Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 13:41   #76
BHPian

Jaguar Sovereign 4.2

Interesting find in Kolkata, see the reg no.

Name:  CIMG1617.JPG
Views: 7267
Size:  114.7 KB

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1619.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1621.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1622.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1627.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1628.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1631.jpg
ritayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2009, 13:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
Update on the Mercs, both have papers and radiator missing on both. Final price 3 lac for both cars no nego. If any one interested let me know.
Is it 3lac combined, or for each car?
Old 28th May 2009, 15:27   #78
BHPian

it is for both the cars as a single deal together.
Old 28th May 2009, 16:12   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting find in Kolkata, see the reg no.

Attachment 141448

Attachment 141453

That's a lovely Jag!! And it does seem quite restorable too, albeit I doubt there are plants growing under the hood!!

Just a random guess, but I suppose the reason for this one lying unattended here must have something to do with the registration number that it's sporting.
Old 29th May 2009, 08:16   #80
BHPian

@ritayan,

awesome find. where is it lying? is it possible for anyone to buy and get it registered in India?
Old 29th May 2009, 13:30   #81
Senior - BHPian

Wow thats a 4.2 (73-79)
Still got a UK number means the car has plenty of registration and other dues payable which can lead to a lot.

I love Jags but the problem is they are not built for our country. Not tropicalised. I believe Jags should come with a mechanic in their trunk.

Anyone trying to restore this white elephant better have deep pockets. I say this with the experience of having at least four friends who have owned Jags and Daimlers. They are fantastic cars with a lot of appeal as long as they are running.

Thats the catch...as long as they are running and its not going to be long before they have some hiccup or the other. Parts not easily available here and are frightfully expensive abroad. Almost at par with Rolls Royce of similar vintage.

My advice, you want to restore a Jag which looks like that..... marry the Garage owner's daughter/son.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:24   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Wow thats a 4.2 (73-79)
Still got a UK number means the car has plenty of registration and other dues payable which can lead to a lot.

I love Jags but the problem is they are not built for our country. Not tropicalised. I believe Jags should come with a mechanic in their trunk.

Anyone trying to restore this white elephant better have deep pockets. I say this with the experience of having at least four friends who have owned Jags and Daimlers. They are fantastic cars with a lot of appeal as long as they are running.

Thats the catch...as long as they are running and its not going to be long before they have some hiccup or the other. Parts not easily available here and are frightfully expensive abroad. Almost at par with Rolls Royce of similar vintage.

My advice, you want to restore a Jag which looks like that..... marry the Garage owner's daughter/son.
These Jags are very fine, sleek and elegant cars, when, as V16 said, they work. But he got it wrong about the mechanics daughter. What if the mechanic to fix this car does not have a daughter? And the mechanic's daughter has a father who cannot fix this car? Money was not the issue, capability is. A friend here in Germany told me about 10 years ago: 'I would have a Jag if there was a Jag workshop in my town where I live. It is not there, so I have no Jag.'
There is a workshop in Nagpur where the guy fixes these cars. My friend had one and we went around Nagpur with it. No problem. He even fixed the infamous V12 which was lying in Mumbai sputtering along.
About the registration of this car, why worry. There were enough such Jags lying around, they should be available. Like a blue one on the Juhu Baandh if it is still there. Thsi car in the pictures seems to have been abandoned, see steel construction material lying around.
If a car is lying with a foreign number plate need not mean that there will be registration troubles. There was a Jag E-type in Bangalore with a British number, and an American Pontiac cleared in the early 1960's still not registered!

Cheers harit
Old 29th May 2009, 16:47   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
@ritayan,

awesome find. where is it lying? is it possible for anyone to buy and get it registered in India?
What you looking forward to buying it or what
sabret00the is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2009, 20:19   #84
BHPian

the jag was sold with the farm where it was stored, electricals gone, rats i guess. Rest i guess is working. Asking price 2.5 lac. I have made an offer of 1.5 lac, mechanic not a peoblem as i have someone who mantains a s type for the last 5 years and budgeting around 3 lac to get it in shape, what say.
Old 29th May 2009, 22:41   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the jag was sold with the farm where it was stored, electricals gone, rats i guess. Rest i guess is working. Asking price 2.5 lac. I have made an offer of 1.5 lac, mechanic not a peoblem as i have someone who mantains a s type for the last 5 years and budgeting around 3 lac to get it in shape, what say.
Well, you seem to be seriously following up this car.
Firstly, I feel that the Jag was abandoned and it went with the farm. You have to find out about any documentation available. Has customs duty been paid? If not, or you cannot get documentation, then just leave it. I remember shortly after STC car monopoly was done away with, I had seen a Chevy I wanted to buy. The no sell period bond of 5 years was also over, but we were asked to get the bond cancelled anyway. Such formalities are taken seriously. The car could also have come from a customs auction. So find out the history.

Regarding restoration, well in this car electricals and mechanicals go together. And the electricals cause the mechanicals to work improperly. I read that Tata are to bring Jaguar to India. Wait and ask them if they will fix it. I doubt it, it will be like many of the W126 Merc's which were abandoned in Mercedes workshops when the time came to pay the bill.

I would leave it going by its track record. But YOU have to take a call. I am sure other cars will roll along.

All the best harit

Last edited by harit : 29th May 2009 at 22:42.
Old 30th May 2009, 13:44   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Well, you seem to be seriously following up this car.

I would leave it going by its track record. But YOU have to take a call. I am sure other cars will roll along.

All the best harit
Yes I am serious about it. I am in the process of getting the details will update as i get more. Thanks for the help and advice.

Any idea which Austin is this.

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1633.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1634.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1635.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-cimg1636.jpg
Old 30th May 2009, 13:57   #87
BHPian

This one looks as if the photographer was the first person to enter that shed after atleast 2 or maybe 3 decades!!!

Well, like they say 'every disintegrating car has its own story'; this one seems to be a special case.
Old 30th May 2009, 14:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Might i add Rovers to this list
Old 30th May 2009, 15:15   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am serious about it. I am in the process of getting the details will update as i get more. Thanks for the help and advice.

Any idea which Austin is this.
Hi, this is no Austin. I would say a pre war German car, probably Opel, soon to be a Canadian-Austrian car belonging to Magna. Next time have a closer look at the wheel cap if possible, zoom in on it.

Cheers harit
Old 30th May 2009, 15:18   #90
BHPian

This is an excellent find, but do check the documentation............

Most Viewed