Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 10:19   #181
BHPian

Re: KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Congratulations, great find. Lookat those ivory knobs on the dash, wow! Is this a HM Landmaster or a Morris Traveller? Rare car either ways, but there are more than one or two still around as someone pointed out, so don't go by that! Are the rear doors (tail gates) there, though not in the pics? Congrats once again! I can sense some angst amongst the profiteering junta of the vintage&classic world, who sell these at 7 lakhs and thereabouts!
Well the badge say it 1953 so, more likely to be morris traveller. The back doors are not there but the hinges are on it. kolkata has some great guys to do wood work so not worried. Have been looking for a while and a lot of people said that there are a few woodys in kolkata. they said the court judges and sweet shop owners used to use them. yet to find one. If you know please share would help as reference.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:38   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardshark View Post
If you know please share would help as reference.
YS

I am sure you may have seen this video already. Just in case you have not, I am posting this for your info.

Some good quality stills of the same car from the youtube video is there in the link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oakfiel...4662/?q=morris oxford traveller

Could be good reference. The rear doors are quiet clearly shown and a good carpenter should be able to copy it.

All the best with the resto

Best Regards & Ride/Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 30th April 2012 at 12:48.
Old 30th April 2012, 13:24   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just bought this car in the border of west bengal and Bihar. The car has just arrived at the workshop in kolkatta. Was looking for one for a very long time. Almost everything is there but need a lot of attention.
A very nice find, very restorable, keep posting as the restoration progresses. Give a shout when parts are required, lots can be sourced.

Cheers harit
Old 30th April 2012, 18:56   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well the badge say it 1953 so, more likely to be morris traveller.
Forgive my ignorance, but which badge? Is it the ID plate on the top right corner of the bulkhead? Never seen the year stamped there.

Either ways, that same plate should make it amply clear if the car is Morris or Hindustan. Hint - the bonnet badge says 'H', not 'M', so it probably is a Hindustan. Lucky you!
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-07.jpg  

Old 1st May 2012, 22:14   #185
BHPian

Re: Predator's classic hunt - Part I

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
The first car I found languishing in an apartment garage in South Kolkata. Securely locked in its own small "cage", the car was rusting away. The body is too rusted, headlights and tailights are all missing. However, the overall fastback coupe profile seem to suggest a Ford Capri Mk2 (photo of stock Capri courtesy Wikipedia) of the mid 70s. Note the shape of the bonnet, high on both sides and lower in the middle. However, no Capri I know has those comsetic strips (see the 3rd pic) below the rear quarter glass. Can anybody help me identifying the car?
Hello Predatorwheelz
Bumping this thread a bit. Would it be possible for you to share the details of the owner of this car. Since it's supposed to be previously owned by Kishore Kumar has piqued my interest given that I am a die hard fan . Do PM me if it would be possible to meet the owner and see if he would be ready to part with it.
Thanks a bunch.
Old 1st May 2012, 22:31   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Hello Predatorwheelz
Bumping this thread a bit. Would it be possible for you to share the details of the owner of this car. Since it's supposed to be previously owned by Kishore Kumar has piqued my interest given that I am a die hard fan . Do PM me if it would be possible to meet the owner and see if he would be ready to part with it.
Thanks a bunch.
Well I can tell you the location of the car.

Its located in the Building which has the restaurant,Red Hot Chilly Pepper.Its opp St Lawrence in Ballygunje Circular road.
There is a DL Reg White BMW 318i E30 Manual in that building too.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:26   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Predatorwheelz
Bumping this thread a bit. Would it be possible for you to share the details of the owner of this car.........
That car is no Capri or Camaro. Probably a Chevrolet Vega, one of those forgettable cars

Cheers harit
Old 5th May 2012, 15:04   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Predatorwheelz
Thanks a bunch.
The location of the car is exactly where Rohin says . Take my advice, avoid this car. Not only is the car badly rusted, the owner seemed to be a funny person, if you know what I mean. And the price he's asking is entirely forgettable.

If you still want to explore buying the car, the owner stays on the first floor of the same building where the car is housed.

And yes, its a Chevrolet Vega.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:25   #189
Senior - BHPian

She is getting ready for the Statesman Vintage rally. The owner, a gent who also owns a red Carmann Ghia and blue Marina said that this was lying in a garage for almost 25 years.

This Fiat 128 seemed to be fitted with all stuff and is RHD. Will post more pictures once I see her again.

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img0515a.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img0516a.jpg
amit V8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 00:19   #190
Senior - BHPian

This Series 3 LR from Odisha is here for a resto work. Unfortunately it is fitted with bus lights everywhere instead of the original ones. The engine is probably original with a working T-case. Excuse the picture quality.

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-100712_141401.jpg
Old 25th July 2012, 09:53   #191
BANNED

Somewhat OT:

I am curious to know what is the state of Netaji's Packard which I hear is there in his old home?
Old 25th July 2012, 09:57   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
She is getting ready for the Statesman Vintage rally.
Seriously???!!! I never thought I'd see a Fiat 128 in the Statesman Rally. Statesman was a prestigious event once - but then far lesser cars are considered "vintage" or "classic" these days, at least the 128 is a fairly nice car to drive, and this one appears clean.
Maybe the terms vintage and classic cars have been overused and have lost their meaning.
Perhaps we should coin new terms for cars like the 128, Ford Falcon, post 1967 Beetles, Mercedes 123 etc. I suggest "older" and "interesting" cars...

Last edited by karlosdeville : 25th July 2012 at 10:22.
awini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 23:52   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Somewhat OT:

I am curious to know what is the state of Netaji's Packard which I hear is there in his old home?
Netaji's car is a Wanderer and not a Packard. It is still there which is posted in some other link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
Seriously???!!! I never thought I'd see a Fiat 128 in the Statesman Rally. Statesman was a prestigious event once - but then far lesser cars are considered "vintage" or "classic" these days, at least the 128 is a fairly nice car to drive, and this one appears clean.
Maybe the terms vintage and classic cars have been overused and have lost their meaning.
Perhaps we should coin new terms for cars like the 128, Ford Falcon, post 1967 Beetles, Mercedes 123 etc. I suggest "older" and "interesting" cars...
Very well said. The owner said that he is eyeing the '13 rally. Recently a lot of Indian cars are entering the rally which I think was not allowed till a couple of years back. Sadly the number of vintages are decreasing too.
Old 21st January 2013, 00:45   #194
Senior - BHPian

I saw a grey W110 190D in a fairly bad condition parked in a desolate corner of a plot used as a parking space. I have a snap, but not sure if I should post it since I do not have any permission of the owner (not that I know who it belongs to).

This is on Elliot Road, Kolkata.
Old 21st January 2013, 15:22   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I saw a grey W110 190D in a fairly bad condition parked in a desolate corner of a plot used as a parking space.
I know of a grey 190D Fintail as well and saw it last being driven by the owner around 5 years back, not seen it since. Maybe it's the same car but the owner doesn't live on Elliot Road. Perhaps he's sold it. Why not put up a snap after blanking the plates?

Most Viewed