Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2014, 21:34   #226
BHPian

Re: Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India

KPS, Thanks,!

These pictures brought back many happy memories of my friend Ravi.

This particular 540 seems to have a jinx. All the recent owners have suffered in some way or the other after they bought this car.

Historically, I am given to understand , an interesting car.When it was with Ravi, it had a problem with registration , a very large sum spent resulted in books being made in Bangalore, maybe twenty five or thirty years ago, for a price equivalent to the purchase price of NEW CARS at the time. The car had missing carbs and some other mechanicals including the internals of the super charger.

To my limited knowledge, no one had managed to get it going for decades. I wonder what fate has in store for it under the present ownership.

In my opinion, one of the prettier cars in India
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 16:13   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Some more details on this Alfa. Source Alfa Forums

SVA/SVZ *04249*: 1957-1958 with Mario Angioli; 1958-1959 with Silvano Bernabei, raced by "Lucky" (Battistoli?); 1959 with Clara Barbato, raced by Dario Sepe (note: Dario Sepe already raced in 1958 a Giulietta, but I do not believe it was SVZ *04249* since Bernabei was from Roma, and both Barbato/Sepe were Neapolitano; 1960 raced by Silvio Mandato (note: the book lists Sepe for the 19590927 Catania-Etna with No. 312, but Mandato was there and finished 2cl, Sepe is not listed with *04249* after this); 1961 sold to Renetto Venneli, General Manager of Alitalia Airlines India, Bombay (note: Renato Valli, Italian ambassador at Bombay, according to Giugno)

Great history but going by what is said about these cars most of them were rebodied by Zagato in the late 50's. The original SVZ by Zagato had the trademark Zagato Double Bubble style body.

Sure does qualify for the top 10 but can anyone shed more light on it ? What happened to the original engine and what got it to the state it is in now.

Some pics. The first is of the said car before it was imported to India, second and third of the car as is and the last is of a genuine Zagato Double Bubble SVZ.

Hey guys! I know im joining in rather late, but I stumbled upon this thread and couldn't help but be fascinated. Wanted to know where this car is currently, and if it is still lying left to rot. Would appreciate any information on it!
Old 30th October 2020, 17:48   #228
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebubble View Post
Hey guys! I know im joining in rather late, but I stumbled upon this thread and couldn't help but be fascinated. Wanted to know where this car is currently, and if it is still lying left to rot. Would appreciate any information on it!
A late reply but nonetheless, the car is still very much in India, resides in Chennai and it is being done up as we speak.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th November 2020 at 21:55. Reason: Small typo :)
A.K is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks