Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 10:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

AJS Motorcycle

Spotted this bike when I went with my friend to get his Electra for service. Heard from the owner that this bike was on display at the Chennai Auto Show! He offered us a ride too in this classic bike .
Attached Thumbnails
AJS Motorcycle-25012009.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-25012009001.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-25012009002.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-25012009003.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-25012009005.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-25012009006.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-25012009007.jpg  

Old 13th February 2009, 11:31   #2
BHPian

What a sweet bike awaiting a good restoration! Thanks for the photos.

Way back in 1968 I purchased a 1926 ish AJS 500 cc with a oil pump lub system from a fellow down the street that he had started restoring, I put it back together but as it needed some mechanical work sold it to a friend who finished off and later sold it to a Museum. One of the ones I wished i had kept!

What's a bike like this worth in this condition and costs to have it restored properly?
Old 13th February 2009, 12:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Spotted this bike when I went with my friend to get his Electra for service. Heard from the owner that this bike was on display at the Chennai Auto Show! He offered us a ride too in this classic bike .
Hey buddy this is just an AJS, they were not related to Royal Enfield in anyway other than the country. Really beautiful bikes. These are very similar to the Matchless G3L.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:23   #4
BANNED

:( Why has he left this beautiful machine in such a state. Do ask him to restore it.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:44   #5
BHPian

Looks like 40's AJS M16, nothing to do with Royal Enfield......

Please ask him to bring back the glory
Old 13th February 2009, 16:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The bike is probably in original paint, and looks like its a runner. I like the rat look, I would leave it as is
Old 13th February 2009, 16:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The bike is probably in original paint, and looks like its a runner. I like the rat look, I would leave it as is
Moi Aussi!

Originality is KING!

FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE HERE'S A 1918 +/- DOUGLAS THAT WE SEE AT THE STATESMAN HERE.
Attached Thumbnails
AJS Motorcycle-statesman-08-103.jpg  

Last edited by john a milne : 13th February 2009 at 16:41. Reason: ADD PHOTOS
Old 13th February 2009, 17:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Hey buddy this is just an AJS, they were not related to Royal Enfield in anyway other than the country. Really beautiful bikes. These are very similar to the Matchless G3L.
Don't know how the Royal Enfield got there, two different breeds!

I haven't had a bike for a long time and have parking space for some, wife permitting. I keep seeing the Enfields with side cars mounted, looks COOL!
Any comments, been told the 500s are not that reliable.
Old 13th February 2009, 18:16   #9
BHPian

I think you should get a bike but if you get one with the sidecar make sure it is endorsed in the RC book, unless you planning to use the sidecar just for rallies or other occasions where the cops wont catch you.

As for the 500s being unreliable, they are actually as realiable or unreliable as the 350s. Ive been riding both for some time and dont find any problem that is particular with the 350. Also since the Indian 500s released pretty late, I mean after the sidecars where "banned," I dont think U will find one with the side car, unless someone has fit a 500 engine on his old 350.

I would say, U get a good old 350. The older the better

All the best. If you need any help in this regard, please let me know.
Old 13th February 2009, 19:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

Look at the pics i have posted in this thread > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...a-ajs-etc.html

It looks like the same model. Late 1940s i think.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th February 2009 at 19:46.
Old 13th February 2009, 20:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I think you should get a bike but if you get one with the sidecar make sure it is endorsed in the RC book, unless you planning to use the sidecar just for rallies or other occasions where the cops wont catch you.

As for the 500s being unreliable, they are actually as realiable or unreliable as the 350s. Ive been riding both for some time and dont find any problem that is particular with the 350. Also since the Indian 500s released pretty late, I mean after the sidecars where "banned," I dont think U will find one with the side car, unless someone has fit a 500 engine on his old 350.

I would say, U get a good old 350. The older the better

All the best. If you need any help in this regard, please let me know.
Thanks for the advice.

I've seen a lot of sidecars here in calcutta, someone told me most were used by municipal people but i've seen many with families in them. Will check with some bike shops.

When I was in Beijing I saw a number of Ex military copies of the BMW with side cars that had been restored and one had been imported into Toronto and was considering bring one in with container of our Chinese antique furniture but was never able to find one readily available, cost would have been about R 80,000. I have some photos back in TO and will post them later for the record. Awesome looking and by the looks well restored.

Following are some photos I took in Guwahati last week of Pickloo Deka's collection of bikes that I had posted on the thread Guwahati vintage & classic cars, should have included bikes as well.
Attached Thumbnails
AJS Motorcycle-img_4552.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4548.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4549.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4586.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4588.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4589.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4590.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4595.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4600.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4643.jpg  

Old 13th February 2009, 22:10   #12
BHPian

John: Wow that is some collection of two wheelers. Love the first one, cant fingure out which one it is though. Nice to see a Vicky (Victoria) and Yezdi 350 Twin among the BSAs and Nortons.

I wish I can lay my hands on one of the bicycles, especially the first one (because it has the BSA Winged Wheel with it). These are the BSA Airborne/Paratrooper/Parabike, goes by many names. These are foldable and light for that era. These were manufactured during the WWII for a very short while, Im guessing between 1942 and 1944. Estimated to have made around 70k of them. The soldiers disliked them and were discarded more often than not. Once there were other motorized two-wheeler options, like the Corgi, these just became obsolete. There were quite an excess in the factory and were sold to the public for very less.

What is the last vehicle? Some sort of weapons carrier? Hehe, is the Rhino a part of his collection too?

The chinese bikes you are talking about is the Chiang-Jiang. They are similar to the BMW R71. They were used by the Chinese PLA first. They are still in production. They are something like what Royal Enfields are to us in terms of military use and the present trend. I have quite a few friends who work in China and ride these bikes, all of them were riding the REs here.

Last edited by TuffRyder : 13th February 2009 at 22:18.
Old 13th February 2009, 23:03   #13
BHPian

[quote=TuffRyder;1170910]John: Wow that is some collection of two wheelers. Love the first one, cant fingure out which one it is though. Nice to see a Vicky (Victoria) and Yezdi 350 Twin among the BSAs and Nortons.

The first one is an Albion, Pickloo thinks it's a 1901 but it feels more like a 20's although I'm not an authority. Tried to check it out but not too swift.

The three wheeler could be a Japanese munitions carrier which he found at the scrap yard ad had to pay a good price for it. Looks awesome!

Here's some more photos for your pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
AJS Motorcycle-img_4591.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4592.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4593.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-img_4587.jpg  

Old 15th February 2009, 13:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude,

I have the weakest knowledge about bikes and when its a classic then my knowledge is too vague to quote.

The owner told me its an Enfield AJS and I did quote here the same
Old 15th February 2009, 13:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

The AJS and the Matchless bikes were made by the same company. Enfield was a different company.

Late modle AJS and Matchless bikes were the same but with different badges.

Most Viewed