HMCI Autojumble 2009-img_1353-large.jpg

HMCI Autojumble 2009-img_1394-large.jpg

HMCI Autojumble 2009-img_1396-large.jpg
Old 24th February 2009, 11:42   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Here's the DKW "Boat Tail"
What a ghastly out of proportion job done to a rare car. A pity, it could have been so much better executed. See its contemporary, the Adler Trumpf Juniour Sport for comparison. What a good looking car, identical in concept. Cant find better pics at the moment, sorry.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/367786-post26.html

What were the prices being quoted for the cars?
Old 24th February 2009, 12:53   #18
BHPian

Any idea of what was the asking price for those cars and bikes which was for sale?
Must be very high in Lakhs.....

regards
Old 24th February 2009, 16:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Sounds like it was an interesting event. I can imagine the prices of the items on sale would be way North of the actual values.

Were any parts and cars actually sold ? Those complete ddash assemblies looked great and so did the Ariel Square Four Bore.

By the way the Chevy in picture four of post number 6 is not a 1957 Nomad Wagon but is actually the Chevy 150 Handyman 2 Door Station Wagon.

The Nomad was much classier and rarer with a production of only 6,103 retailing at $ 2,757 where as the 150 which was the base range for 1957 had a production run of 17,528 Handyman Wagons which retailed at $ 2,307.

The main styling differences were the side trim, shape of rear greenhouse and window apart for the interior and engine choices.
This car was seen sometime back at a Rally in Bangalore, in the same colours. Now it has reached Delhi and may be passed on.
There was a 1957 Nomad station waggon in or near Kolkotta, colour was Golden. Does anyone know where she went? For some strange reason 1957 Chevy's have become rarer, there used to be many more. I know of 2 scrapped in Mumbai ages ago. But scrapping goes on, TODAY a 1955 Chevy got scrapped in Chor Bazar!

The DKW, can someone find out what is original on the car? I suppose only the chassis. The earlier black DKW seen with the big headlights also seems to have been altered, have yet to see a side pic of that car. There are not many prewar DKW's left in India.
Old 24th February 2009, 17:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This car was seen sometime back at a Rally in Bangalore, in the same colours. Now it has reached Delhi and may be passed on.
There was a 1957 Nomad station waggon in or near Kolkotta, colour was Golden. Does anyone know where she went? For some strange reason 1957 Chevy's have become rarer, there used to be many more. I know of 2 scrapped in Mumbai ages ago. But scrapping goes on, TODAY a 1955 Chevy got scrapped in Chor Bazar!

The DKW, can someone find out what is original on the car? I suppose only the chassis. The earlier black DKW seen with the big headlights also seems to have been altered, have yet to see a side pic of that car. There are not many prewar DKW's left in India.
Hi Harti.

On the subject of 57 to 55 Chevys I had purchased a single owner 55 Bel Air straight six sedan from a family friend This was his fathers car, in the family from new. It was last used around ten years before I bought it for transporting my aunt to her marriage.

When I got serious about cars I went to his place and asked if he would be interested in selling the car. He said it was taking up garage space and he was having to park his new Maruti Van outside and was pleased to get rid of it for 10K.

I got the car home, spent some time cleaning it out and got it mobile. Had loads of fun diriving it up and down in Hyd until it caught the eye of a collector in Sec Bad who made an offer I couldn't refuse.

I wonder if he still has the car and if it was properly restored later.This gentleman also has the Korea state Ghost.

One of my friends had brought a 57 Bel Air Sedan from Goa that was badly rusted but complete. Try as we could we couldn't get a buyer and the car was scrapped.

This was the state of affairs in the 1990's, nobody cared for old cars.

The black DKW was actually a Hyd car. Apart form the headlights I think it was all there. There was also a DKW in Hyd which had a wooden body which was completely gone. I remember the owner was trying to turn it into a roadster. Maybe the red car is similar.
Old 24th February 2009, 17:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Does a genuine Nomad with those lovely trims on the (tail gate) survive in India? I have never had the fortune to see one. Incidentally in 55 (ish) GM had showcased a Nomad spec Corvette as well, complete with signature tail gate.

I can't believe a 55 Chevy was scrapped today - was it really that far gone? Shocking to say the least!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 24th February 2009 at 17:51.
Old 24th February 2009, 23:31   #22
BHPian

Spot on Wasif, this is no Chevy Nomad - that's how it's being bandied! Could be a 210, although the side trims don't suggest so. Most likely a 150 Handyman as you've suggested, but then she's missing a few of the Handyman's embellishments as well. And the side rear glasshouse is really curious, particularly the C-pillar. So I really wonder what this really is, or was? Could she have been a coach-built National/Comet with all vestiges of a hearse/ambulance carefully removed? The said glasshouse, C and D pillars and rear door could suggest so.

