Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 11:50   #31
BHPian

Re: AJS Motorcycle

I am amazed at the rides of Powertwin and Dussey, especially your Triumph 3H sir. TN has a lot of vintage rides still running around in pristine condition. I was just riding through Comibatore and I spotted a Triumph tiger cub, Triumph Speed Twin, an early Royal Enfield Bullet -- the one which comes with magneto, two Willys and even a Matchless... all in one day!!!
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 18:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Unfortunately 2002 Royal Enfield Bullet ain't no Brit. It is 100% Desi!!!
Yes Leepower,

But, just for example, what do you call an Indian living in England for 50yrs?
Yes ofcourse, he will still be an INDIAN.
so the same thing goes with Bullets. Even though made here, they still very much remain BRITISH.
And REML is trying to bring the charm back by the Classic model except for the powerplant. Its justified but, as there will be hardly any buyer if they introduce the same technology with these looks.
Old 15th July 2011, 21:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Yes Leepower,

But, just for example, what do you call an Indian living in England for 50yrs?
Yes ofcourse, he will still be an INDIAN.
so the same thing goes with Bullets. Even though made here, they still very much remain BRITISH.
And REML is trying to bring the charm back by the Classic model except for the powerplant. Its justified but, as there will be hardly any buyer if they introduce the same technology with these looks.

Indian living in England and still not a British citizen would be called stupid!!!
Boss even I own a Bullet, that too a 1978 Bull, but she ain't a Brit. She is 100% desi.
If we go by your argument then all the Hero Hondas, Yamaha RX 100s, even my Suzuki Heat would be videshis!!!
The one reason why everyone is crazy about a 'Brit' Royal Enfield (pre-1969, correct me if I am wrong) is not just the vintage value, but also build-quality. A friend owns a 1963 Bullet. It was given to him by his dad, who got it from his dad. The bike doesn't even have a single rust spot. In 2011, I cancelled my Classic 500 booking, after finding rust spots on bikes which were kept for delivery at Pune showroom. Other reason for cancelling the bike was horror stories about how unreliable the modern bike was with the electronic fuel injection, sprang clutch. Sure RE got British technology, but over time Royal Enfield which churns out 'Brits' from Madras lost it and starts making unreliable machines which are mass produced, but lack quality and refinement of the old British models.

Last edited by Leepower : 15th July 2011 at 21:58.
Old 16th July 2011, 09:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
The one reason why everyone is crazy about a 'Brit' Royal Enfield (pre-1969, correct me if I am wrong) is not just the vintage value, but also build-quality. A friend owns a 1963 Bullet. It was given to him by his dad, who got it from his dad. The bike doesn't even have a single rust spot. .
Yes that's one thing that we envy. Maybe we Indians should learn something about "Build Quality" from 'Videshis'.

The story of your friend's 1963 Bullet seems very interesting. Such a glory cylce he owns-i know how precious it must be to him. Even my dad used to ride a Bullet (1973 model-not british but surely with the heavy crank).
But he sold it when i was 2yrs old! If i could have convinced him--
Old 16th July 2011, 14:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Indian living in England and still not a British citizen would be called stupid!!!
Boss even I own a Bullet, that too a 1978 Bull, but she ain't a Brit. She is 100% desi.
If we go by your argument then all the Hero Hondas, Yamaha RX 100s, even my Suzuki Heat would be videshis!!!
Citizenship is one thing and the basic character/genes is another. I would say the Bullet may have become Indian by citizenship but still remains largely British by nature/genes.
Old 16th July 2011, 15:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Yes that's one thing that we envy. Maybe we Indians should learn something about "Build Quality" from 'Videshis'. The story of your friend's 1963 Bullet seems very interesting. Such a glory cylce he owns-i know how precious it must be to him. Even my dad used to ride a Bullet (1973 model-not british but surely with the heavy crank).
But he sold it when i was 2yrs old! If i could have convinced him--
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
Citizenship is one thing and the basic character/genes is another. I would say the Bullet may have become Indian by citizenship but still remains largely British by nature/genes.
Interesting. What would you consider an Ambassador to be? They did change the name, but kept on using the same old tooling leading to unreliability and bad finish. My take is that todays Bullets, just like the Amby are Indian, British only from the origin point of view.

Cheers harit
Old 16th July 2011, 15:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I am amazed at the rides of Powertwin and Dussey, especially your Triumph 3H sir. TN has a lot of vintage rides still running around in pristine condition. I was just riding through Comibatore and I spotted a Triumph tiger cub, Triumph Speed Twin, an early Royal Enfield Bullet -- the one which comes with magneto, two Willys and even a Matchless... all in one day!!!
You are right, there are still quite a few bikes here in Tamil Nadu . Yet another bike is getting restored by me, its a '52, BSA C-11, 250cc in final stages. Perhaps in a month or two, you can see pics posted.
Old 16th July 2011, 18:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
You are right, there are still quite a few bikes here in Tamil Nadu . Yet another bike is getting restored by me, its a '52, BSA C-11, 250cc in final stages. Perhaps in a month or two, you can see pics posted.
Just Amazing. How do you source parts for your beauties sir??? Next time I am in Chennai, will surely come and see you collection (if you let me) sir.
Regards,
Sam
Old 17th July 2011, 14:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Just Amazing. How do you source parts for your beauties sir??? Next time I am in Chennai, will surely come and see you collection (if you let me) sir.
Regards,
Sam
It sure will be a pleasure . You can also see my Scale Model collection of around 350. Please see some pics in the link given in my profile page.
Dussey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 19:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
It sure will be a pleasure . You can also see my Scale Model collection of around 350. Please see some pics in the link given in my profile page.

Thank you sir. You garage is like J Leno's garage. It shows how passionate you are about your cars and bikes.
Sir I have a query. How do you prevent these beauties from getting rusted in Chennai weather ie near sea, salt and humidity??? I live in Pune, even then it is a pain to keep my 74 Yezdi and 78 Bullet rust-free.
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 19:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir. You garage is like J Leno's garage. It shows how passionate you are about your cars and bikes.
Sir I have a query. How do you prevent these beauties from getting rusted in Chennai weather ie near sea, salt and humidity??? I live in Pune, even then it is a pain to keep my 74 Yezdi and 78 Bullet rust-free.
Thanks for your appreciation. Rust is certainly an issue here in Chennai, due to the high humidity levels and salt air, especially since I live close to the sea.
I intend having a dehumidifier installed in my garage display,and am hoping there will be some effect.
Old 9th June 2015, 16:29   #42

Quote:
Lovely bike powertwin, high quality restoration !
Some pictures of my '46 AJS 16M 'Rigid' .
Dussey / Powertwin, just loved the restoration on both your bikes. I'm planning to restore mine but would require a few original parts which I'm trying to source. Any help would be appreciated from you both. I'm based in bangalore

brian - 9886101005
Old 16th April 2020, 13:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

Reviving and dusting out an old thread

Just chanced up on this thread today. For some reason never bothered to look for a AJS Thread in TBHP.

Ok this is the picture of my AJS

Model: 1955 500 Twin

AJS Motorcycle-img_2347-.jpg

AJS Motorcycle-img_2344-.jpg

Got it restored back in 2011 and I finally got the papers etc in order in December 2019 (delay was partially due to my take it easy attitude and process involved in transferring it from MH to KL). The bike is now a native of Trivandrum - stable mate of my RD 350

Some incorrect parts are there on it currently. Hope to have it fully restored as soon as feasible

Hope you like the pics (had put this in the Vintage Bikes in India thread I think)

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 11:04   #44
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ok this is the picture of my AJS

Model: 1955 500 Twin

Hope you like the pics (had put this in the Vintage Bikes in India thread I think)

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Hi Ram,

Great to see pictures of your AJS Twin, thanks for sharing

Your triplet of Twins, AJS, RD & Triumph must be making your ownership experience so rewarding

Happy motoring

Cheers

KPS
Old 7th November 2023, 11:29   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Today's article in deRivas and Ives features a 1927, AJS H7 that's still in fine fettle.

https://magazine.derivaz-ives.com/a-...o-the-present/
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks