Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2009, 00:40   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Thanks John for the commendable effort. I have very limited knowledge about vintage cars. Can you please give me some details (make, model, yr, etc) about the 3 cars that you have posted in the first link?

I understand that this would be a very generic questions, but, can you please give me a ballpark figure about the restoration costs of these cars, to their former glory. Do we have resources in Kolkata who can restore these cars? I am actually interested in restoring a couple of these, but cost can be a major factor. Parking space for these cars will not be a problem though.

If you can let me know of even older models, it would be great.
I was reading this threat and see i didn't respond to your questions, sorry.
Costs could run between R50,000 upwards depending how much you do and the condition and make of the car and the older the car the greater the purchase price which are very expensive and parts are hard to find or have to be fabricated.

They can be considered an investment.

Check out the Hot Rod and Custom threads as well as some of the other restorations that are documented and keep asking questions which you should receive lots of answers.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:42   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
An update on the Vega:

I, along with Bhpian NOS Power, finally managed to meet the elusive Vega Owner. The guy seemed to be quite slippery to me. Kept us sitting for one hour and discussed everything but the car.

Finally we told him that we couldnt wait anymore and asked a price. He said he had been offered 5 lakhs for this car, but refused!! I could barely suppress a smile. I didnt even bother to quote a price after that.

All the while he had been mentioning that he was great friends with restorers like Mr. Ranjit Mullick and the Kanorias. But on our way out, he asked us to help him find a restorer for him. Now he's thinking of restoring the Vega and selling it at a higher price!

Definitely fishy, if you ask me. If other Tbhpians (SpawnofSatan??) are still interested in the car, PM me. I'll send you his name and contact no.

Thanks predator for going and talking to the guy, Unfortunately 5 lakhs is a ridiculous price, I would have got the car for sure if the price was fair, heck i paid way less for an all original special edition 74 buick lesabre pillarless. Sorry for the trouble but 5 lakhs is a lot for this.
Old 19th May 2009, 16:02   #48
BHPian

mercedes benz in calcutta

These two cars are for sale in Calcutta Asking price 3 Lac for both. If any one is interested please PM me.

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1573.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1574.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1575.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1576.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1577.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1578.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1579.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1580.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1581.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1585.jpg
ritayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2009, 16:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

Here's what i found in new alipore.posted already in the rust in pieces thread.Seems like a Model T
Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 25432
Size:  900.1 KB

Name:  untitled2.bmp
Views: 24948

Name:  untitled3.bmp
Views: 24489
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:35   #50
BHPian

Jeep Chrokee available

The asking price is Rs 1.5 lac for this car.

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1566.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1567.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1568.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1569.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1570.jpg

Name:  CIMG1571.JPG
Views: 21804
Size:  67.6 KB

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1572.jpg
ritayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:02   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Here's what i found in new alipore.posted already in the rust in pieces thread.Seems like a Model T
Attachment 137623

Attachment 137624

Attachment 137625
spoke to the owner and he is not willing to sell it.

@ritayan : One of the mercs has some diesel engine installed and the other one has the original engine. And both of the them are without papers

Last edited by anish9000 : 22nd May 2009 at 21:05.
Old 22nd May 2009, 22:15   #52
BHPian

I never thought there are so many vintage cars left in Kolkata. I myself waited for 2 years before buying one - a Morris Minor.

I know someone who is driving a green 56 Fiat 1100 everyday and kept it in mint condition. He usually park it near Muchipara Police station (Santosh Mitra Square) and anyone passing by can have a look.
Old 23rd May 2009, 02:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An update on the Vega:

He said he had been offered 5 lakhs for this car, but refused!!

Let me predict the future of this car. Owner wants fancy price, owner gets no offer- cars rots further-owner sells to scrapyard for near about 15K. Still not worth it i say as i doubt the parts of the car are available or not lost.

IF this car was no tinkered around with, it would still be worth a try but of course not for the quoted price, id say 10% of it.

Re the Mercs, big price for cars without papers!! Otherwise quite restorable and intact.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th May 2009 at 19:57. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 23rd May 2009, 18:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Predator's Classic Hunt - Part 3

The usual suspects - Predatorwheelz, NOS Power
The new guy in town - Ritayan (bhpian from Delhi on a trip to Kolkata)
The occasion - What, you need an occasion now? Ok, a general love for classic cars, plus a free Saturday.

So off we went on another classic hunt through the city, to discover her lost treasures that (not so very) long ago used to be strewn all over the streets.