Anyway, the asking price now, I heard, is 10 lakhs.

Also heard the following: the black Beetle is at 3.5 lakhs, was also advertised a couple of Sundays back in the HT at 5 then. The yellow super-Beetle is at 7 lakhs. The Herald is at 0.75.

Regarding the DKW's "customised design," well the thought process amongst a lot of the dealers is that bling in an unknown brand helps sell a collectible auto better, because many of the buyers want to make the loudest statement of their acquisition - it's another matter though that some of these buyers subsequently also start claiming that the car's always been in the family, which is another story. But the issue here is that the game is to attract attention! Original, period-look, etc. don't fetch much custom. And unviable in a bucket case low-end marque. So there! Let's see if the economy changes preferences, restoration habits...

But then, we've also big marques being converted to boattails by some very knowledgable restorers-cum-collectors-cum-dealers when the particular piece wasn't originally one. Many people know about the Rolls, Auburn, etc. But atleast they have been nicely executed, the sentiment of originality again being another issue, which can be debated till the cows come home!

Talking of the black DKW featuring the incorrect and again 'bling' headlights, and seen in an earlier thread, I'd heard from the present owner, the same dealer who owns this red "boattail," that that car was acquired from the first owner somewhere in UP or MP. Maybe I heard wrong and it was AP, but I don't think so. That's quite a nice car otherwise. Delhi had a few DKWs back in the day, a few rotted away in my knowledge. One probably still is, haven't been that way in a long time. My $0.02
Old 25th February 2009, 11:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Prabal.

Thanks. On further thought it could also be a 1957 150 two door sedan delivery as the side trim is identical, as you can see in the first two pictures, but definitely not a Nomad as can be seen in the third picture.

The Nomad tailgate hinges downwards not sideways as seen on the wagon in question.

The wagon on the trailer is a 150 Handyman 2 door Wagon

The last pics are of a 57 210 two door Wagon
Attached Thumbnails
HMCI Autojumble 2009-g20caruth2001.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-g20caruth2004.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-1957_chevrolet_bel_air_nomad_wagon_04.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-23055750001_large.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-chev5701.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-chev5701a.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 25th February 2009 at 11:19. Reason: clarity
Old 25th February 2009, 16:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
Regarding the photograph of a family in a Packard, please let me know if you remember the stall number and I shall definitely give you the contact details of the exhibitor.
Good show Mr Jatti. It was lovely to meet you at last. The whole show was very well organised. I hope that teaches a thing or two to people who organise such events in Bombay.

Re the photo, it was in the first line where the gentleman was selling framed B&W pics of old Bombay etc etc for Rs. 500/- He also had two or three pencil sketches for Rs. 2000/- each claiming them to be more than 1000 years old.
Anyways the gentleman could not shed light on the car nor the owner but was very surprised to see me recognise the car.

I also asked him who the family was and also clicked a pic for DKG knowing his penchant for Packards but unfortunately the gleam from the sun destroyed the pic. Sorry DKG.

Thanks for picking me up from the airport Ishan. I tell you guys the Getz Crdi is a killer. If it was avaialble in automatic, i would be standing in a line to get it. I will give it a thought when replacing my Santro.

Prabal
, lovely meeting up with you again. Im sorry i could not spend more time with you as i had family matters to take care of. Also the next day i was totally occupied with the family function and got free only at 3.30am (these Delhi guys sure know how to party hard) so sorry mate for not calling you the next day, much as i would have loved to. Rain cheque boss!!

A word about the jumble. Very good idea and very well organised too. I thought they were hugely overpriced. If the stalls were free, maybe the stall owners could have sold the parts etc at reasonable prices but then again maybe they were to recognised persons.

The stall which was selling books was hugely overpriced. Terming them as "Rare" and not available elsewhere was not in the right spirit i thought. I later found out that the stall was put by a prominent collector who was disposing off his second copies only. One book i recently bought from a shop in Bombay for a mere Rs 650/- brand new,was being sold at 2000/- and second hand with a signature on the first page. Now tell me where is the sense. Not wanting to demean anyone, just my outlook thats all.

The lesser said about the Chevy wagon the better.

