Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
A few photos of the 1914 Wolseley Limo-Landaulet and the 1923 Rolls that many years ago he used as his daily driver.
Wow, I haven't seen that Rolls before. That radiator grille makes it a Silver Ghost? Can you get us the commission numbers and/or history of the car John? I really like the colour coupled with this bodystyle. Genuine or later conversion?
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:52   #17
BHPian

What a lovely and great collection of vintage beauties.

Thanks for sharing John.
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:42   #18

Rolls " silver Ghost "

Quote:
Some poor shots of a very rare 1923 Moon from the U.S. and photos of the Citron starting restoration up to the first test drive late December getting ready for the Tolly and Statesman Car shows.
Dear John,
I really was happy to see that Shashi has still got the car regd as WGK 140, which you upgraded to 40/50 H.P. , but is ,in reality a very lovely and lively 20 H.P. which he has had for a long time and which I last saw about 25 + yrs ago at the Calcutta rally, when, yrs truly was a
rather humble participant in anything that came my way. I do not remember the chassis numbers or coachbuilder.It may be a rebodied car,but I'm not willing to swear to it.Just a perception based on old sightings........
The Moon is indeed rare, I'm also hoping to see this car again.
Regards ,
Raja Mookerjee.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:40   #19
BHPian

S.Kanoria's Twenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Mookerjee View Post
Dear John,
I really was happy to see that Shashi has still got the car regd as WGK 140, which you upgraded to 40/50 H.P. , but is ,in reality a very lovely and lively 20 H.P. which he has had for a long time and which I last saw about 25 + yrs ago at the Calcutta rally, when, yrs truly was a
rather humble participant in anything that came my way. I do not remember the chassis numbers or coachbuilder.It may be a rebodied car,but I'm not willing to swear to it.Just a perception based on old sightings........
The Moon is indeed rare, I'm also hoping to see this car again.
Regards ,
Raja Mookerjee.
The chassis number is #59S3. It carried a fabric body at some, with vertical louvres in the scuttle but I see that it's been replaced with a panelled one. The wood frame was apparently retained.
A.B.
park-ward is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2009, 02:53   #20
BHPian

Dad's blue RR 20hp

Hi everybody, as correctly put forward by Raja uncle, this is a 20hp, and has been with Dad since the 70's. In fact it was in regular use till 1989. I was brought as a new born too in this car in 1981. So this is like a family member to us. Yes the chassis number is '59 S3'. As regards to the body, unfortunately the plate is missing since we acquired her. As commented by the gentleman, might be having a fabric on the rear pannels in the yesteryears, but surely inst rebodied. This is a sports roadster perhaps thats why the louvers were taken off. We intend to take up the restoration of this car later this year. We have been consolidating our cars one by one and '59S3' has to wait no more. My wants are to change the colour to silver, but the suggestions of all you members are solicited. Once this is done we would be putting our hands on to the Phantom 1 1925. I am awaiting the moment when 59S3 hits the roads again as this is by far the preetiest 20hp known to me atleast. I thank John uncle for his grat contribution. CHEERZ!!!!
Old 4th March 2009, 10:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shrivardhan.

Welcome to the forum.

We have heard a lot about your families cars and would love it if you could add more facts on them.

It would be great to hear about the history of the Rolls 20 and how it was aquired. Likewise for all your cars.

Also please post pictures of the Phantom 1 you talk about.

Does this mean you have three RRs counting the black 20 displayed at the Cartier event ?
Old 4th March 2009, 11:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrivardhan View Post
Hi everybody, as correctly put forward by Raja uncle, this is a 20hp, and has been with Dad since the 70's. In fact it was in regular use till 1989. I was brought as a new born too in this car in 1981. So this is like a family member to us.
That's a great story, we keenly look forward to completion of the car.

What was the story with the car before being purchased by you? Was is from a royal family? Which one?
Old 4th March 2009, 12:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Shrivardhan.

Welcome to the forum.

We have heard a lot about your families cars and would love it if you could add more facts on them.

It would be great to hear about the history of the Rolls 20 and how it was aquired. Likewise for all your cars.

Also please post pictures of the Phantom 1 you talk about.

Does this mean you have three RRs counting the black 20 displayed at the Cartier event ?
The black 20HP RR Udaipur hand controls now belongs to Orissa and had even been reregistered with an OR no plate and no. 1
Old 5th March 2009, 02:07   #24
BHPian

Here are some shots of the 1930 big Chevy touring that is close to being finished and looks very fine except for a few items.

I don't recall seeing a similar big Chevy in all my years and plan on doing some research to see just how rare it is.

India certainly had some great cars shipped in and I am so pleased to see how well they are being appreciated and well restored.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Collector/Restorers-Shashi Kanoria-img_4763.jpg  

Calcutta-Collector/Restorers-Shashi Kanoria-img_4762.jpg  

Calcutta-Collector/Restorers-Shashi Kanoria-img_3986.jpg  

Calcutta-Collector/Restorers-Shashi Kanoria-img_4766.jpg  

Calcutta-Collector/Restorers-Shashi Kanoria-img_3981.jpg  

Calcutta-Collector/Restorers-Shashi Kanoria-img_3984.jpg  

Calcutta-Collector/Restorers-Shashi Kanoria-img_3979.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 5th March 2009, 02:19   #25
BHPian

Shrivardhan Kanoria

Hi, Following is my collection:
1906 RENAULT FRERES
1914 WOLSELEY LIMO-LANDAULET
1919 ANDRE CITROEN TORPEDO
1920 MOON TORPEDO
1923 RR 20HP ROADSTER
1923 FIAT ROADSTER
1925 RR PHANTOM 1 TOURER
1929 CHEVY PHAETON
1948 BUICK SUPER EIGHT
1949 MG TC ROADSTER
1951 CHEVY STYLINE DELUXE
1959 FORD FAIRLANE GALAXY
1961 MGA ROADSTER
1961 ROVER P5 3 LTR
1965 DUNE BUGGY

1939 BSA M20 600cc

As I am in England till March end, I could only post the pics including the RR P1 after which. The Udaipur RR has been passed on to a close friend, but was in a wreck when we acquired it. I would try posting the resoration pics. To get most of the photos please visit my facebook. Find 'Shrivardhan Kanoria'. The RRP1 has been with us since Grand Dad's days, and history of which is too old to be known. The blue RR 20hp was acquired from a Bengal Royal Family. The Moon is also ex-Udaipur HRH, and was bought along with the black RR 20hp '64 H9'. Cheerz!
Old 5th March 2009, 09:20   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Wow that is some collection. Time permitting do please profile each one of these cars with info on its history, interesting anecdotes and above all how the family's love affair with cars began, how all have sustained it etc. It would make for some wonderful reading, not to mention an opportunity to get to know you guys well.

Thanks
Old 5th March 2009, 10:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some shots of the 1930 big Chevy touring that is close to being finished and looks very fine except for a few items.

I don't recall seeing a similar big Chevy in all my years and plan on doing some research to see just how rare it is.

India certainly had some great cars shipped in and I am so pleased to see how well they are being appreciated and well restored.
Great pictures again John.

One question that is begging to be asked is that are these cars being restored or refurbished.

As you can see in the pictures the electricals have been upgraded to 12 volts and a lot of modern cut outs etc are being used. Also the wiring being used is not even close to what the car would have actually come with.

This is not what would be expected from a knowledgeable and fastidious restorer. This is a refurbishment of convenience and the car will be forever marred.

Think out all the holes they had to make in hte cowl to fit the cutouts etc.

Are all cars in this workshop / collection worked on in a similar fashion ?
Old 5th March 2009, 11:10   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrivardhan View Post
Hi, Following is my collection:
Enviable collection indeed. What is the history with the Renault?

What really fascinates me the most is the setting where these are housed, it looks truly enchanting! Can't take two steps without hitting or stepping on a car or part

Last edited by karlosdeville : 5th March 2009 at 11:16.
Old 5th March 2009, 20:27   #29
BHPian

Chevy Restoration

Hi All, The Chevy Pictured Has Gone Through Extensive Restoration. The Car Was In A Sad State When We Bought It.it Was Owned By A Up Zamindaar Who Had Thrown The Car To The Open Atmosphere In The Backyards Of His Dilapidated Kind Of Castle. This Car Had Alot Of Missing Parts And The Body Was Apsolutely Rotten. But To Our Good Luck, Dad Has A Huge Stock Of Spares Where We Could Find Whatever Was Missing. There Was No Sign Of Apholstry. So The Springs, Seat Frame , Everything Had To Be Fabricated As Per Original. Extensive Bodywork Has Been Done And The Pictures Shown Are 3 Months After Paint Finish. The Engine Is Just Been Overhauled, And Now Working On The Gearbox. Rest Of The Mechanicals, Diff,steering Box,etc, Have Been Completed. The Steering You See In The Pics Are Temporary,we Have The Original One. Yes, The Wiring Has Been Converted To 12 Volts Including The Self And Dynamo, For Assistance In Regular Use. The Wiring Is Not Over Yet, Because Of Which Open Wire Is Visible.once Complete, Everything Would Be Concealed.i Would Post The Pics Once The Car Is Complete.please Note That We Take As Much Care In Finishing The Engine Area As The Exterior. The Car Is Far From Complete Right Now And Theres Loads To Be Done.one More Information- We Restore Cars For Ourselves As A Hobby And Are Well Known For Our Finish. There Are Many Restorations Ive Come Across Which Are Worth Puking At, But Needless To Say A Few Are Remarkable. The Kind Of Attention To Detail Put Onto Our Cars Whether It Be A Rr Or A Bsa Is Equaly Intense.for Those Who Have Doubts On Our Restoration,all The Best And Have A Nice Day. For Those Who Like Appreciating Good Things, You Are Wellcome To Come Along And See The Collection And Meetup, As I Am A Die Hard Encourager Of The Hobby. Feel Free To Contact Me On 09830830000 Post 23rd Of March, As I Would Be In India Since Then For Three Weeks.i Welcome Constructive Advice From All You Petrolheads.. Cheerz!

Note from Mod - Please avoid capitalizing every word, and please use some paragraph formatting in order to improve readability. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th March 2009 at 11:33. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 5th March 2009, 23:39   #30
BHPian

SVK just emailed a shot of the Rolls taken a while back all polished up.
It should be stunning when done up!

What's the white car off to the left? Looks very interesting!
Is it the Moon?
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Collector/Restorers-Shashi Kanoria-dsc00556.jpg  

Calcutta-Collector/Restorers-Shashi Kanoria-calcutta-064.jpg  

Most Viewed