First up, we find this dilapidated Morris 8 lying beside EM Byepass. Interiors are ok, body is in a bad condition. Didnt look like it had papers though, was lying in a chain of scrap cars. Retains original mechanicals and dashboard meters though. Candidate for a parts car then?
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02628.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02631.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02630.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 23rd May 2009, 18:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

Amby Valley

Found these 2 Ambys (a Mk3 and a Mk2) come to the scrappers today. Both cars are in unbelievably good condition. The Mk3 even has a CF done till 2010. Dunno why the owners would want to scrap these babies!

Knock knock! Anyone out there looking for a Amby restoration project? Would be ready to help out in whatever way I can!
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02632-edited.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02633.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02634.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02635-edited.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02636.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2009, 18:59   #56
Senior - BHPian

How much is 7 plus 8 plus 14?

Next up, we were told of an Austin 7, a Morris 8 and a Hindustan 14, all lying around in various garages in Hazra area.

The Austin & Morris turned out to be the same ones in John's first post. Both are in decent condition and will make an easy restoration. Only the Austin is for sale though.

Not so lucky with the Hindustan 14 though. After a lot of trouble tracing the location, we were told that the car was sold off a few days ago.

Hey, here's a thought. A few days ago Anjan also posted pics of a H14 being pushed in the Ballygunge Area. Could it be the same car we missed? Here's the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1298516

Now for that elusive Consul. John, WHERE IS IT?
Old 23rd May 2009, 19:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Devon aur sajjano!

This was the find of the day for me. An Austin A40 Devon, totally original in all respects. Only the front bumper is missing, and one small pilot lamp broken. What a beautiful car!
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02641.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02644.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02642.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-dsc02643.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2009, 20:45   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz
I am so enjoying your thread and all the cars you are uncovering on the "hallowed" streets of Calcutta. Looking forward to joining you in November to cruise the streets.

RE the Consul - drive east on Hazra from Landsdown about 2/3 blocks and on the north side is a lumber plywood outlet. On the left side is the office, a drive in passage in the center and a show room on the right side. When you go into their driveway it opens up into a large saw mill work shop and behind and around it they have a very large covered lumberyard. Happy hunting!

I also met a nice young man who has a Morris Minor who lives just east of the Purna Cinema. His home is about 100 ft down a lane that runs west off of S.P. Mukherjee Rd on the right side with the minor parked under their home. I think I have his Phone # somewhere and when found will email it to you.

Another Minor of note is owned by a garage owner, his name is Das and his works is located on the west side of S.P.Mukherjee about two blocks north of Rashibeharry on the corner. It is his sunday driver and he has really dollied it up with lots of bells and whistle. He might be a candidate to under take a restoration. He has done some work for me in the past and is a nice person.

Keep in touch and keep POSTING!

Last edited by aah78 : 25th May 2009 at 19:58. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 24th May 2009, 10:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next up, we were told of an Austin 7, a Morris 8 and a Hindustan 14, all lying around in various garages in Hazra area.

The Austin & Morris turned out to be the same ones in John's first post. Both are in decent condition and will make an easy restoration. Only the Austin is for sale though.

Not so lucky with the Hindustan 14 though. After a lot of trouble tracing the location, we were told that the car was sold off a few days ago.

Hey, here's a thought. A few days ago Anjan also posted pics of a H14 being pushed in the Ballygunge Area. Could it be the same car we missed? Here's the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1298516

Hi Predatorwheelz.

Since you are currently in the hunt mode it will be great if you can hunt aqround for info on the Mitter family who were importers of fine cars and were said to have a Duesenber town car in their possession. Please check the Duesenbergs in India thread for further details.

It would appear two such cars ended up in Kolkata, one from the Hyderabad stables which records have confirmed was broken up and the other imported by the Mitters which has since disappeared.

Also there was mention of a Merc 540K with another set of brothers which has also not been found.

The we come to the legendary Saloo Chowdhry (spelling ?). John has gone on to document the other restorers of note in that fair city but not once was there any talk of the Chowdhrys and their cars.

Please try to document them and the other leads mentioned above.

Also what happened about your visit to check on the Jeep Station wagon impersonator.

Happy hunting.

Wasif
Old 24th May 2009, 11:37   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Also there was mention of a Merc 540K with another set of brothers which has also not been found.

The we come to the legendary Saloo Chowdhry (spelling ?). John has gone on to document the other restorers of note in that fair city but not once was there any talk of the Chowdhrys and their cars.
Both tasks for next weekend, Saloo's cars seem to be locked up behind high walls will definitely try to penetrate. The 540k can you give some ideas on the car so as to be able to trail it.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th May 2009 at 19:59. Reason: Quote fixed.

Most Viewed