Firstly i wonder what it is. Its definitely not a Nomad. Im positive its not even an original wagon. Look at the hinges. There was no passenger station wagon i am in knowledge of, with side door hinges. All opened vertically, some in two parts, with a loading tray as in the BMW X-5.
The rear door handle also I have never known to be on the extreme left as in this case or on the opposite side. It was always placed in the centre.

The Mystery Chevy Wagon with areas of concern in red squares

HMCI Autojumble 2009-chevy-wagon.jpg

The rear window are also an issue of concern. The wraparound rear glass is substituted by metal. Even the rear window is not of the correct size and pattern. I reckon that the good restorer replaced the rear windows with flat glass as it is easy to get and then replaced the rear wrap around glass, not so easily manufactured with metal. Not to mention the missing trims and the faux ventilation slats on the C pillar etc etc.

Again my view is that this might have been converted into a passenger from either a delivery van, ambulance or worse a hearse.

Looks like recession has not hit Delhi Good.
The prices of cars put up for sale were extra exorbitant as one can see.

The DKW Boat-tail (if there ever was one) looked conjured up. I believe that the chassis was all there but the rims and tyres do not look very original to whatever the car was. A look at the steering wheel will tell you about the shoddy work. Even the DKW etched on to the faux horn button on the all wood wheel was very shabbily done. In this age of computerised etching, one wonders why someone, who would take great pains in resurrecting a car from its grave (whether its tastefully done or not, is not the question) would not pay attention to such a important detail.

The DKW Steering Wheel

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dkw-wheel.jpg

Now a word about the MG open top tourer. "Its a 49 MG" was the answer I got from the flamboyant owner, a tall gent in a golf hat. I remember seeing him in the TV show "Its all about my car Honey". He appeared in that show in a series of hats, throughout the show. He must be fond of them i gather. I only wish he knew as much about his own car too. I asked him again, what the particular model was and he after deep thought repeated "Its a MG 1949, thats all" and hurried out of the scene. Prabal, Ishan and me reacted in a way i will keep to myself.
The car is pretty much very restorable. The dash, gear knob and meters need replacing along with a lot of other parts but it can be a great looking car.

The 49 MG. Yaar Veneer toh accha use karo!!

HMCI Autojumble 2009-49-mg.jpg

A badly done Heckflosse door panel with missing quarter window knob. If you cant fix it remove it!!

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc06315-large.jpg
Old 25th February 2009, 17:06   #25
BHPian

Engineers Corporation - 1st Prize - Best Display at Autojumble

Hi Team,

Please find attached pics from the Stall that won the Best Display Award from HMCI at the Autojumble - Engineers Corporation - Owner Mr. Tutu Dhawan.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02553-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02560-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02569-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02575-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02576-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02579-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02582-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02583-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02585-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02590-1.jpg  

Old 25th February 2009, 17:13   #26
BHPian

Some More Pics from Engineers Corporation Stall

Ok Team some more pics from the Engineers Corporation Stall.

And for those who asked me Mr. Dhawan's contact e-mail its : engineers.corp@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02591-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02592-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02595-1.jpg  

HMCI Autojumble 2009-dsc02598-1.jpg  

Old 25th February 2009, 17:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

I quite agree. I feel the 49 MG gut should get a peek at this stall to rectify his mistake and remove the oval glove box.
Great quality job. Veneer and lamination quality top notch. Does not look manufactured here.
Old 25th February 2009, 17:24   #28
BHPian

hmmmmm...that's very expensive Boyce meter. Rs 15,000/- +Tax ?
I got mine from UK with chrome wings for under 6,000/-

Even the Jaguar wheel spinners are available in e-bay for 98GBP + 45 GBP Shipping for 4. That makes around Rs 11,000/- only.....for 4

True, its too highly priced
Old 25th February 2009, 17:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
True, its too highly priced
as i had said, most people (owners) to visit that place would be knowing something about prices na?
Old 26th February 2009, 12:37   #30
BHPian

Hi !

Gents,

Every bit and piece of the works of art displayed at the Engineers Corp stall were made in house - you should visit the workshop next time to see some mind blowing restoration work going on there including some of the top notch wood work for rolls royces and bentleys which is being exported to England and European buyers!

Finally we have a quality restoration workshop exporting quite a few things to overseas buyers and as you guys rightly pointed out it all looks imported because we are yet not confident of Indian quality that we ourselves are making in India.

We Indians can do it - are doing it already - its just that are fellow countrymen need to recognise that we have already made that huge leap forward!

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks