Team-BHP - Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Vintage Cars & Classics in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/)
-   -   Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/54844-top-ten-collectible-cars-located-india-15.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by awini (Post 1988951)
how many 12 cylinder two seater sports cars left in india? :-)

I am aware of yours and the Kanpur Daimler, not sure if the Bhogilal car is a roadster or a 2+2

The 1937 Rolls Royce 25/30 Cabrio is apparently owned by my Grandfather in Calcutta, Mr. Monem. Adding to his exuberant collection is a Gorgeous Bentley. It's either a 3.5 Litre or a 4.25 Litre. I'm not being able to recall the exact year of manufacture at this moment therefore I need to be reassured before I get back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMK2210 (Post 1989470)
The 1937 Rolls Royce 25/30 Cabrio is apparently owned by my Grandfather in Calcutta. He owns a Gorgeous Bentley as well.

I personally like his 4dr convertible the most. Its the prettiest convertible RR I have ever seen. She's a jewel !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMK2210 (Post 1989580)
The 1937 Rolls Royce 25/30 Cabrio is apparently owned by my Grandfather in Calcutta, Mr. Momen. Adding to his exuberant collection is a Gorgeous Bentley. It's either a 3.5 Litre or a 4.25 Litre. I'm not being able to recall the exact year of manufacture at this moment therefore I need to be reassured before I get back.

Confirmed, the Bentley is a 1939 3 1/2 Litre, bodied by Park Ward. I forgot to mention his 1938 Rolls Royce 25/30HP two door convertible and the Rolls Royce Phantom III, which originally belonged to his father. The car had been restored and made road worthy little over a year back if I remember correctly. The majestic Phantom runs as smooth as silk on its colossal 7.3L V12, again I'm unsure of the year. Sorry about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by awini (Post 1988951)
how many 12 cylinder two seater sports cars left in india? :-)

What sort of engine does the Gondal Packard have? I think it is a coupe.

Also, any 2 seater phantom 3s would have 12 cylinders :). I suppose there aren't any in India.

Aditya

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar (Post 1989040)
Does the V12 Auburn make a place for its self here in the top 10 ? Any pics of this car ?

I shall upload some photographs of the car once the car is ready, which is likely by end September, 2010.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti (Post 2006575)
I shall upload some photographs of the car once the car is ready, which is likely by end September, 2010.

Sir who is restoring this car ?

This thread hasn't been added to for almost a year.

If there is any news on the cars that were works in progress or cars that were being investigated I would be interested to hear it.

Have most of the truly world class cars (mentioned in the later top ten lists) been seen publicly between the two Cartier events by now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster789 (Post 1894087)

1. 540K
2. Bentley 8 Litre - Advocatus
3. Delahaye 135 M
4. Daimler Double Six
5. RR Silver Ghost Throne Car
6. Mercedes 500 K Gondol / Bombay
7. RR P II - Jodhpur No 27 94 RF
8. 8 Litre (Bhogilal)
9. Stutz - Titus
10. Marmon
10. Invicta S Type

The top 5 cars are, I think, without peer in the country at least and to put them in actual order would be very difficult.

An update with regard to values, as I still maintain it is the only only objective marker for a list of this nature.

Turns out a model of car no. 6 on my list has just seen a big result at auction. A 500k Special Roadster has just been sold by RM Auction for a staggering $3m.

Other news with regard to the models of the cars above would be two 540Ks that have just gone for circa $3m and $4m respectively. Again, at Auction.

I also believe that an English 8 Litre has gone for rumoured £1.75m. Rumoured to be the highest price the model has exchanged hands for in quite some time, perhaps ever in my opinion - if this is true(!). Most of them seem to go privately within the BDCL and those in the know.

I am not sure how the cars above compare to their classmates in India in terms of quality (I suspect the RM cars are superior), but the Mercedes figures are quite extraordinary in their consistency. 500 and 540K's appear to feature in auctions more widely than 8 Litre Bentleys. Anyone know how numbers of production compare? I can't be bothered to look it up.

This is my first post on this forum. I I have particular interest in vintage and classic cars, particularly those still undiscovered in places like South America, and of course, India!

This is the thread that I came to first and I have been reading for over an hour! What a wonderful set of machines!

I can see it's been a long time since it was updated. A number of the cars here were being discussed when they were still in disuse. Have they been restored?

What was the results of the poll in the end? I can't find it - apologies if it's obvious but I am not used to the format here yet!

If I want to correspond with some members here, who are the best people to speak to and are happy to be emailed? I would very much like to come to India and see all these cars if possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti (Post 2006575)

Would love to see a picture, before and after of this car if possible? That is if it has been restored yet, these things can take a lot longer than thought!

If Rossi's car was still around it would have arguably been the most valuable car in the country. A similar car has just gone unsold for £2.1 million.

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1060536

Price has gone higher yet again.

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1066533

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster789 (Post 3435536)

What were you expecting, that they might come down ?

It will be interesting to see what new cars come in under the new import law that might be appropriate to be included in the Top Ten Cars in India

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster789 (Post 1894087)
My list
1. 540K
2. Bentley 8 Litre - Advocatus
3. Delahaye 135 M
4. Daimler Double Six
5. RR Silver Ghost Throne Car
6. Mercedes 500 K Gondol / Bombay
7. RR P II - Jodhpur No 27 94 RF
8. 8 Litre (Bhogilal)
9. Stutz - Titus
10. Marmon
10. Invicta S Type

The top 5 cars are, I think, without peer in the country at least and to put them in actual order would be very difficult.

Here are the pictures of Late Mr. Ravi Kumar's 540K as she landed in Bangalore, unfortunately after his death. She was not running as the engine was still to be attended to.

Picture courtesy Mr. Jai Kumar,a close friend of Late Mr. Ravi Kumar, who unloaded the car on her arrival from Indore.

Mr. Jai Kumar recollects the following from his discussions from Late Mr. Ravi Kumar

Quote:

The car was bought in Mumbai for Rs. 7000. The car was supposedly owned by the Nepal Maharaja at one time. The mechanical work on this car was supposed to be completed in Bangalore.
What a beauty. The body work is superb
Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-dscn2721.jpg

Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-dscn2725.jpg

Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-dscn2726.jpg

The eight cylinder engine, though pending work
Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-dscn2727.jpg

Is that the super charger there?
Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-dscn2728.jpg

Cheers

KPS