts would be unforgettable for people like us who have to hunt around for most of these parts!

So DO talk to the guy ASAP about these
Old 5th May 2009, 15:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

the thing all the cars which come here are without papers always. i posted a '67 very original 1100D but without papers. but sometimes some rich dudes do take these cars & do 'whatever' with them. also these scrap guys charge a huge money for the cars. but i really want the badge, let's see.
Old 5th May 2009, 17:43   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the thing all the cars which come here are without papers always. i posted a '67 very original 1100D but without papers. but sometimes some rich dudes do take these cars & do 'whatever' with them. also these scrap guys charge a huge money for the cars. but i really want the badge, let's see.
I want it all the more badly, if it indeed the original one!

But anyways, ok, agreed it doesn't have papers! Which is why as I said, the parts can be really useful.

I definitely would like to have the door handles and boot/bonnet hinges, and the tail-lights atleast
Old 6th May 2009, 15:13   #36
BHPian

Any news on the Chevy Vega? I would like to get my hands on it if possible!!!
Old 6th May 2009, 16:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I personally would not take this car for free unless I could sell off and get some funds for more worthy projects. Just remember, some cars become rare because they were so attrocious, total flops. This project would only waste resources.

One suggestion. When you go and meet people to talk about their old cars, always talk about cars their family has had in the past and ask if they have photos. I have met 100's of people like this and there is always something interesting to hear.
Go ahead, meet people and collect their stories.

Cheers harit
Thank you, sir. That is useful information. Will keep this in mind when I go on my next hunt.

Quote:
sometimes some rich dudes do take these cars & do 'whatever' with them.
Amit, would like to know "what" exactly rich dudes do with old cars!

Jokes apart, is this a scrapper you mentioned in Khidderpore area? No offence meant, but in case you dont want to go, you can give me the location. Would be happy to check out whether what Stanher wants is available. Since I'm not a rich dude, I will not do anything else with the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Any news on the Chevy Vega? I would like to get my hands on it if possible!!!
Think twice about it.

I have personally seen the car. As said already, the whole body is rusted, all lights and cosmetic parts are missing, and even the mechanicals could be gone as Star Man pointed out.

The owner is like an oasis in the desert. He exists, but everytime I go there, I'm told he cant be seen. Plus he has already refused to sell the car to some people before.

Read Harit's comments on the futility of restoring this car.

However, if you are still interested, I wouldnt mind paying another visit.
Old 6th May 2009, 18:33   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Jokes apart, is this a scrapper you mentioned in Khidderpore area? No offence meant, but in case you dont want to go, you can give me the location. Would be happy to check out whether what Stanher wants is available.
Thanks a lot, PW! Yes, in case amit is not in a position to go, I'd be glad if you could go check it out for the parts!
Old 6th May 2009, 22:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, sir. That is useful information. Will keep this in mind when I go on my next hunt.

Jokes apart, is this a scrapper you mentioned in Khidderpore area? No offence meant, but in case you dont want to go, you can give me the location. Would be happy to check out whether what Stanher wants is available. Since I'm not a rich dude, I will not do anything else with the car!

Think twice about it.

I have personally seen the car. As said already, the whole body is rusted, all lights and cosmetic parts are missing, and even the mechanicals could be gone as Star Man pointed out.

The owner is like an oasis in the desert. He exists, but everytime I go there, I'm told he cant be seen. Plus he has already refused to sell the car to some people before.

Read Harit's comments on the futility of restoring this car.

However, if you are still interested, I wouldnt mind paying another visit.
@PW - I believe I missed the part where the whole body was rusted, is the body rusted beyond repair? I usually am a purist when it comes to most cars, but if this car is unrestorable to 'original condition', I would atleast like to get her in running condition, with a chevy v8 crate engine. Most might laugh at the idea, but this could be the closest I could get to owning a muscle car, what with mustang prices at 30 and 40 lakhs (67's) and only 4 chargers in the country .
Old 7th May 2009, 01:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a lot of stuff..

