Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 14:43   #1
BHPian

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury

I had a request to identify a good shop to restore a members car so I thought I could post an over view of some of the Shops here for general reference. It's my impression the cost here are less than Bombay and Delhi.

Most of them collect as well with Sanjay Ghosh having the biggest shop and collection. There are a number of other collectors who run their own shops and as problems arise quite often have Sanjay deal with it. He has some very old talented workers on staff some of them for close to 20 years.

Before i get carried away would appreciate some guidelines to ensure I maintain the integrity of the site.

Awaiting a response!

Note from Mod: John has decided to have unique threads for each of the Calcutta Restorers. Below is a link to Sanjay Ghosh's thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...jay-ghosh.html

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th March 2009 at 17:49. Reason: Link to Sanjay's thread added.
Old 12th February 2009, 07:17   #2
BHPian

Would love to get some restoration information. I am not sure about the forum rules about this. If this is restricted, I will PM you.
Old 12th February 2009, 21:59   #3
BHPian

An old time enthusiast who is now retired and expanded his works to take in other cars is P. K. Chowdhury, 9831027301, and has a nice works on the outskirts of Calcutta.

In his stable he currently has done up:
1913 Stoewer his Grand father had purchased in Germany
1957 Chevrolet Belair 4 door hard top
Plus a lot in the works.

I met him way back and three years ago he was kind enough to sell me a 1962 Fiat 1100 deluxe plated WBF-1, previously owned by a Bengali Movie Star Pranati Das, that he had just purchased with the intent of doing it up for his daughter-in law. I was looking for a "Classic" that would be "affordable, drivable and repairable" and had settled on the Italian Fiat 1100. I had Sanjay Ghosh restore it for me as his works is minutes away.

He did up a 1943 Ford Jeep for a client that won the "Best Restored Classic"
at this years Statesman Rally.

I will post more photos later
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-statesman-concours-009.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-chaudry-002.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-chaudry-013.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-img_4102.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-img_4104.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-img_4110.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-img_4117.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-img_4112.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-img_4115.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-fiat041.jpg  

Old 13th February 2009, 09:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

That Amby wagon looks interesting. Appears to be a genuine Morris Traveller going by quality of bodywork, side trims etc. Any more pics of that?
Old 13th February 2009, 11:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That Amby wagon looks interesting. Appears to be a genuine Morris Traveller going by quality of bodywork, side trims etc. Any more pics of that?

Karl,

Will take some more shortly when I visit again, here's a few more I had taken. Chowdhury loves wagons and will be doing it up for himself.

He is looking for an engine for his sweet little Fiat, anyone have one lying around?
John
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-img_4108.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-img_4107.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-img_4105.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-img_4111.jpg  

Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-chaudry-011.jpg  

Old 13th February 2009, 11:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
and has a nice works on the outskirts of Calcutta.
Where exactly is this place? Looks a pretty big space he has there.
Old 13th February 2009, 12:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Where exactly is this place? Looks a pretty big space he has there.
Just off the Kona Expressway that runs from the new bridge east, very close to the Highway to Bombay, Planning a visit soon?

Spoke to my good friend Prasant in Guwahati and he will check on the original color of the Fiat, At this point the old gentleman still wants to use it but eventually is looking for a good home for it , any idea what would be a fair price? Prasant is building a 6 car garage and said I could park it there so when I come to visit I have to tour around. It's a great place!

Still awaiting your insights on the chromed Fiat hub caps that are on the call.
Sorry if I put you in the lime light about finding the right lady to share your passions, now that you are becoming established the world is waiting for!
Old 13th February 2009, 13:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Still awaiting your insights on the chromed Fiat hub caps that are on the call.
Sorry if I put you in the lime light about finding the right lady to share your passions, now that you are becoming established the world is waiting for!
I'm probably little off here. Did I say anything about chromed Fiat hub cap before? Or is this for somebody else? Sorry If I'm sounding dumb.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:07   #9

Im sure he has mistaken you with Karl!! !! That MOrris Oxford Traveller is the first I have seen. That topolino is, As Clarkson puts it, SWEEEEEETT!!
Old 13th February 2009, 17:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Karl,

Will take some more shortly when I visit again, here's a few more I had taken. Chowdhury loves wagons and will be doing it up for himself.

He is looking for an engine for his sweet little Fiat, anyone have one lying around?
John
Karl, here's a shot of the back end for you. The car seems to quite complete.
Is a rather rare example?
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury-img_4109.jpg  

Old 13th February 2009, 19:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Karl, here's a shot of the back end for you. The car seems to quite complete.
Is a rather rare example?
Wow, John this is rare. A Morris Oxford IV Traveller she is for sure, the Indian Amby Station-Wagons had a different profile. The shape of the hatch, the creases, the small hatch at the bottom with the quaint handle, side beadings, the rear door and glasses, the D-pillar, et all(see also the twin fuel filler system - the left hand side filler neck is visible here and the fuel cap on the outside right in the previous picture). Googling should tell us some more. Unlike the rear bumper, hope the front is original - bumper, grille, lights, etc.

The registration number is a much older series for this model though. The MO Series IV was probably introduced around 56/57 and the regn number going here at that time was the WBC/WBD series, if I'm not mistaken. Not knowing when an import like this arrived, but it certainly couldn't have arrived before being made! But maybe a few leftover older numbers were also assigned later, I don't know. Indian MkIs also got going with WBC/WBD to WBE and WBF last in West Bengal. But back to this car, great sighting! Thanks for sharing, you've made my day, or evening rather!

Last edited by Prabal : 13th February 2009 at 19:30.
Old 13th February 2009, 20:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Wow, John this is rare. A Morris Oxford IV Traveller she is for sure, the Indian Amby Station-Wagons had a different profile. The shape of the hatch, the creases, the small hatch at the bottom with the quaint handle, side beadings, the rear door and glasses, the D-pillar, et all(see also the twin fuel filler system - the left hand side filler neck is visible here and the fuel cap on the outside right in the previous picture). Googling should tell us some more. Unlike the rear bumper, hope the front is original - bumper, grille, lights, etc.

The registration number is a much older series for this model though. The MO Series IV was probably introduced around 56/57 and the regn number going here at that time was the WBC/WBD series, if I'm not mistaken. Not knowing when an import like this arrived, but it certainly couldn't have arrived before being made! But maybe a few leftover older numbers were also assigned later, I don't know. Indian MkIs also got going with WBC/WBD to WBE and WBF last in West Bengal. But back to this car, great sighting! Thanks for sharing, you've made my day, or evening rather!
I will have check and see just how informed P.K. is, might be nice to give him some background on his car. His son has the internet connection as most of us old folks just can cope with these new fangle toys.

I have heard that here in the lovely state of West of Something they do recycle old plate numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I'm probably little off here. Did I say anything about chromed Fiat hub cap before? Or is this for somebody else? Sorry If I'm sounding dumb.
I thought I was responding to Karl, soosorry to have put you on the "chair in the corner of the classroom!"

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th March 2009 at 17:41. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2009, 16:57   #13
BHPian

Getting to Know Calcutta's Restorer/Collectors & Collector/Restorers

I have had the privilege of being a Judge at the Calcutta Statesman Rally and Concours over the past five years and have been attending it for over ten years, one of the highlights of our wintering here away from the Cold winters in Toronto.

It's been great getting to know so many of the collectors and having the opportunity to check out their cars in detail and offer any guidance or help in "getting" things right, so that they can become as close to how they came out of the factory and to be more competitive.

My brother and I purchased our first car, a Model A Ford as we both turned 15 and in the subsequent years about 50 cars and bikes have passed my way, most of them requiring little major restoration as there were a lot to choose from.

We had a close friend who was doing a ground up restoration, piece by piece, of his 1926 Model T Ford touring in his basement and garage during our university years. I can remember, as if it was yesterday, the First Drive in his 'new" T; what a sweet sound and the elegance, and for me the awe that I had for his perseverance, dedication and finely developed skills. He is now a retired school teacher, living up in the lakes country specializing in restoring old wooden boats and still drive his Model "T".

Apart from appreciating all the cars, good and bad, (and there is no such thing as a bad old car) my greatest pleasure is visiting the Works to see what and how things are being done and the many magic "ten fingers" that bring these cars back to life under such primitive working conditions.

I hope to profile as many of the Calcutta Collector/Restorers and Restorer/Collectors as possible while I am here and would encourage any of the Calcutta Family to take a sense of ownership of this thread as this is about all of us here who share the same passion.

Definitions;
A Restorer/Collector is one whose business is to take in cars to restore and collects them as well.
A Collector/Restorer is one who collects cars and restores them for himself while occasionally passing some on.

I would say that Sanjay Ghosh would be classified as a R/C and Chowdhury is moving from a C/R to a R/C
I am sure there are some other variations and welcome any comments

Well I hope that this thread will shed some light on what's happening in Calcutta/Kolkata and perhaps something similar could be done in some of the other Centers,
Old 27th February 2009, 16:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coomar View Post
Is Sanjoy working on some restoration currently? would like to drop in and watch his people bring a vintage back to life.
Have you checked out the thread on him yet?
Shows all his own cars and some that has done.
Old 14th March 2009, 14:53   #15
BHPian

Hi John,

Is that Fiat Topoloino in yellow up for restoration ? is this car owned by Sanjay himself or this belongs to any customer ?

If after restoration he is interested in selling it do let me know

regards,
Sanjeev

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks