Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:31   #1
BHPian

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!

Hi,

I keep bumping into cars that have been parked and neglected and have started to photograph them "For the Record"; here's a few to start off with and I hope other Team-BHP members here in Kolkata will add to it.

These are to be found along Hazra, east of S. P. Mukherjee Rd.

The 56 Fiat is up for sale, needs lots of mechanical work and it was converted to a floor shift and has bucket seats. Very nice very old gentleman who is looking for a new home for it.

I might suggest that Members in other Cities start documenting what's lying around their neighborhoods.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-8.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-7.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-9.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-10.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-2.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-1.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-12.jpg  

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-14.jpg  

Attached Images

john a milne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:41   #2
BHPian

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!

Here's the photos of the Fiat.

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4013.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4014.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4019.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4020.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4021.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4015.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4016.jpg

KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!-img_4017.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th February 2009 at 02:56.
john a milne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2009, 21:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

I appreciate your efforts John but doubt how many fellow crusaders you will find around here - I mean in the city. Contrary to popular perception, I don't think a large number of Calcuttans have too much sense of history. Your passion reminds me of a one liner: "romantics are amorous of the past."
Keep up the good work.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2009, 22:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I appreciate your efforts John but doubt how many fellow crusaders you will find around here - I mean in the city. Contrary to popular perception, I don't think a large number of Calcuttans have too much sense of history. Your passion reminds me of a one liner: "romantics are amorous of the past."
Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the candor, one can only try, and try to be detached at the same time.

I've been coming to Calcutta for over 35 years, seen a lot of changes, most for the good, but I do miss all the cows that used roam the streets oblivious to the world around them while I crouched down in the back seats of the taxis, saying to my-self "nearer to God am I" and of course, all the older cars that roamed the streets as well.

The dramatic disappearance of the older Fiats and Premiers these past two years has been so swift that when cars lovers wake up they will be almost gone. But as the saying goes ' you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink".

I do so enjoying driving our Fiat around, almost as new as the day it first hit the streets and the people who do stop and admire and on many occasions come over and speak to me. We could have found something newer and most comfortable but then who wants to apart of the herd?

Once we get it all sorted out mechanically I am looking forward to doing some long distance touring, wife permitting. She has always shared my love and appreciation for our collective heritage be it cars, furniture or cultures.

Hopefully we will have a chance to meet and if not we are only a click away on this remarkable internet that younger people just take for granted.
john a milne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2009, 22:19   #5
BHPian

Thanks John for the commendable effort. I have very limited knowledge about vintage cars. Can you please give me some details (make, model, yr, etc) about the 3 cars that you have posted in the first link?

I understand that this would be a very generic questions, but, can you please give me a ballpark figure about the restoration costs of these cars, to their former glory. Do we have resources in Kolkata who can restore these cars? I am actually interested in restoring a couple of these, but cost can be a major factor. Parking space for these cars will not be a problem though.

If you can let me know of even older models, it would be great.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:41   #6
BHPian

Thanks John for showing us these treasures. I always dreamt about having one of these classics as my daily ride. I will probably one, in case I am not traveling again.
An estimate as Saurav has requested will certainly help to convince the finance ministry!
Old 5th February 2009, 12:24   #7
BHPian

Can someone in this forum help us in identifying the cars in this picture? The Fiats are obvious but I am struggling with the other ones.
Old 6th February 2009, 11:50   #8
BHPian

Someone pls. help identifying the cars

Is there no one who can help us identifying these cars? Come on, we need help from experts!!
Old 6th February 2009, 11:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The first black car is a 30s/40s Austin 8. The second green and black car is a 40s Morris 8 with modified mudgaurds for fitting later headlights. The third saloon is an English Ford Consul. The 4th car is a 56 Fiat 1100.
Old 8th February 2009, 23:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a pity that these quite upto the mark beauties are not finding proper places to go to and get restored. Maybe if these are advertised for sale will they land in the proper hands and remain fit as ever, with the blessings of lady luck .
Old 9th February 2009, 00:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Do we have resources in Kolkata who can restore these cars? I am actually interested in restoring a couple of these, but cost can be a major factor.
Cost apart there is another factor, knowledge. Restoration to be right, needs thorough knowledge of the specific model being restored. To site an example, after coming back to Kolkata, I found the fiat a little bit wanting on the response front. One look inside the bonnet (although I had looked before and overlooked it), the vacuum advance pipe was missing. A little "jhar" with the mechanic, the fellow tells me, that the pipe is redundant and its anyway an old car, who wants "performance" out of it.

My dad had taken the car to him for pre-pollution test tuning while I was away. Later on, when I found time, I could reset quite a few things mechanics usually do, and even if you strongly say that you dont want something to be done, they get all nosey and all.

One big part about restoring oldies, is to get hold of their service manuals and do things piece by piece, then genuine parts are quite an effort to come by. It almost becomes a full-time job, if your profession allows you to splurge time on it (money alone will not get you there).
Old 9th February 2009, 19:55   #12
BHPian

Completely agree with you Anirban. I have limited knowledge about vintages. Once a model is chosen, I would try to learn about it. I would also have to rely heavily on mechanics, who are skilled at restoration jobs.

My plan is very fluid at this point and may be wishful thinking, but, want to give it a try sometime in future.
Old 9th February 2009, 20:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Thanks John for the commendable effort. I have very limited knowledge about vintage cars. Can you please give me some details (make, model, yr, etc) about the 3 cars that you have posted in the first link?

I understand that this would be a very generic questions, but, can you please give me a ballpark figure about the restoration costs of these cars, to their former glory. Do we have resources in Kolkata who can restore these cars? I am actually interested in restoring a couple of these, but cost can be a major factor. Parking space for these cars will not be a problem though.

If you can let me know of even older models, it would be great.
We have number of good restorers here in Calcutta and will try and do a posting of them later. I plan to visit some of them that I haven't visited before in the next few weeks.

My personal experience is to try and find the best car possible before restoring as it will cost less and if you plan to keep it a long time and drive it its the best way to go.
Send me a personal note with your telephone # and I would be pleased to call you.
Old 19th February 2009, 18:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ford Consul Mk1

John,

The last car of the 3 you posted (pic below) is a Mk1 Ford Consul (made in UK between 1951-56). I have a particular liking for European classics of the 50's & 60's, particularly because their shapes seemed so unfussy (no overhangs, no fancy wings, no overdose of chrome) as compared to their American contemporaries. Moreover, this particular car was the first production car in the world to feature McPherson Strut suspension.

Please let me know if the garage owner was willing to sell it, and at what price. Have been planning a vintage car restoration project for some time. This one may just be a good start.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp consul1.bmp (900.1 KB, 579 views)
Old 21st February 2009, 00:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
John,

The last car of the 3 you posted (pic below) is a Mk1 Ford Consul (made in UK between 1951-56). I have a particular liking for European classics of the 50's & 60's, particularly because their shapes seemed so unfussy (no overhangs, no fancy wings, no overdose of chrome) as compared to their American contemporaries. Moreover, this particular car was the first production car in the world to feature McPherson Strut suspension.

Please let me know if the garage owner was willing to sell it, and at what price. Have been planning a vintage car restoration project for some time. This one may just be a good start.
Belongs to family who have it stored in their lumber yard close to our flat.
I doubt they will sell based on last conversation but will stop by and check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks