Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 09:47   #1
BHPian

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh

Sanjay has the oldest Restoration Works in Calcutta and has been a collector since he was 20 when he convinced his grandfather not to sell their 1932 Ford Model "B" V8, that had been in the family since new and was subsequently gifted to him.

So began his journey as a Collector and finally opening up his own restoration works, "Rajiv Auto Centre" in 1976 at his old family home in the heart South Calcutta.

I will be posting a more detailed account of his journey and some of the cars that he has brought back to life.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-sanjay-ghosh-004.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4445.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2009, 10:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sir.

A slight correction if I may.

In 1932 there were two cars in the Ford lineup, the new Model B which was an updated version of the Model A with the old four cylinder engine.

The other was the Model 18 which had almost the same body but sported the new Ford Flathead V8 engine. This was always refered to as the "Ford V8".

The 1 in the Model 18 stood for "First" and the 8 refered to the V8 engine signifying Fords first V8 powered car which also happened to be the first succesfull V8 in a low priced car.
Old 24th February 2009, 18:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Sir.

A slight correction if I may.

I.
Thanks for the input, I am continually amazed how knowledgeable so many of the members are.

I grew up just outside Windsor Ontario where the Ford & Chrysler Canadian plants were located and just across the river from Detroit the "Mo-town" of America. We lived in the shadow of the auto industry and subsequently lived and breathed cars.

As i recall the we just referred to the 1932's as a Model Bs with out much distinction as most were V8s. Not much change from the "A" except for the new rad and of course the optional V8. It would seem here in India and elsewhere a greater distinction was made as I never recall hearing about the 1932 ford Model-18.

Whatever the case, Sanjay's 32 V8 would be considered a 99.50 pt car at any N.A. Concours, a little higher if he took off some of his Club Badges.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4275.jpg  

Last edited by john a milne : 24th February 2009 at 19:00. Reason: correction
john a milne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2009, 19:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Thanks for the input, I am continually amazed how knowledgeable so many of the members are.

I grew up just outside Windsor Ontario where the Ford & Chrysler Canadian plants were located and just across the river from Detroit the "Mo-town" of America. We lived in the shadow of the auto industry and subsequently lived and breathed cars.

As i recall the we just referred to the 1932's as a Model Bs with out much distinction as most were V8s. Not much change from the "A" except for the new rad and of course the optional V8. It would seem here in India and elsewhere a greater distinction was made as I never recall hearing about the 1932 ford Model-18.

Whatever the case, Sanjay's 32 V8 would be considered a 99.50 pt car at any N.A. Concours, a little higher if he took off some of his Club Badges.
John - Could you introduce Sanjay to the forum or post his Workshop address / contact information. It would be an asset to us members in the east working on our classics.
Old 24th February 2009, 19:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
John - Could you introduce Sanjay to the forum or post his Workshop address / contact information. It would be an asset to us members in the east working on our classics.
Sanjay Ghosh,
Rajiv Auto Centre,
6 Mandeville Gardens, Calcutta, 700 019

98 3103 8898
rajivautocentre@yahoo.com
Old 24th February 2009, 21:03   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

What a well maintained car. That it has remained in the family since new makes it a special car indeed. Looking forward to more on Mr. Ghosh and his brilliant work.
Old 24th February 2009, 21:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
What a well maintained car. That it has remained in the family since new makes it a special car indeed. Looking forward to more on Mr. Ghosh and his brilliant work.
Well maintained I think is an understatement !! It still has the original key with the key ring and the original bill !! And as Sanjay says, he learnt all about automobiles from this car. He gave up a career in drilling for crude to set up his own workshop.
Old 25th February 2009, 00:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

some of his other cars. please correct me if i'm wrong.
all are from the statesman rally.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-111.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-112.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-113.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-114.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-115.jpg  

amit V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2009, 01:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
some of his other cars. please correct me if i'm wrong.
all are from the statesman rally.
Right on, I missed the Rally but there is always next year.
Old 25th February 2009, 01:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right on, I missed the Rally but there is always next year.
i too missed the Tolly club show but was fortunate enough to see your blue fiat 2 days back near Hazra more. it looks great.
Old 25th February 2009, 08:02   #11
BHPian

Thanks a lot for posting such nice cars, The cars are beautiful, should give a visit to his garage.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:35   #12
BHPian

John thanks for sharing nice pictures of the cars. Can you please post Maroon colour car half visible inside the compound gate, looks like Rover.

Look forward to see more pictures.

Regards,
Old 25th February 2009, 12:49   #13
BHPian

SANJAY'S CARS at the Tolly Car Show.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4292.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4291.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4285.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4286.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 26th February 2009, 18:04   #14

Sanjoy and his cars

Quote:
Sanjay has the oldest Restoration Works in Calcutta and has been a collector since he was 20 when he convinced his grandfather not to sell their 1932 Ford Model "B" V8, that had been in the family since new and was subsequently gifted to him.

So began his journey as a Collector and finally opening up his own restoration works, "Rajiv Auto Centre" in 1976 at his old family home in the heart South Calcutta.

I will be posting a more detailed account of his journey and some of the cars that he has brought back to life.
I remember my grandfather used to visit their house some 30 years back.Whenver I've passed by his house I've noticed a great looking beauty or two parked inside.I know the gentleman associated with him IB who happens to be my neighbour.By the way, the guy standing beside the caddy in one of those pictures is my brother. John I like your car too.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:08   #15
BHPian

1936 Cadillac

This photos were taken last year over a period of just two weeks before the Statesman Rally, remarkable work in such a short time that he can do when pushed. Some work was redone later to bring it up to his standard.

Can't say all his projects move that quickly but the end result is worth waiting for.

I was particularly taken by the intake and exhaust manifolds, not to mention the Car itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-11.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-13.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-14.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-21.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-12.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-2.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-3.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-4.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_3087.jpg  

Most Viewed