Quote:
sure predatorwheelz, if you can source the parts do help Stanher. its in motilal nehru road. if you take the road adjacent to priya cinema which goes & meets maddox square, you will find it. oh i know, being "not a rich dude", you will do nothing with the car.

Quote:
@PW - I believe I missed the part where the whole body was rusted, is the body rusted beyond repair?
no, the body is quite good. it is quite repairable.

Last edited by amit V8 : 7th May 2009 at 01:22.
Old 7th May 2009, 11:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

The MK2 Amby

Spotted a MK2 Ambassador being taken to a scrapper near Park Circus today. Was in my way to office, so didnt have a camera ready. It was white in colour, and looked battered externally.

Digressing here, but it made me quite nostalgic. We had a 72 Ambassador in the family. A single owner (former Judge's) car, beautifully maintained and low mileage. We bought it in 1990 for Rs 55,000. I still remember the Dark Blue paint and gleaming chrome when it rolled into our driveway.

It served us for 9 years. I learnt driving in that car.

The car always needed small repairs. I remember taking the car to the local mechanic on school holidays (wasnt even old enough to have a license back then), sitting for hours at his garage and watch that car (as well as the omnipresent Padminis and Contessas) getting repaired. It really was the inception of my interest in automobile mechanicals.

Unfortunately the rumour of 15 year old cars to be taken off the road started circulating, and dad did not want to take a risk. In 1999, he sold it off to a dealer for Rs 40,000. Last heard, it was doing taxi duty in rural Orissa, with some kind of Diesel engine retrofitted.

Quote:
@PW - I believe I missed the part where the whole body was rusted, is the body rusted beyond repair? I usually am a purist when it comes to most cars, but if this car is unrestorable to 'original condition', I would atleast like to get her in running condition, with a chevy v8 crate engine. Most might laugh at the idea, but this could be the closest I could get to owning a muscle car, what with mustang prices at 30 and 40 lakhs (67's) and only 4 chargers in the country .
Ok, will go and try to trace the owner in a day or 2. Watch this space.

Quote:
no, the body is quite good. it is quite repairable.
Err, Amit, he's talking about the Vega. Trust me, I have seen it in broad daylight. It is a rust cage.

Thanks for the address. Will check out the Standard in a day or 2.
Old 7th May 2009, 17:10   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the address. Will check out the Standard in a day or 2.
Um, thanks again! BUT I'd appreciate it if you could try and go there a little sooner, as from my experience, I don't expect scrappies to hang on even that long to a car that doesn't fetch them any quick resale/profit!
And for the same reason, when they break cars like these, they don't care about taking the parts off carefully either!

But anyways, It's to your convenience. I'll pm you my number so you could let me know when you go there.
Old 8th May 2009, 14:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Shifting Standard!

For all those following the Standard Pennant, there have been many interesting developments. the discussion has been shifted here (post 821 onwards):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1293659

All other cars (posted so far in this thread) continue to be discussed on this thread.
Old 10th May 2009, 10:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I found a Saab 96 and an Austin 1300 rusting away at Sir Uday Bhan Singh's garage in Howrah. Both cars seem to be beyond restoration.

I have posted his vintage 4X4 collection separately. I urge all Vintage Enthusiasts to take a look at this thread, to see the number of vintage 4X4s on display:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ver-4x4-2.html
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02612.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02621.jpg  

Old 11th May 2009, 17:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Vega smells fishy!

An update on the Vega:

I, along with Bhpian NOS Power, finally managed to meet the elusive Vega Owner. The guy seemed to be quite slippery to me. Kept us sitting for one hour and discussed everything but the car.

Finally we told him that we couldnt wait anymore and asked a price. He said he had been offered 5 lakhs for this car, but refused!! I could barely suppress a smile. I didnt even bother to quote a price after that.

All the while he had been mentioning that he was great friends with restorers like Mr. Ranjit Mullick and the Kanorias. But on our way out, he asked us to help him find a restorer for him. Now he's thinking of restoring the Vega and selling it at a higher price!

Definitely fishy, if you ask me. If other Tbhpians (SpawnofSatan??) are still interested in the car, PM me. I'll send you his name and contact no.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks